Halo 5: Guardians beta launches today for Xbox One Preview participants

Halo 5 beta launches today for Xbox One Preview participants

343 Industries and Microsoft are making the upcoming multiplayer beta for Halo 5: Guardians available to Xbox One Preview programme participants starting today.

Whereas the main multiplayer beta will require users to have purchased a copy of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, this short three-day beta period will only require users to be members of the Xbox One Preview programme, in which players download system updates early to provide Microsoft with feedback.

The beta launches today for Preview programme members and runs until 11.59pm PST on December 21 (that's 7.59am on December 22 UK time).

It will contain content from week 1 of the main multiplayer beta, whereas "the full beta will feature a total of seven maps, three game types and a host of weapons that are released across the three-week period", according to Microsoft.

Members of the programme will receive a message on their console with two download redemption codes. The first will download the beta software, the second will be a small key unlocking access.

Microsoft warns that both downloads are required to gain access to the beta, and that players are not allowed to give the codes away to anyone who isn't a Preview programme participant.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/483006/halo-5-beta-launches-today-for-xbox-one-preview-participants/

apparently codes are sent at 3PM EST, and beta opens up at 4PM EST,so less than an hour away. I have yet to receive any codes though.

I've just had my codes but am not able to access my console to play this weekend. 

If anyone wants them, send me a personal message and I'll send them over. 

Only those who are old Neowin users need apply :P

I've just had my codes but am not able to access my console to play this weekend. 

If anyone wants them, send me a personal message and I'll send them over. 

Only those who are old Neowin users need apply :p

It says in the preview dashboard app you can be banned from the preview program if you give your codes to someone else.

It says in the preview dashboard app you can be banned from the preview program if you give your codes to someone else.

Ah thanks for the heads up.

My offer has been rescinded :P

Any notable differences compared to the dozens of shooters that were released the last few years? Or is it another generic shooter?

The difference is that its halo, halo always played different than your run of the mill shooters like resistance,killzones,titanfall.

The difference is that its halo, halo always played different than your run of the mill shooters like resistance,killzones,titanfall.

The 30 minutes of gameplay I saw on Twitch don't look any different than any other newish shooter. Also, "its halo" means nothing.

The 30 minutes of gameplay I saw on Twitch don't look any different than any other newish shooter. Also, "its halo" means nothing.

Have you play halo? Halo has deep meta when it comes to power weapons, the use of combination of weapons,map control, tons of match making variants. It's not a game where you can spray and pray. Than you got forge, where you can make your own maps.

Theres a reason it has a huge mp community and other  MP shooters like killzone never had a competitive scene and mp just fizzled out.

Halo plays differently. It may look the same (I doubt) but gameplay is entirely different from other shooters.

I just played it for an hour and holy crap is it amazing. I think its just as good as Halo 2 or 3 if not better. It just plays so well and the mechanics really do feel like an evolution of halo. The gameplay feels like halo and nothing like any of the "generic" shooters that are mentioned in this thread. You just need to play for your self to understand.

It is Halo. Gameplay is tight. Nice and fluid.

However it does nothing new to distinguish itself from other MP FPS's out there these days. In fact I think after playing a game like Titanfall where there is much more mobility, the tried and true Halo approach actually starts to seem a tad dated. Do not get me wrong, it very much still has a place, I think this formula and approach will always have its place because it is such a classic approach, but there just is nothing special at all about what it is doing.

What it does it does damn good, but it is not rewriting the history books of the competitive shooter by any means. 

I imagine those who love previous entries in Halo will either love it right away or learn to love it after adjusting to the faster pace and small changes to the overall formula.

If people are somehow expecting a new MP experience like nothing they have ever played, that is not what this is bringing thus far, at least not with the modes on display in the Beta. It is Halo through and through.

However if you are just expecting the next iteration of the Halo series. I would say it delivers.

It is Halo. Gameplay is tight. Nice and fluid.

However it does nothing new to distinguish itself from other MP FPS's out there these days. In fact I think after playing a game like Titanfall where there is much more mobility, the tried and true Halo approach actually starts to seem a tad dated. Do not get me wrong, it very much still has a place, I think this formula and approach will always have its place because it is such a classic approach, but there just is nothing special at all about what it is doing.

What it does it does damn good, but it is not rewriting the history books of the competitive shooter by any means. 

I imagine those who love previous entries in Halo will either love it right away or learn to love it after adjusting to the faster pace and small changes to the overall formula.

If people are somehow expecting a new MP experience like nothing they have ever played, that is not what this is bringing thus far, at least not with the modes on display in the Beta. It is Halo through and through.

However if you are just expecting the next iteration of the Halo series. I would say it delivers.

It's a double age sword. Halo2\3 purest don't want running\climber\abliities in movement, they rather have the same movement as halo2/3. Than you got the casual players who would be like "wheres the run button". Halo5 seems like a good mix of movement with climber and no shield regen\shield regen start time changed when running.

I'm glad jetpack\evade is gone from halo.

I just played it for an hour and holy crap is it amazing. I think its just as good as Halo 2 or 3 if not better. It just plays so well and the mechanics really do feel like an evolution of halo. The gameplay feels like halo and nothing like any of the "generic" shooters that are mentioned in this thread. You just need to play for your self to understand.

"Gameplay feels like Halo".

Halo is a generic shooter, the only difference compared to most is it typically has a good single player campaign and story.

With that being said being a generic shooter doesn't mean its a bad game, it just doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

To me generic is Killzone\Resistance\COD\

"Gameplay feels like Halo".

Halo is a generic shooter, the only difference compared to most is it typically has a good single player campaign and story.

With that being said being a generic shooter doesn't mean its a bad game, it just doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

I think halo 5 is more mobile than the older ones from what I've seen now with the new boosting mechanic.

In fact I think after playing a game like Titanfall where there is much more mobility, the tried and true Halo approach actually starts to seem a tad dated. 

Different, not outdated, being different doesn't mean outdated, if that was the case Titanfall was outdated when Quake and Unreal tournament(the originals) came out. 

Titanfall is(was) fun, but... not everyone want to run around walls and dodge and run and bunny hop all day. heck some of us even enjoy a good round of slow tactical action in the new Ghost Recon game. 

Is it just me or does it seem like Halo 5 and Destiny are basically the same game just in a different shell?

The only new features in Halo 5 compared to previous halo's is the abilities like ground pound and charge which are same as the abilities in destiny.

Is it just me or does it seem like Halo 5 and Destiny are basically the same game just in a different shell?

The only new features in Halo 5 compared to previous halo's is the abilities like ground pound and charge which are same as the abilities in destiny.

Except Halo doesn't pretend to be an RPG giving those who already have no life and play more bigger and better weapons and abilities so that casual players don't have a chance, or making special multiplayer maps that can only be done with "friends".