Husband accidentally trades Xbox game with precious family photos inside

I always laugh when reading these and think "yet the card was soooo important before that no one, at anytime, thought of removing it, backing it up and storing it in a more secure (and logical) place.  Yet now, it is suddenly important enough to tear the whole house apart in looking for it".  If it's important, then it's important 24/7/365 - not just when it gets lost.

We temporarily kept our ultrasound pictures in a magazine to keep them flat while we transferred them from the hospital to home. I didn't take them out right away. My wife threw out the magazine. Stuff happens, you deal with it.

We temporarily kept our ultrasound pictures in a magazine to keep them flat while we transferred them from the hospital to home. I didn't take them out right away. My wife threw out the magazine. Stuff happens, you deal with it.

yeah stuff happens, the women in the news story knows this, is it to much to ask for a little humanity this time if year, with out every one lording them selves over this situation?

Life can sometimes get in the way of logic, in this case backups/hard copies ot whatever they wanted to do.

Considering they have an assumed new born baby/very young on the run up to Xmas I don't blame them for not backing their stuff up.

Most people on this forum will backup immediately to prevent this sort of thing but your average Joe wouldn't. I hope they get them back.

Just because you have a baby doesn't mean you can't do backups. Not ev?ry single second needs to be spent on your baby. They do sleep yah know!!!

They also don't need your attention every single second.

yeah stuff happens, the women in the news story knows this, is it to much to ask for a little humanity this time if year, with out every one lording them selves over this situation?

Is it too much to ask that people look after their important possessions? Further, the couple opened themselves up to criticism when they went to the media with the story. The time of the year is irrelevant.

you know how to keep digital pictures safe? first off GET PHYSICAL COPIES OF THEM MADE! just because we are digital now, doesn't mean you shouldn't have photo printed on archival quality paper by a professional printer (not ink jet junk)... digital is just too easy to ruin or corrupt, at least prints you can give others copies that in a sense creates an off site backup for you...... second BACKUP YOUR DIGITAL PHOTOS on multiple medias... not just flash cards or hard drives

you know how to keep digital pictures safe? first off GET PHYSICAL COPIES OF THEM MADE! just because we are digital now, doesn't mean you shouldn't have photo printed on archival quality paper by a professional printer (not ink jet junk)... digital is just too easy to ruin or corrupt, at least prints you can give others copies that in a sense creates an off site backup for you...... second BACKUP YOUR DIGITAL PHOTOS on multiple medias... not just flash cards or hard drives

professional printers are inkjets to. 

for most people their home printer with 3 colors and black and a decent photo paper will give good enough quality that they wouldn't be able to see a difference anyway. on the ohter hand, ordering them from a pritner is cheaper anyway, and you avoid having to reprint the last picture(s) when the ink is running out and you get lines. 

Then again, some people also have cheap sublimation photo printers for their standard photo size prints, and that's gives good quality on every print anyway. 

of course if your house is burning down, physical copies burns just as fast as the digitals on your HDD. 

well on my phone which I take most my pics on..... I have it suto-synced to both onedrive and dropbox as well as a custom TFTP server

Just because you have a baby doesn't mean you can't do backups. Not ev?ry single second needs to be spent on your baby. They do sleep yah know!!!

Exactly! But average Joes may not think about backing everything up as soon as they can.

If something is that important to you, you protect it as soon as possible.

Some of you guys are quite harsh - acting like you've never misplaced something in your life.  I hope there's a good ending to this but if it hasn't turned up already...

I was also going to say that maybe they aren't as educated as most of us are. I can't begin to tell you how many students I taught in 5 years of IT college classes that thought that SD cards, hard drives, and other media can't break, get busted or wear out.

professional printers are inkjets to. 

for most people their home printer with 3 colors and black and a decent photo paper will give good enough quality that they wouldn't be able to see a difference anyway. on the ohter hand, ordering them from a pritner is cheaper anyway, and you avoid having to reprint the last picture(s) when the ink is running out and you get lines. 

Then again, some people also have cheap sublimation photo printers for their standard photo size prints, and that's gives good quality on every print anyway. 

of course if your house is burning down, physical copies burns just as fast as the digitals on your HDD. 

if your pro printer is using an ink jet system, get a better printer... they have digital laser systems that work like film developers and develop with way better quality... at least the company I send all my print jobs out to has one... they use standard developing techniques, but the image is "Drawn" on photographic paper using lasers then developed normally... most cheap store printing kiosks are of course dye sublimation printers...

Some people have this weird irrational attachment to photos like they don't have a memory anymore. Most of them because they feel the need to show everyone their baby/kid photos, but sorry everyone thinks every elses babies are ugly bags of wrinkly skin, you only think babies are cute because it's yours. 

There is one pic of my son, taken a few mins after his birth, that I'd be totally pee'd off to lose.  Mainly because I've never seen someone looking quite so bloody ###### off as he looks in that pic!

Talk about a face like a smacked rear... He looks livid!

Pfft, maybe for you. My son cries the moment he is put down, and refuses to sleep unless he is held, and even then for half an hour before he is screaming again. He had tongue tie and has reflux and is a 13 week old nightmare. Some babies leave you no time to do anything, including faffing around with memory card. I have made no backups of any of my photos or videos. There are more important things to get on with, like work and changing nappies. Don't be so judgemental. You've obviously never been in such a situation. If you've had kids and they were quiet little angels, lucky you. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Pfft, maybe for you. My son cries the moment he is put down, and refuses to sleep unless he is held, and even then for half an hour before he is screaming again. He had tongue tie and has reflux and is a 13 week old nightmare. Some babies leave you no time to do anything, including faffing around with memory card. I have made no backups of any of my photos or videos. There are more important things to get on with, like work and changing nappies. Don't be so judgemental. You've obviously never been in such a situation. If you've had kids and they were quiet little angels, lucky you. Not everyone is so fortunate.

I've had to tend to special needs babies and my gramma that needed her breathing and BP monitored and looked at every 40 minutes and lots of other crap at once constantly for years and I still made time for myself because if you do neglect yourself you are no help to others in a crappy state. So if you are not taking time for yourself even a little 10-15 minute break each day you are gonna end up being to weak to care for the baby. Part of such break is organizing stuff and reflecting and processing the day. It worked wonders for me and I didn't even blow up or nuke once. I took an hour break each day and showered, and ate and watched an anime episode or two to clear my head and it worked and I dealt with it very calmly.

I also had a LOT of family tension and we lived in a stressful area.

I blame Bungie. If Destiny was even half the game we were promised, he wouldn't have traded it in, and they'd still have their photos.

(joke...but I really am bitter about Destiny)

I blame Bungie. If Destiny was even half the game we were promised, he wouldn't have traded it in, and they'd still have their photos.

(joke...but I really am bitter about Destiny)

#truth

I was also going to say that maybe they aren't as educated as most of us are. I can't begin to tell you how many students I taught in 5 years of IT college classes that thought that SD cards, hard drives, and other media can't break, get busted or wear out.

Not to mention all the coworkers at one job who had their ONLY copy of vital work stored on floppy disk (this was years ago). I was constantly getting panicked requests to retrieve the information. Usually I could, but sometimes the files were just too messed up. The same thing started happening with flash drives once they became common. It took me years to teach them that just one copy of a file is a recipe for disaster.

Then I started trying to teach them to save their work to the server, where it would be backed up every night, rather than saving to their desktops . . . Never quite got them trained on that fully.