Looking for a graphics card (not too expensive)

I'm thinking of doing an eGPU setup for my T420. I haven't built and owned a desktop since 2009. I game very casually....some times I have this urge to game...

I found this guide, I like the idea and thinking of going with it: http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences.html

Now, what graphics card do you guys recommend?

interesting, thanks.

Just out curiosity, for a non-heavy gamer, is an eGPU setup a good idea or should I go to the console route?

Hard question in all honesty. It is like apples and oranges really.

Personally I do not consider myself a heavy gamer so I would only play a few demanding games. 

Like Star Citizen. Maybe a bit of DayZ which doesn't need too much power.

So a console for me .. which mind you has the power of a laptop (APU), is a bit unnecessary.

I haven't tried going down the eGPU road. From what I understand there is a maximum bandwidth you can achieve on certain devices.

Nvidia cards having the best compression in "dynamic/optimus" switching mode. Which gives you more FPS over AMD cards.

Your laptop looks like you could fit a port into it without too much hassle.

Personal laptop experience ATI 6850m / Intel HD 3000 tells me that you will be better off connecting an Nvidia eGPU from a technology point of view.

Did you find that chart by any chance indicating which laptops have been modded before and are confirmed working?

www.gpuboss.com Is an excellent site and easy to use. Makes quick work out of choosing a GPU. It gives cost as well.

Hard question in all honesty. It is like apples and oranges really.

Personally I do not consider myself a heavy gamer so I would only play a few demanding games. 

Like Star Citizen. Maybe a bit of DayZ which doesn't need too much power.

So a console for me .. which mind you has the power of a laptop (APU), is a bit unnecessary.

I haven't tried going down the eGPU road. From what I understand there is a maximum bandwidth you can achieve on certain devices.

Nvidia cards having the best compression in "dynamic/optimus" switching mode. Which gives you more FPS over AMD cards.

Your laptop looks like you could fit a port into it without too much hassle.

Personal laptop experience ATI 6850m / Intel HD 3000 tells me that you will be better off connecting an Nvidia eGPU from a technology point of view.

Did you find that chart by any chance indicating which laptops have been modded before and are confirmed working?

The T420 has been confirmed, there is a youtube video showing games work as well, however, they're old.

The T420 has been confirmed, there is a youtube video showing games work as well, however, they're old.

I just watched the youtube video. The amount of tinkering this requires could be a lot of fun.

Depending on if you want to get into this you might as well get a new laptop which has a dedicated eGPU port ;)

After doing some research, the setup will cost me around $500, however I could get a ps4 for $400-500 on Boxing Day. Now I don't know which is worth the money....

Think of it this way, 1st what is your budget for the video card?

Then look up ATi / Nvidia and see the cards in your price range, then choose the best one that gives the best price / performance ratio.

After considering a PS4 and this mod, I'm now looking into the pros and cons of building a desktop with a small case (not those massive gaming towers eek!). Since most of the time I'm on my desk, connect my laptop to monitor, keyboard and mouse. Thought I could build a small box instead of the $370 mod (above)?

Thoughts?

Interesting stuff.

But let me go back to my original concern: gfx card. I went to those comparison sites, but I they all seem nice to me. So many options.

I'm looking for a card + suitable PSU. For example: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024 It says it needs min 300 watts, so the Corsair might the one. But again, does the brand matter?