Sub-Woofer Replacement

First of all, my knowledge concerning audio devices is quite limited.

I have the Creative Gigaworks G500 sound system installed in a medium sized room (bedroom). I was quite happy with these, but unfortunately the sub stopped functioning and is in at an electronics shop to tell if it's worth fixing or not. The possibility is that it's not worth doing so, and now I'm looking for a replacement.

The system is of course connected to the computer, again to a Creative sound card. I use them for movies and more than that to listen to music. Music I listen varies from Classical to House music, and I am able to appreciate a good quality sound system over a cheaper one.

I want your opinion about how am I going to replace the sub with something better than what I had. I think it's non sense to find something inferior, but I'm not sure if getting a quality sub together with these speakers makes sense. In any case, I found a Jamo Sub300 for sale locally (for 230 EUR).

I look forward to your replies :) Thanks!

Buy a proper 5.1-7.1 receiver unit? You might be able to recycle your speakers depending on their quality / Ohm rating.

if you can't afford new, have a look at second-hand Yamaha/Sony/Onkyo.

• Like 2

Why is it that you could connect the speakers directly to the creative sub, but not to better subwoofers?

I presume these 'entry level' sub woofers have everything built-in rather than having a dedicated device? Pretty much like dedicated devices in a computer?

Buy a proper 5.1-7.1 receiver unit? You might be able to recycle your speakers depending on their quality / Ohm rating.

if you can't afford new, have a look at second-hand Yamaha/Sony/Onkyo.

I have a Sony reviver hooked up to my main desktop.  Granted it's only two channels, but two floor-standing speakers within arms reach is just awesome.  :D

I have a Sony reviver hooked up to my main desktop.  Granted it's only two channels, but two floor-standing speakers within arms reach is just awesome.  :D

On a Yamaha RX-V565 at the moment - caters for all my devices (PC, PS3, PS2, PS1, Xbox 360, Laptop, Bluetooth enabled devices e.g. Phone).

• Like 1

Can someone explain in simple terms what a receiver actually does? And also, why you can connect the speakers directly to some sub woofers and why you have to use a receiver for others?

:blush:

Can someone explain in simple terms what a receiver actually does? And also, why you can connect the speakers directly to some sub woofers and why you have to use a receiver for others?

:blush:

What you call a subwoofer is actually a small consumer receiver unit built into the subwoofer chassis. For PC and games console users, companies like Creative & Logitech market them with a set of speakers as a lower total cost or complete solution to get audio output from your device.

A receiver is a dedicated piece of equipment that you connect speakers to. You can (depending on the type) send it audio, video or both and it will output sound to the speakers and video to an output device (e.g. TV, monitor).

So my Yamaha receiver has a set of 5.1 Technics speakers connected to it at present. I plug in my source devices: PC (HDMI), Xbox 360 (HDMI), PS3 (HDMI), etc to the receiver. I then plug my monitor into the receivers output (HDMI). I can use the remote to select which device I want to use on the monitor and the sound comes out of the speakers.

If I wish, I can upgrade my speakers or subwoofer to compatible larger or smaller units without having to replace the receiver. If the speaker breaks, I can just replace that one that failed. My speakers and receiver use speaker terminals which allow me to cut what cable I need to what ever length I like - this eliminates breaking cable issues that can occur as I can replace just the speaker cable. Companies like Creative use a very thin cable (like headphone wire) that is quite fragile if handled roughly or you move them around a lot.

Previously with a non-HDMI receiver, I had just my audio connected to the receiver via SPDIF/TOSLink or RCA audio cables. Non-HDMI receivers can be found quite cheaply second-hand as people are preferring HDMI enabled models.

• Like 2

That's very very helpful.

Then it makes sense to get a better subwoofer and a dedicated receiver, while keeping the current creative speakers (that are using speaker terminals on one side and gold plugs on the other)? Then should there be the need to upgrade the speakers, I can do so whenever I want to.

• Like 1

That's very very helpful.

Then it makes sense to get a better subwoofer and a dedicated receiver, while keeping the current creative speakers (that are using speaker terminals on one side and gold plugs on the other)? Then should there be the need to upgrade the speakers, I can do so whenever I want to.

Yep, just make sure that your speakers will match the Ohm rating per channel of your receiver and that you don't overload them my setting the volume to something that separates plaster from drywall.

E.g.

My first receiver was rated 8 Ohms per channel, my Creative 7.1 speakers were rated 8 Ohms for the front pair and 4 Ohms for the rear satellites. I was able to recycle the front pair straight away but I had to daisy chain the rear speakers two per channel (4 Ohm + 4 Ohm = 8 Ohm). You can always find the Ohm rating either in the manual or printed on the actual loudspeaker component itself.

I still have the 2x2 Creative speakers connected to my receiver's second channel for a more subtle output if I'm listing to training videos and I don't want to hear the presenter take every breath.

Very informative.  Just checked about mine, and the 5 of them are rated 8 Ohms. 

Can you recommend a ideal receiver brand / series? Just so I'll be able to search and get an idea of the prices.

Very informative.  Just checked about mine, and the 5 of them are rated 8 Ohms. 

Can you recommend a ideal receiver brand / series? Just so I'll be able to search and get an idea of the prices.

Depends on your budget but I would certainly look at second-hand units to get started with as new units can cost some serious money.

Prefer HDMI enabled units offering TrueHD / DTS-HD for something circa 2009+.

I would look for Sony, Yamaha & Onkyo to get started with. Older Sony and Yamaha units can have some thermal issues (which are rectified by replacing thermal paste) which typically affect the non-HDMI enabled receivers.

Yep, just make sure that your speakers will match the Ohm rating per channel of your receiver and that you don't overload them my setting the volume to something that separates plaster from drywall.

I was able to recycle the front pair straight away but I had to daisy chain the rear speakers two per channel (4 Ohm + 4 Ohm = 8 Ohm). You can always find the Ohm rating either in the manual or printed on the actual loudspeaker component itself.

I thought that when you had two 8 ohm speakers on one channel it drops to 4 ohms.  So two 4 ohm speakers bridged to one channel is 2 ohms.  Like some high-end car amps that are "quarter ohm stable" are able to have many speakers bridged to one channel.  Or am I wrong?

I thought that when you had two 8 ohm speakers on one channel it drops to 4 ohms.  So two 4 ohm speakers bridged to one channel is 2 ohms.  Like some high-end car amps that are "quarter ohm stable" are able to have many speakers bridged to one channel.  Or am I wrong?

If connecting speakers in series: 4ohm + 4ohm = 8ohm

if connecting in parallel: 4ohm + 4ohm = 2ohm

Depends on your budget but I would certainly look at second-hand units to get started with as new units can cost some serious money.

Prefer HDMI enabled units offering TrueHD / DTS-HD for something circa 2009+.

I would look for Sony, Yamaha & Onkyo to get started with. Older Sony and Yamaha units can have some thermal issues (which are rectified by replacing thermal paste) which typically affect the non-HDMI enabled receivers.

Also Sherwood, Denon, Harman / Karmon, Marantz and Pioneer have some good receivers that aren't too pricey.