Need Advice on SSD vs HDD (External)

Hey guys,

I've found ways to boot Windows from external HDD. I was thinking of getting the samsung EVO 840 with SATA to USB 3.0 cable to boot the windows so that I can use on my mac whenever I need to use it for work. However I am not too sure if there is much difference between SSD and HDD when used externally over USB 3.0. May I ask for advice if I should get the SSD or just get HDD instead? (depending on the speed differences)

Your bottlekneck will always be the USB 3. Rather HDD or SDD, will be the same USB3 speed.

Booting Windows from external is a totally bad idea, The minute you put it into a new system, it will corrupt. Unless you are using some kind of crack.

Your bottlekneck will always be the USB 3. Rather HDD or SDD, will be the same USB3 speed.

Booting Windows from external is a totally bad idea, The minute you put it into a new system, it will corrupt. Unless you are using some kind of crack.

No, you would notice a difference in using SSD vs. HDD in a USB 3 enclosure (especially more so in a 2.5" HDD). I do agree on the last statement, this just sounds like a bad idea.

I recommend the Kingston DataTraveler Workspace. Its blazingly fast and far more compact than a regular ssd

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/kingston-datatraveler-workspace-32gb-windows-to-go-usb-3-flash-drive-review/

SandForce1.jpg

Its basically a SSD with a USB plug shoved on the end.

No, you would notice a difference in using SSD vs. HDD in a USB 3 enclosure (especially more so in a 2.5" HDD).

Agreed, you definitely notice the difference. I have a spare 256GB Samsung 840 Pro in an external USB3 enclosure, I get sequential reads/writes of around 325MB/s, can't remember the random read/write speeds but they're significantly faster than any HDD. It's limited a little by the USB3 interface, but nowhere near crippled to HDD speeds.