Installing a front USB 3.0 panel

I read an article yesterday & it talked a lot about cases & whether the case would allow you to do it. I thought this strange as i just assumed it'd be more to do with the MOBO than the case.

I have a LIanLi case (sorry it's 4 years old now so i don't know the model) which has 2 USB 2.0 ports on the top of it.

My MOBO is an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3. There are USB 3.0 ports at the rear.

There are some connections remaining on the mobo itself although i don't know what these are for.

Am i out of luck for installing a front panel or is this possible? I have 2 spare slots on the front so room for it isn't an issue. It's just whether i can do it.

At the moment i can get to the rear of the case no problem but when i move house next month & where the PC is going to go it's going to be a little awkward so i'd like to bring more ports, specifically 3.0, to the front if i can.

Your user's manual for your motherboard will tell you if and how you can install usb 3.

My formula z also allows for the installation of usb 3 to the front of the case, but in my case, I bought a case that has usb 3 already built into it

Best bet, I'd recommend buying a case with the ports already installed, they're not all that expensive, and to be honest, not that difficult to install a motherboard into.

If this is not an option, then google search shows many shopping results for usb 3 front panels that you could retrofit into a front drive bay, (assuming you have a free bay slot)

Check your board's manual for if there's a USB 3.0 header. You won't be able to use the existing USB 2.0 header / ports on your case in any combination to get USB 3.0.

You can see if you can replace the USB 2.0 header / ports for a USB 3.0 one but it will greatly depend on the mounting points within the case front panel and if they're separate from other case functions. It might be more trouble than it's worth though.

You can alternatively use a bay-based solution like the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker%C2%AE-Front-Panel-Connector-Adapter/dp/B006TOMSCO

You should be able to find solutions using either 3.5" or 5.25" bays.

If this is not an option, then google search shows many shopping results for usb 3 front panels that you could retrofit into a front drive bay, (assuming you have a free bay slot)

No, a new case is not an option just for some USB 3.0 slots. I don't want to move everything from this case in to a new one just for a couple new slots.

Also, Your end comment there - how much of my opening post did you actually read??

Check your board's manual for if there's a USB 3.0 header.

I guess the answer to that then is no. I just searched for the term "header" in the manual & it only returned 1 result

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/M4A88TD-V-EVO%2FUSB3/Manual/264276?search=header&x=105&y=27

Looks like i'm out of luck then :(

I guess the answer to that then is no. I just searched for the term "header" in the manual & it only returned 1 result

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/M4A88TD-V-EVO%2FUSB3/Manual/264276?search=header&x=105&y=27

Looks like i'm out of luck then :(

It does I'm afraid:

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/m4a88td-v-evo-usb3/board.jpg

A USB 3.0 header will look like the following and use a different pin header / plug:

63b.jpg

If this is the correct board: board.jpg

Then there is no USB 3 front panel header. 

Also, no need to be an ass. He was trying to help. You're the one asking questions that are easily researched, not him.

• Like 3

I think it has been established that you do not have a USB 3 header on the mobo.  You have 3 options:

1) Purchase an internal USB 3.0 card to slide into one of the PCIe slot and a front USB 3.0 panel for the case and connect the two  (approx 40 bucks)

2) Buy a USB 3.0 hub (approx 20 bucks)

3) Just run a USB 3.0 extension cable from the back and place it within easy reach (5 bucks)

No, a new case is not an option just for some USB 3.0 slots. I don't want to move everything from this case in to a new one just for a couple new slots.

Also, Your end comment there - how much of my opening post did you actually read??

Wow, I guess that'll teach me for trying to be helpful
  • Like 3

Diagram (sticker). Looks real...doesn't? :)

Very real. Looked a bit weird.

Also, no need to be an ass.

There was no "being an ass".

People complain when not enough information is given. I gave the information i could & it wasn't read.

I think it has been established that you do not have a USB 3 header on the mobo.  You have 3 options:

1) Purchase an internal USB 3.0 card to slide into one of the PCIe slot and a front USB 3.0 panel for the case and connect the two  (approx 40 bucks)

2) Buy a USB 3.0 hub (approx 20 bucks)

3) Just run a USB 3.0 extension cable from the back and place it within easy reach (5 bucks)

I'll look into that then. Thanks.

The Anker USpeed PCI-E (the second link) can be placed into the white slot.  PCI-E X1 can be plugged into PCI-E X16 slots (the white one)

Hi. Just wondering if you meant to post a different link in your 3rd link? As it's the same as the 2nd.

I may be out of luck here also. LoL.

I had a mini card right below that ASUS blue thing in the middle which gives me 2 extra SATA ports that i needed.

Under this is a bulky graphics card in the blue slot which i think also blocks off another slot.

Under this is a small blue slot - empty

Under that is the white slot with a sticky out bit of plastic on the end - empty

Under that is another small blue slot same as the one above the white slot - empty

From your 2nd link i'd need to use the slot where the card for the extra SATA ports currently is. I need these extra SATA ports more than i need USB 3.0 ports though unfortunately.

EDIT: Unless of course, that mini card could fit in to one of the bigger slots?

Yes, the mini PCI-E card will fit in a larger x8 or x16 slot and work just fine. 

Source

There was no "being an ass".

People complain when not enough information is given. I gave the information i could & it wasn't read.

Actually, yes it was, you failed to read and understand my post, I mentioned that 3.0 ports could be added to the front of your case, as long as the case has an unused bay, I saw you mentioned you said you have the space, I was airing on the side of caution. I was also thinking of suggesting a pci 3.0 board, but I didn't have time to look and see if such an expansion card would come with a header to connect up front ports.

You could have simply ignored my post, or asked a mod to remove it.

When I needed to add usb 3 to starting to age PC.. I got these anker products and have been very happy with them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SJGGAE/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

This was the card, added to to the back of the machine

But like you wanted some in the front - so got this that just plugged right into the card

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006TAEH7W/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_3

Seems a bit odd that your MB would support usb3, but not have a header to expand.. As long as you have slots free you can always go this route. Cheap enough and speed has been night and day over 2.. Never go back to 2 ;)

What's with the upward facing USB 3.0 ports?

these are not the usb3.0 ports you are looking for.

on the other hand they look as real as the supermarkets that are line the streets of NK.

I just noticed in the description of that front panel.

TWO FOOT of cable? Jesus!!! That's a helluva lotta cable. Damn.

What's with the upward facing USB 3.0 ports?

I just noticed what you're talking about now. lol. Yeah, just a sticker.

When I needed to add usb 3 to starting to age PC.. I got these anker products and have been very happy with them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SJGGAE/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

This was the card, added to to the back of the machine

But like you wanted some in the front - so got this that just plugged right into the card

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006TAEH7W/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_3

Seems a bit odd that your MB would support usb3, but not have a header to expand.. As long as you have slots free you can always go this route. Cheap enough and speed has been night and day over 2.. Never go back to 2 ;)

It's almost the same board design as previous models before it pre-USB 3.0. Guess ASUS decided to keep the reference trace designs intact for their cheaper boards around this product's design.

Great idea on the card, I was looking for a converter for the 20 pin to a regular Type A USB connector to connect to the back. This what I would do if I were in this situation, use some add-on cards.