Forgotten pin number to access iPhone. How to access?

I know there'll be the doubters on the forum but i'll carry on regardless...

Had to change my pin number on my iPhone 5 as i thought a family member knew it but in trying to make it too obscure i can't remember what i set it at. I keep trying combinations & i'm sure it's right but i guess not.

It's a contract phone with Vodafone & it's in my name so there's no issue in proving ownership if that helps.

I'd rather access it without formatting it though as it's been some time since i backed up (stupid i know) so i don't want to lose what's on there.

How can i access it? Thanks.

iOS pin or SIM pin ?

Given that hes attempted several times already id say its the iOS lock screen password that he has locked him self out of, as the sim pin has a 3-4 limit try and then you need a PUK code from the service provider to unlock the sim pin again.

OP As you have set the iOS pin you will need to boot the device into DFU mode and do a system recovery, this will totaly wipe your phone back to factory settings, you will be able to restore from a backup in itunes if you have previously done so.

Given that hes attempted several times already id say its the iOS lock screen password that he has locked him self out of, as the sim pin has a 3-4 limit try and then you need a PUK code from the service provider to unlock the sim pin again.

OP As you have set the iOS pin you will need to boot the device into DFU mode and do a system recovery, this will totaly wipe your phone back to factory settings, you will be able to restore from a backup in itunes if you have previously done so.

a lot of people don't realize the phone is suddenly asking for puk instead of pin :)

This from macworld.co.uk. Friend of mine used Elcomsoft's software to recover his work iphone that his daughter somehow managed to lock.

How to hack an iPad passcode: use forensics software

Every so often a technique pops up that somebody enables to bypass the Apple Passcode. This is sometimes a finger-tapping trick that enables the person to access something on the phone locked down. Typically either Contacts or Messages. This isn

Damn. Was hoping to do this without losing everything.

Thanks anyway. I would've thought that if you could prove ownership (like with a contract phone) then they could help you out but i guess not.

Thanks anyway. I would've thought that if you could prove ownership (like with a contract phone) then they could help you out but i guess not.

There's nothing Apple can do - there's no backdoor. It's a local lock that cannot be overridden.

You used to be able to unlock your phone by syncing with a computer you had previously synced with, but that was disabled as of iOS 6 I believe. I'd highly suggest just creating an iCloud account if you don't have one, and it will automatically take highly backups.

Personally, I don't see why you needed to change it in the first place.  Yes, a family member "might" have known it, but do you leave your phone lying around for people to pick up and use?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't see why you needed to change it in the first place.  Yes, a family member "might" have known it, but do you leave your phone lying around for people to pick up and use?

Yes, someone might know my bank card pin number, but I always have the card with me!

• 4 years later...
On 12/28/2014 at 4:28 PM, Technique said:

And how in the world would you think that when the FBI has to hire a Israel security company to break into phones???  You honestly think there is just magic backdoor and you prove its your phone and they unlock them??

This is yet another example of users shooting themselves in the foot, And all they had to do was remember a pin code  they put in twice... And have to put in every time they use the freaking phone ;)  How can you forget such a code?  Encryption and users = loss of data every single time ;) hehehehe

Where you not also the one that said their backups were corrupted?  Because you encrypted them, but don't trust zips because the passwords don't work..  Seems you just have a really really bad memory for passwords ;)

holy ######! ;)  This was in current - someone else must of replied to it..  Ooops! thanks for the catch - but point is still valid.. He was just as bad at passwords back in 2014 as he seems to be now 5 years later ;)

On 6/27/2019 at 5:10 AM, BudMan said:

someone else must of replied to it.. 

Yes they did .... 4 years ago back in 2015.

Alternatively you just went hunting through my posts looking for something to tick your boxes maybe??? ;)

2014, damn. I actually remember this. See the lesson for you here is to not take things at face value, even though i understand that you also really have to go on the info provided. I've never actually forgotten my password ever.

The truth on this actually was that my brother had bought a phone, was paying the monthly contract but for his girlfriend to use the phone. I believe she was probably late teens back then & he was early 20s.

The relationship was extremely abusive (from her to him) both mentally and physically. Easy for outsiders to snort that he's a man & men shouldn't allow themselves to be abused but anyway moving on from that kind of nonsense talk...

Eventually he found the courage to bail on the relationship which would've probably been about 2 days before i made this thread as i'm sure it was boxing day, or perhaps the day later.

He managed to get the phone although this is where my memory is hazy as i'm sure he didn't get it straight away but i could be wrong. She unleashed a volcano of abuse over losing it. Police involved, so on & so forth.

At the time he just wanted to know how he could basically have use of the phone again since he was paying the contract on it. He wasn't interested in the crap on it, he wanted to use it for himself.

Phone calls to Apple in America and proof of purchase and payments were needed but in the end Apple got him access to the phone.

I just couldn't be bothered going through all that at the time here because A) people are judgemental B) it sounds unbelievable to many - male being abused, so then people refuse to help as they think you're talking sh!t C) the story i gave sounded more believable but that aside - the same outcome was the aim.

Since creating the thread i've read reports of FBI, murder cases & passcodes so looking back i see how there was no chance. At the time i didn't know that.

So you'll have to save your forgotten password preaching for when/if i do forget a password. ;)