Fox host speculates metric system brought down AirAsia flight

The entire world uses the Metric system as their main measurement system, except Three Countries Liberia, Myanmar and the USA.

The Metric system is more accurate and easier to use than the standard system, even NASA uses Metric on space flights, you would think all airlines in the world including the USA would use Metric also.

That idiot on Fox is a "Former FAA" official, who has probably no clue about airlines outside of the USA.

I mostly agree with what you just said.  Also add that the US Military uses Metric.  Enough of the US government uses it, that I keep hoping there is a plan to slowly make the switch.

However, neither system is more or less accurate than the other.  Accuracy is not a function of a unit.  Accuracy has to do with how well something was measured and how many digits were used to record it.  A cm is smaller than an inch, so if you assume people will round to the nearest whole number, then cm allows for more precision.  That is not true for all units.  Temperature, for example, 24

• Like 1

Just a pity some folk seem to be unable to even used a dumbed down version of measurement these days and go in a shop when the tills go down............ooh er mathematics.......

I think you've read a little too far into what they said, however, I think they are trying to report on a story they have absolutely no info on.

In which case the host should have kept their mouths shut and not speculate on things they're no qualified in.

as awkward imperial measurement is, its still propagated using term like:

DPI (dot per Inch),

PPI,

Display Screen Size which are not commonly stated in metric,

etc...

so this 'imperal-ness' wont go away for any foreseeable future.

That would only be an issue if the Pilots fly in the US. Cause the rest of the world uses Metric by default.

Also the issue isn't that she raised it once, it's that she raised it, was told no, then continued to talk about it.

Wrong, aviation as a whole uses a mixture. Temp in celsius, altitude in feet, and speed in knots. There are exceptions to this, obviously.

In his defence, it's Fox, and that's standard practise :p

Like MSNBC trying to hock off the NAACP blast photos with the paris ones?

10906432_10155088465745084_8095755156246

Chris hayes of MSNBC says he admits photos were bogus. http://twitchy.com/2015/01/09/our-bad-chris-dead-body-hayes-fesses-up-to-bogus-naacpbombing-photo/

FOX not News is an entertainment channel.  They said so themselves.  They are not reporting news.  Why people think they do just shows how most Americans really are out to lunch without a clue.

It's NOT news.  Nothing from the Rupert Murdoch entertainment empire is.

Jump to 1:03:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ollmiHoIE:

Hahaha.. this is funny. we are all arguing about speculation (read the op title). they are speculating

Speculation-
the contemplation or consideration of some subject:
to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.

so calm down. msnbc is even worse. CCN is just as bad.

^ bingo, and they're more entertaining than MSNBC (too angry) and CNN (too dull) - which gets them the ratings.

Generally, if you want real US national political news with in depth coverage and interviews watch C-SPAN or read its website. If you want breaking news read the major news service feeds online, or the local (to the event) papers & local news websites.

C-SPAN is for the right wing... Go to their tweets and read the comments... It's all racists and haters.

Steven Emerson @ Fox News states Birmingham is completely Muslim and a no go for others..........
:huh: :argh: [comic sans because its so comical]

Nothing to do with this plane, but...

Seriously. Metric is the only way.   I worked in home renovation industry in Canada, and it is just terrible:   The stores have 50/50 mix of metric VS imperial.  

What stores are you shopping at?  As far as I know, building supplies are still done with the imperial system.  From my experience, its 100% imperial and if there is any metric labeling, that is just extra.  Lumber, drywall, fasteners, roofing, plumbing, Tools & consumables, etc...

Anyway, Fox News speculations; Amusing.

What stores are you shopping at?  As far as I know, building supplies are still done with the imperial system.  From my experience, its 100% imperial and if there is any metric labeling, that is just extra.  Lumber, drywall, fasteners, roofing, plumbing, Tools & consumables, etc...

tiles, flooring, some plumbing. but stores that get a lot of european stuff...      yeah, unfortunately its imperial mostly for the general use stuff, and it makes it complicated for me.

metric convertion in canada.  what a mess.       height is in feet, distance is in meters, weight in either pounds or kg... serious WTF!  all because of USA not willing to switch back in the day.