Changed segment while accessing remotely - ip on PC should update?

I have a server and main desktop that I access remotely. While trying to set up openvpn, I changed the default segment to 192.168.72.x. My main desktop is online already with a new ip but not sure if it's because I was making the router change while remoting into that pc.

My server doesn't have a new ip yet though and so I can't access. It should try to get a valid ip after a certain point right? I can always switch back to the previous segment but it should be automatic right?

Was/is it dhcp? If so then yes once its lease is at 50% it should try and renew and get a new one - what is the lease time on your leases? If you set it static on the box, then no it would never ask for a new IP.

Hey Budman. Yeah I switched to dhcp on both pcs before making the change

I checked the pc that is online and looks like the lease expires in 24 hours. Anyway to force it from the router? Like if I have the Mac address?

No not really.. Unless you can get someone to reboot it, it should not try and renew until it hits 50%.. Should of set the lease time to like 1 hour if wanting it to auto change to new segment ;)

You could setup secondary IP on your other machine that changed, and then say rdp to it from that box and do ipconfig /renew

Hah yeah I didn't think of the leasing issue.  In fact, I was pretty close to making the segment change without switching to DHCP lol.  Good thing I didn't

As for the secondary IP, wouldn't it also need proper gateway IP for me to connect to it?  I can wait out the lease release if necessary but curious what you're referring to

No it just needs an IP on the segment that other machine is still on, your not trying to get off that network.. Your using the other IP to connect to it with.

I actually ended up switching back the segment, changing the IP on the server manually, and then changing back the segment.  Now everything back online

The reason I went this way is because I stupidly used the second tab in the Network Adapter Configuration - the private IP address.   I didn't notice what I did till after I made the changes above.  I now know I should have added the IP through the button on the first tab.  Doh!

Another thing you can do to force a DHCP refresh, is restart the router/switch/gateway/... That usually resets the network connection and will make Windows ask for a new IP. But if you have a "dumb" switch in between you can't do that either.

Another thing you can do to force a DHCP refresh, is restart the router/switch/gateway/... That usually resets the network connection and will make Windows ask for a new IP. But if you have a "dumb" switch in between you can't do that either.

Yeah I had a switch between the server and router. And I was wondering before why main pc would get a new ip every time I made a change on my router but you just reminded me that I have connected directly into the router