the reality of technology (reflection)

useful *fundamental* knowledge. physics, chemistry, biology... hard sciences.

and yes. I know that 20nm is the die size.... but that's reaching it's limit. it's why we are starting to resort to multicores.

Well the main reason we went to multiple cores on CPUs was because of thermal issues.  Once CPU(s) started getting near 4.0 GHz it was obvious they couldnt effective go any further.

So the only way to get performance without cranking up the GHz was to have multiple cores. 

As far as the "fundamental" knowledge : physics - we know so little.  We have ideas about quantum physics, but have no idea why or how.  We have no idea why the universe is in the state it is, so we make up terms to describe something we dont understand - aka Dark Matter.  The most fundamental questions have yet to be answered.  Those questions will only lead to more questions.

I quote Dr Richard Feynman "  If you think you understand quantum theory...you clearly dont understand quantum theory"  Also, Einstein referred to quantum physics as "spooky"

Hell, we dont understand gravity !

I apologize, maybe I am nitpicking 1 small comment and blowing it into something -- it isnt my intention.

I always tell people who think they know stuff that "the true genius knows how stupid he really is" - paraphrasing Socrates, so I guess I am just throwing that at you  -- again, I apologize if it seems I am attacking 1 small aspect of your comment.... kinda tired and cranky ATM

Seta-san -  When I typed "...I always tell people who think they know stuff that "the true genius knows how stupid he really is" - paraphrasing Socrates..."  I wasnt implying you dont know what you are talking about --

It was a bad way to explain how we know so little -

Now that I have had some sleep - I re-read my above post and it sounds like erratic gibberish - I think I totally failed at making my point...if I had one. :pinch:

The one thing modern life and technology should have made very clear to you, and everyone else, is that there are no limits. In the short term there are finite limits to what can be done, but stretching that horizon out to infinity and you'll pull the possibilities close to infinity. Einstein was smart, but he wasn't a deity nor was he capable of seeing the entirety of time, space, and potential for human achievement. Limits he foresaw may prove to be nonsensical to a future time. Similar to how the concept of instantaneous global communication would have been to Sir Issac Newton.

Remember, the universe is a lot more complex and diverse than we'll ever fully grasp. Our limited understanding is hindered heavily by our ability to see that complexity and diversity entirely.

You just described a series hybrid like the Chevy Volt, and the "generator" (AKA range extender) can be a flex-fueled IC generator, fuel cell, gas turbine generator, or even a smaller but high density super-battery like a metal-air (a config which Tesla has patented and is ramping up to.)

And a Tesla Model S can go 300+ miles on a charge, depending on how you drive and the size of the battery purchased. LV to LA is 270 miles. Reno being 518 miles would need a SuperCharger stop, for now.

Also, Tesla has a patented charging system known as SuperCharger that is solar and grid powered (co-generation) and brings the vehicle to a 50% charge in about 20 minutes. They do not charge for SuperCharger use, and have made it open source. They're installing a national network of SuperChargers with many using the roof of gas stations for the solar panels.

They do charge for the SuperCharger. You have to purchase the more expensive larger battery unit or pay for it as an upgrade on the smaller battery. So isn't free, but the cost is harder to quantify. A lot like the "free" two day shipping that comes with Amazon prime. It really isn't free when you're paying a yearly fee for it. No matter how they word it.

Technology will get to the point we can be plugged in...If what we see, taste, feel, and smell is provided to us by a machine would we even know it?

Things like Oculus Rift are examples of technology heading that way.

So while we cannot make a phone that floats in mid air, in a virtual environment we have no limitations...

One thing is for sure:  In 10-20 years when we are able to have "usable" quantum computers... what is possible will balloon at an exponential rate.

So many things that are beyond our reach now, will become everyday commonplace with quantum computers.

Just think, it took the hard drive industry 30 years to get to a 1TB HDD, it took 18 months to get to 2TB.

So many things we talk about now, like a holodeck, maybe even teleportation will ONLY be possible with quantum computers.

As far as traveling @ light speed, that may be impossible - but getting close to it may not be -- and we may find it isnt even necessary.

Remember how our parents and grandparents even would talk about the computers that took up an entire floor of some building - my iPhone is more powerful than those computers.  And the rate of technological advancement will only increase.

We are already approaching the limits of silicon, but that roadblock only opened up much better options.

Hell in the 90's, whilst playing Jedi Knight:Dark Forces II, we would joke about "owning multiple video cards in our computers" We joked about owning a hard drive that would read/write like RAM and not lose it's data when you shut the power down. Heh heh.

As I am not in the know so to speak, what happened to hydrogen fuelled cars? I know about the Honda FCX Clarity, and from what I had seen, it looked like a promising alternative? Was the project scrapped?

(Genuinely asking as I don't know)

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/sfm/programs-services/Documents/Responder%20Safety/Alternative%20Fuels/FuelCellHydrogenFuelVehicleSafety.pdf

• Like 1

I'll be sure to read it when I have more time, And honestly, if there were filling stations available in the uk, I'd happily trial one, as the only way to improve tje safety would be further research into safety for these vehicles.

Tired, have an early start, time for bed...

To add to last night's post, wow, I didn't realise how many dangers there were to hydrogen powered vehicles, I'm sure a genius somewhere could work out a way to resolve some of those issues though, Lets face it, if some genius figured out a way of making a clean energy car run like a regular petroleum powered car, with none of the drawbacks, that guy/gal would be the next overnight billionaire... Especially if the vehicles integrates into the systems we already have in place (ie filling and service stations etc...)

To add to last night's post, wow, I didn't realise how many dangers there were to hydrogen powered vehicles, I'm sure a genius somewhere could work out a way to resolve some of those issues though, Lets face it, if some genius figured out a way of making a clean energy car run like a regular petroleum powered car, with none of the drawbacks, that guy/gal would be the next overnight billionaire... Especially if the vehicles integrates into the systems we already have in place (ie filling and service stations etc...)

I agree, getting to the moon and back safely in 1969 was a monumental feat. I think "we" could sort out the safety issues regarding hydrogen fueled vehicles. It sounds good though "It's only byproduct is H20" ........ *whispers* aaaaaaand death if you hit a bump heh heh. :)  :shifty:

I firmly believe that the reason behind the lack of electric cars making a bigger impact here in the US is because of big oil and our insane need to drive big SUVs.

I'd say it has more to do with the cost of the vehicles themselves. I'd love to own a hybrid, but couldn't afford one when I bought my current car. So I settled for the most efficient gasoline-powered car I could afford.

I'm likely not the only person who would go for the alternatives if there wasn't a premium price associated with them. I know when I was shopping for a car the electrics and hybrids were supposedly more expensive to make, justifying the higher cost. Is that still the case, or are the manufacturers just keeping the prices high because its been established that people will pay more for those vehicles?

I'd say it has more to do with the cost of the vehicles themselves. I'd love to own a hybrid, but couldn't afford one when I bought my current car. So I settled for the most efficient gasoline-powered car I could afford.

I'm likely not the only person who would go for the alternatives if there wasn't a premium price associated with them. I know when I was shopping for a car the electrics and hybrids were supposedly more expensive to make, justifying the higher cost. Is that still the case, or are the manufacturers just keeping the prices high because its been established that people will pay more for those vehicles?

Call me crazy but I firmly believe that the reason behind the high cost of hybrids and EV is because of big oil.  Where would ExxonMobil/Shell/BP/Chevron be if we truly embraced EV?  Didn't Exxon make like $40B last year?  It is in their best interest to make sure that EV fails or remains nothing more than a niche market.

Maybe, but even if true, we certainly have a VERY long way to go.

Technological advances are more or less like this:

GT3Fw5Ql.png

I don't believe that for a second.  If we had the will and determination then we can do anything.  Remember...JFK gave us a mandate to go to the moon within a decade.  At the time NASA didn't even exist.  Within 9 years we figured out how to do it.  Imagine what we could do if we only had that mandate now.

I don't believe that for a second.  If we had the will and determination then we can do anything.  Remember...JFK gave us a mandate to go to the moon within a decade.  At the time NASA didn't even exist.  Within 9 years we figured out how to do it.  Imagine what we could do if we only had that mandate now.

It's not a matter of believing. Men went to the moon, because the technology was already there. Determination helped it to happen sooner and in a very short time frame.

What if obama comes out and says "We must travel to the nearest galaxy, in the next 10 years."? We can't really do it, because we haven't discovered any practical way of intergalactic travel yet.

It's not a matter of believing. Men went to the moon, because the technology was already there. Determination helped it to happen sooner and in a very short time frame.

What if obama comes out and says "We must travel to the nearest galaxy, in the next 10 years."? We can't really do it, because we haven't discovered any practical way of intergalactic travel yet.

Understand that I have been a space nut and a fan of NASA for many many years.  And I feel that they are severely under budgeted.  We haven't figured out a way of intergalactic travel yet because no one has pushed us to do so.  Give NASA or private industry a mandate, a time frame. and money in which to do so and watch what happens.  Once the will and determination is there I firmly believe nothing is beyond our ability.

I also feel this way when it comes to some of the big diseases still plaguing us.  Sure there are the big pushes to help cure cancer, heart disease, and HIV/AIDS.  But no government (US included) or private industry has stepped up and given a mandate to rid us of these diseases.  If we truly wanted to do this, then there is nothing stopping us.

We haven't figured out a way of intergalactic travel yet because no one has pushed us to do so.

Again, moon landings happened, because the technology was available and it was only a matter of creating the right tools.

Intergalactic travel can't happen anytime soon, no matter how much money and resources are thrown at it, because we do not even fully understand how wormholes function, let alone use or create or even find one.

First, astrophysicists need to solve all that; and don't worry, they are a very determined bunch and are constantly working on it.

Oh hey, I watched the pilot of Knight Rider too :p

And dont forget fluid based computer systems [space 1999] they could become reality as for the restrictions on traveling at or above the speed of light I did see mention recently that this Newton law may be suspect too.

• Like 1

I would like to see more hydrogen powered cars on the road, it would be one of tue greatest safety features ever, Il(I had better drive carefully, I dont want to crash my, or run imto a hydrogen powered car, kinda like that 6 inch spike on the steering wheel psycology)

Not Hydrogen much too dangerous in quantity but an alternative is more efficient and easily chargeable battery packs with mention to the possible quick change swap out availability at "charging stations".

This said it may come to the point where the assumption by people of having individual modes of transport is just totally unviable and made cost prohibitive [i.e. charged per mile of use] so we end up going back a century to a time where the reliance was on some form of public transport to get around.

We probably don't have any materials that can withstand travel at the speed of light at the moment and we won't be able to test that out until we can make a solid travel at the speed of light, but that doesn't mean we can't create something that can. It likely won't happen in my lifetime or for several lifetimes to come but eventually we'll get there I believe. The hard part is going to be building a system that can detect upcoming traffic (meteors, planets, stars, etc) and avoiding them while travelling at the speed of light.

Some advancements over the last few years I'm using and expecting to improve. 

NFC chip in mobiles, before then it was the paywave/paypass on the credit card. I don't carry cash or a wallet around anymore and just use my phone for any transactions.

Smartphones in general actually, I don't  need to purchase a GPS to install in my car I can just use my phone. I can get on the internet and check my email or look up local restaurants or places to see. Or when a friend tells you to come to 'insert club/bar/restaurant name here" and you've never heard of the place before you can use google to get an address. (Or maybe even the gps app has it in there).

Instead of taking a bulky camera with me everywhere I have a camera and video recording device in my phone, I can now use video chat to talk and see friends and family while im travelling. I can now go onto shopbot or ebay while shopping and make sure I'm not getting ripped off purchasing an item at a specific retailer, etc.

I recently purchased a car that does 7lt/100km. It can do 1000km on a full tank. My previous car did about 18lt/100km so fuel-economy has improved heaps in recent years and now they also have the hybrids and full electric cars also which will hopefully improve further over the next few years where one charge can get me to around that same km range.

Solar power, I have them on my Logitech keyboard and its been working for about 3 years now without ever going flat. I have friends and neighbours that put up solar panels and have saved hundreds on electricity bills. Hopefully in a few years they are efficient enough that I wont even need to have a electricity company connection and am producing enough power to power everything in my house for free with solar power.

Google's self-drive cars; Now operating in some areas. I personally would love to jump in my car and just tell it where to go and it just takes me there and parks. It would also be good in Melbourne, Australia if it became a taxi service as taxi's are ridiculously overpriced and the worst drivers on the roads here.It would also be good in travel destinations where you dont know the local language or for people who don't travel much and are afraid of getting in a car with someone in a foreign country. It would also be good for some places that overcharge foreigners and also take you on a round trip around the city so you can buy products from their friends before they decide to drop you off at location you wanted to go..

Building of artificial microbes, printable solar panels, fold-able translucent electronics, hologram projectors,  air-to-ground LTE network and etc which are already developed and have working models or uses but aren't yet very common.

Lots of progress has been made and the rate of progress is increasing rapidly, I don't see a ceiling or limitations like OP.

Not necessarily at speeds greater than light it has been proposed that it may be possible to actually travel through objects so the problem then would only be where to stop in a  clear space and what would happen to any matter however small i.e. specks of dust etc in that space.Does the emergence from light speed to a stop evolve from a speck and expand to full form thus pushing outwards on any such objects and expelling them from that area...

As for Johhny Cab if you take in consideration Ubers recent problems it would have significant feedback from Taxi drivers in regard to job loses or the likes of Quade who would just trash the cab.

Some technological advances lead to more problems. Consider, for example, the use of oil for manufacturing and food production leading to a population boom, environmental damage, global warming, and economic crises.

Also, various energy sources have low returns. The world economy needs the opposite.