Needing Start Menu Replacement Suggestions for 8.1

Starting out I want to say that this isnt for me but for the users I will be supporting. I am doing this is kind of a temporary fix until Windows 10 comes out. While there are tons of replacements out there I am looking for something specific. I am needing something that fits 3 criteria. One is I need for this to be free for Enterprise useage. Two is I need for the installer to not install excessive non-needed junk during its install. Three I need it to have a silent install switch that can be used with a script or MDT 2013. Are there any start menu replacements that fit into all 3 of these categories?

Yea, Classic Shell does hit all three points. Free for commercial use, no crapware included, and there's an option for a silent install.

Is Classic Shell Free?

Yes, Classic Shell is free for both personal and commercial use*.

You are permitted to distribute the Classic Shell installer or offer it for download on your website, as long as:

You do it free of charge

You don't misrepresent the origin of the software

You don't modify the software in any way

Wrapping Classic Shell in a secondary installer or bundling with other software is not allowed

The Classic Shell name and logo are trademarks and cannot be used to identify other products or services.

* "Commercial use" means you can use it in a commercial environment - your office, school, etc. It does not mean you can sell the software.

If you are operating a computer shop it is permitted to install Classic Shell for your customers as long as you do it free of charge. If you do this on a large scale a donation is encouraged.

/qn - runs the installer in quiet mode

/x %MSI% /qb - uninstalls the product in basic UI level

/f %MSI% - repairs the product

/l* log.txt - runs the installer and logs the process in the log.txt file

APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\Programs\Classic Shell" - sets the installation folder

/qn ADDLOCAL=ClassicExplorer - installs only Classic Explorer in quiet mode

/qn ADDLOCAL=ClassicStartMenu - installs only Classic Start Menu in quiet mode

ADDLOCAL=ClassicStartMenu,ClassicIE - installs the Classic Start Menu and Classic IE. Note: there must be no space before ClassicIE

/qb START_MENU_FOLDER=0 - runs in basic mode and skips the creation of a start menu folder

NOSTART=1 - suppresses the automatic launch of the start menu after install

• Like 2

Start8 fulfills my needs, but I haven't compared it directly to others.

As long as it has the search box, All Programs, and shortcuts to control panel, devices, etc, it is functional to me.

Try StartIsBack:

http://youtu.be/D3PRlOGQJ3o

It's the closest thing to the Windows 7 Start Menu and has a large amount of skins to support it.

I can't use Windows 8 without StartIsBack, personally. It's the only one that brings the feel and more importantly, speed of the Windows 7 start menu to Windows 8, complete with the exact same search you had in 7.

I came across this thread a few months ago, when I was possibly looking to finally buy Windows 8, never got around to it, but it does give some ideas. From researching, I would've gone with StartIsBack.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1116777-a-list-of-start-menu-replacements-for-windows-8/

Get Classic Shell. It is the best. Here's a feature comparison: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2399

Unfortunately the feature comparison is inaccurate. As an example: "Number of items that can fit without having to scroll at any given resolution" shows start8 as having very few. If you go to configure in start8 you can actually specify whether or not to use large icons and how many icons to allocate space to. It also states that the start button cannot be used for start8, but any icon can be used. So, I'm not really sure I would use this to determine which software is best for you.

Classic Shell.  It is the best.   

http://www.classicshell.net/eula/

I second this +1. I use Classic Shell on my computers at work and home. Love it! We've been using it over a year and have zero complaints.

Hello,

Perhaps you will find the following message thread of use:  Does Windows 8 have the normal Start Menu? from the Microsoft (Windows) Discussion & Support section.  It lists several third-party Start Menu tools for Windows 8.

You just linked to a similar thing that I linked to earlier in this thread:

I came across this thread a few months ago, when I was possibly looking to finally buy Windows 8, never got around to it, but it does give some ideas. From researching, I would've gone with StartIsBack.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1116777-a-list-of-start-menu-replacements-for-windows-8/

Unfortunately the feature comparison is inaccurate. As an example: "Number of items that can fit without having to scroll at any given resolution" shows start8 as having very few. If you go to configure in start8 you can actually specify whether or not to use large icons and how many icons to allocate space to. It also states that the start button cannot be used for start8, but any icon can be used. So, I'm not really sure I would use this to determine which software is best for you.

You've misunderstood the comparison. "Number of items that can fit..." refers to the All Programs menu. Start8 only has a Windows 7 like compact tree-view for that so even if you view small icons, it'll fit less items than the cascading multi-column style because it can only use a single column.

As for the Start button, it refers to the built-in Windows Start button. AFAIK, Start8 can replace that with any custom button, but it can't use the built-in button as it is complete with the exact animation.

• Like 2

Hello,

Whoop!  Thanks for catching that.  I didn't see what the URL you posted expanded to when I originally wrote my reply.  In this case, please consider it my version of a "+1" for your response. :)

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

You just linked to a similar thing that I linked to earlier in this thread: