Windows Server Next Technical Preview Discussion

Lost amidst all the controversy over the Windows 10 Technical Preview is the stablemate to that same OS - the Windows Server Technical Preview (which will succeed Windows Server 2012R2, Hyper-V Server, and their server stablemates). Unlike Windows 8 and 8.1, Windows Server 2012R2 has gotten quite a warm reception in the enterprise - which naturally leads to a new issue (how large will takeup be, and can, or even SHOULD, it replace 2012R2 in the server you are running today). I'm putting this preview through the initial paces (just as I had 2012R2) with three sorts of evaluation: 1. As a small storage Hyper-V focused server. 2. As a development workstation. 3. As an upgrade/replacement for 2012R2 in either role. However, there's no reason I should be doing the posting alone - what are YOUR opinions of Server Next?

Here's my first post since I grabbed the bits of Server Next - and I ran into my first snag.  Unlike any previous version of Windows Server, Hyper-V in this version now requires EPT support (identical to Hyper-V in Windows 8 and later).  While this won't be a big deal going forward for new installs, if you don't have EPT support in your current server, you will lose it if you upgrade from either 2012 or 2012R2.  The reason why it's not as big a deal for new installs is because EPT is supported in more CPUs - especially Intel CPUs - the bar has dropped as low as at least PentiumG, and specifically the PentiumG3258.  For me, losing Hyper-V is a no-no (too many uses, and especially for development).

^ in a typical Enterprise environment where Server is most common, a case like that would simply mean buying new hardware. 

Most of the time if you require to update the Server OS, you're replacing the box completely. 

^ in a typical Enterprise environment where Server is most common, a case like that would simply mean buying new hardware. 

Most of the time if you require to update the Server OS, you're replacing the box completely. 

Not always - and especially not if you are running 2003R2 or later.

Windows Server 2015 will be the first Microsoft server OS to move the CPU needle since Windows Server 2008 (when non-x64 CPUs had their chop called), and even then it doesn't move very far.

The issue will be primarily in non-enterprise (such as SMB) server deployments - which increased several-fold with both Server 2012 AND Server 2012R2 (because the server OS itself is easier to administer and/or deploy).

Also, I specifically said that it would ONLY be an issue where Hyper-V is in use, but EPT is NOT supported (such as older Core 2-based servers) - if Hyper-V is not used in the server in question, it makes no difference.

Starting with 2003R2, in fact, you can upgrade the rest of the server hardware - except for the hard drives - without upgrading the OS.  (This is why the same applies to Vista and later on the desktop side of Windows Street - it's the same code.)

One reason for upgrading the server OS (but not its hardware) applies to any OS - additional features that are leveraged.  (That is why Server 2012 is used more in SMBs - especially compared to Server 2008R2, let alone Server 2008.)

Lastly, EPT support is becoming like predecessor VT-x/AMD-V - nearly ubiquitous.  On the Intel CPU side alone, EPT alone has become standard below the i-series; specifically with Pentium-G32xx.  (Such "baby servers" are, in fact, being deployed today - and mostly by SMBs; however, there are some deployments in branch offices of enterprises.  You will be able to deploy Server 2015 on those - as these CPUs support EPT.  I said this was an issue for *me* - as my test platform didn't support EPT.  The comment was aimed primarily at newer Server users - such as those SMBs.