Crosshair IV Formula + XFX 6970 no image

Hi!

I'd like to ask for some help.

I have bought a used 6970 to upgrade from a 5870 with a faulty fan and get no image or so. Sometimes I see the computer POST but when the real OS boot start the screems dims down.

My computer:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

AMD 1100T

Kingston 2 x 8 GB HyperX 2400 MHz DDR3.

Corsair HX850 805W PSU

Intel SSD 330.

Have checked alot of different things, including uninstalling the nVidia drivers for the old 260 GTX i have use meanwhile and checking cables etc. Updated the BIOS and so as well.

Not sure how to start the system in safe mode however. The Crosshair IV Formula is not supplied by ASUS with native Win 8/8.1 drivers for some reason.

Also, the motherboard usually seems to indicate either:

1. VGA led is on, indicating something is strange with the VGA unit.

2. Normal boot (all indicator light are off).

Anyone who knows what it could be?

Pure incompatibility issue?

/Regert

How are you connecting it? VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP? Did you test it with another monitor?

I don't think the card is the issue just yet.

How are you connecting it? VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP? Did you test it with another monitor?

I don't think the card is the issue just yet.

I have two identical EIZO S2431W that connect with DVI.

Oh, the card has also been in Crossfire before. Can that have to do something wth this?

No, it would just lose the crossfire effect. You have temps of the GPU?

I had a 6870 that would get so hot, around 120C, that it would fail to work. I sent it into XFX. Most of their hardware is lifetime warranty.

No, it would just lose the crossfire effect. You have temps of the GPU?

I had a 6870 that would get so hot, around 120C, that it would fail to work. I sent it into XFX. Most of their hardware is lifetime warranty.

OK. Oh, wow. That sounds a bit warm.

Just for the sake of it I tried with a VGA adapter and a VGA Cable to one of the monitors. I got the card to show the post, and then - as usual - the signal is lost.

I have also run it together with the 260 GTX . Since Win 8 supports that. 260 GTX in PCI-E slot 0, 6970 in slot 1.

The 6980 didn't show up in the device manager which is kind of bad.

Try loading up a Live-CD/USB Linux OS? As Ubuntu?

If it works in that, it's a driver issue. If that doesn't work, it's a hardware issue.

Try loading up a Live-CD/USB Linux OS? As Ubuntu?

If it works in that, it's a driver issue. If that doesn't work, it's a hardware issue.

Good idea. I'll try doing that as soon as I can.

I actually got it to work for a short while.

Put the 5870 back in, rinsed the registry and installad the Catalyst Omega drivers that are the same for both 5870 and 6970. Got Windows to work with the 5870 and then swapped it out for the 6970.  The computer starter after 1 extra restart and I got into windows but lost the signal after a while. The card runs wamr  not hot or overly hot, at least during the 3-4 minutes it worked. My old HD 2900 Pro ran hotter (it still works). So my guess is the 6970 gets for some reason overheated.

Perhaps a dust issue or so? Worth testing cleaning it with compressed air or so before getting in touch with XFX? Old card anyway.

Well.

A couple of tries later no sucess.

I seldomly can get it to show the POST/Bios.

1. Sometimes the fan spins up to max and then goes to a more calm rpm, but no POST or Bios. This happens mostly when starting from zero after a power shutdown.Doesn't happen during soft reboot or soft shutdown.

2. Usually the "VGA" led on the Motherboard lights up during POST.

3. Also tried another PCI-E slot, no difference.

The guy who sold the card graciously tested the card in his own rig - no problems it seems.

Which means it some sort of hardware error.

How would I know of if the card doesn't get enough power? It has a couple of LEDs at the 8+6 pin pci-e contacts.

That happens. On a cold boot, my system always does that. The fans speed up to max, then a few seconds later, the fansget quiet. I heard it's normal.

Have a different GFX card, that you can test out it is not the motherboard's fault? Another PSU perhaps? It can be many things. You just need to do trial and error.

That happens. On a cold boot, my system always does that. The fans speed up to max, then a few seconds later, the fansget quiet. I heard it's normal.

Have a different GFX card, that you can test out it is not the motherboard's fault? Another PSU perhaps? It can be many things. You just need to do trial and error.

I repaired my old 5870 so it runs, but this morning nothing wanted to start.

Seems like I get he CPU_Led to blink a couple of times, then it proceds to VGA and either hands there or both the VGA_LED and and BOOT_LED shine red. However when it starts the boot hands on the POST.

Strange. The 5870 cooling (aftermarket) is atached to the same electrical Cable as the boot SSD so it could be a problem there.

Well I hav a old 9600 GT Silent in a different computer that I can test with. It's both nVidia and passively cooled so it shoud be worht the test. If everything starts as usual with it then it's the GPU.

Oherwise it's something else.

I'll come back with the results.

In many cards that is a normal behaviour. The fans spin up to max to clear the dust, then after a few seconds they spin down again to a lower speed, after which they are regulated according to the temperature.

Not sure how to start the system in safe mode however. The Crosshair IV Formula is not supplied by ASUS with native Win 8/8.1 drivers for some reason.

When you turn on the PC, press F8 after the BIOS boot, checks are over. You then get a menu where you can choose to boot into Safe Mode, as well as some other options.

Strange. The 5870 cooling (aftermarket) is atached to the same electrical Cable as the boot SSD so it could be a problem there.

To be on the safe side, try putting it on a separate connection. I don't think it should make a difference, but one more thing to try and rule out as a root cause.

In many cards that is a normal behaviour. The fans spin up to max to clear the dust, then after a few seconds they spin down again to a lower speed, after which they are regulated according to the temperature.

When you turn on the PC, press F8 after the BIOS boot, checks are over. You then get a menu where you can choose to boot into Safe Mode, as well as some other options.

To be on the safe side, try putting it on a separate connection. I don't think it should make a difference, but one more thing to try and rule out as a root cause.

OK. Progress so far:

To answer the question: Corsair HX850 So it's supposedly a good PSU.

I've had a suspicion since long thet the computer workds better with the backside off. I have a Corsair 750D and the quiet a lot of cables going behind the mobo.

So when the computer started to NOT shutdown when I held the soft Powerbutton for 4 secs I started coupled with the red CPU_LED on the Q_LED lightning up I suspected that something was problematic with not ony the GPU but the main powerlines.

So.

1. Removed the 5870, also decoupled the 4-pin to molex for the Accelero cooler.

2. Removed just in case- old habit one of the RAM modules from Channel 2, bank 2. (Running the ram in channel 2 due to the Noctua D14 cooler otherwise being to Close fo the ram-modules. hard to fit it).

3. "Borrowed" a Zotax GT 210 (nVidia) from one of the my parents computers (I built it) and swapped it in.

4. Pulled out the "North" CPU powerline (4+4 pin) and routed it in "oldschool" in the main compartment instead of it going behind the motherboardtray. So now it just hangs there between the CPU-cooler and the rear chassi fan.

Cleared CMOS.

Started. Well the computer booted up. And stopped at the CMOS setup (F1/F2 choice).

Have not done more yet.

I guess that the CPU powercable has had a far to steep angle (coming in above the motherboard and then bending down and around to fit into the 4+4 CPU socket) so over the 1.5 year I've had the computer there might have gotten cracks inside the metal parts of the Cable.

So now what?

Swap in the 5870 again or try with the 6970 and see if it works?

Or is that a indicator of - time to buy a new PSU fo be on the safe side?

Cheers

Regert.

To answer the question: Corsair HX850 So it's supposedly a good PSU.

Any said "good PSU" can be bad. It's a common accurance.

If you moved the cable from the mobo and it now works with the borrows card, then try and put yours in again. If it works, then you know it was something with the cable.

Update.

Went to a good Computer hardware shop where and esked if they could check the PSU and GPU for faults. They did it quickly. Seems like both parts work. Bought a can of compressed air, distances and a new ESD-protection armband. I'll try and reassemble my rig and also look if any of the cpu pins are bent or so. Just in case. And tryo to boot Everything without the case. If it works then reinstall the motherboard with distances instead of relying on the corsair "bumps".

If you moved the cable from the mobo and it now works with the borrows card, then try and put yours in again. If it works, then you know it was something with the cable.

Update.

Well.

After dissassembling and reassenbling the computer, i think I found the problem. A single piece of hair lodged to the Southbride. Quite long as well.

Now everything works. I have also blown the computer with a can of compressed air, and the cables are routed somewhat differently. The northbrigde/cpu cable is now routed in the main compartment.

It seems to work now.

Thanks for all the help, Mindovermaster, T3X4S, and +Odom!

/Regert

Wow, in all my years of building and troubleshooting hardware I never had that issue. I'll remember to look for that, the next time a similar situation arises.

Thanks for the update :-)