Xbox One vs PS4: Who won 2014?

They are crap the opticals go out after 5 months, the thing overheats and shuts down, the thing locks up, hard drives fail, the worst hardware is in those things.

I told him he could have gotten a good gaming PC and a car for the money he's thrown away on those things!!!

Personally i would not play any multiplatform games on console. I got my 360 for halo and forza and that's it. Might get a PS4 soon when the price goes down for Journey and Last of Us (did not buy a PS3). I'm done with halo so wont probably get a one.

Vgchartz was never a reliable source. Wait till NPD and Sony\Microsoft\Nintendo release numbers.

NPD are just US numbers, not interested in limiting sales numbers just to one country (PS4 still outsells the X1 in US anyway).

If Sony, MS and Nintendo released sell-through data at the same time and did it regularly I would wait on their released numbers but MS just gives shipped data and Sony and Nintendo give a mix of shipped and sell-through data and none of them give regular updates so the only thing to go off is educated guesstimates from sites like vgchartz that update their numbers when they get real data.

The problem with VGchartz it's guesstimate have been proven to be way off.

Good read on Vgchartz.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18919

NPD are just US numbers, not interested in limiting sales numbers just to one country (PS4 still outsells the X1 in US anyway).

If Sony, MS and Nintendo released sell-through data at the same time and did it regularly I would wait on their released numbers but MS just gives shipped data and Sony and Nintendo give a mix of shipped and sell-through data and none of them give regular updates so the only thing to go off is educated guesstimates from sites like vgchartz that update their numbers when they get real data.

The problem with VGchartz it's guesstimate have been proven to be way off.

Good read on Vgchartz.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18919

I don't think you bothered to read that article because it basically says its similar to NPD (Who also estimate sales numbers based on sales samples) except its a free version of NPD and therefore not as accurate.So vgchartz adjusts its numbers slightly when NPD and other paid tracking services release their numbers. It also states that most estimates are fairly accurate except in cases such as the Iron Man game release on the PS2 which was predicted to sell fairly low but due to the blockbuster film gaining traction it boosted game sales. Yes its talks about PS2 games because the article is over 6 years old.

I don't think you bothered to read that article because it basically says its similar to NPD (Who also estimate sales numbers based on sales samples) except its a free version of NPD and therefore not as accurate.So vgchartz adjusts its numbers slightly when NPD and other paid tracking services release their numbers. It also states that most estimates are fairly accurate except in cases such as the Iron Man game release on the PS2 which was predicted to sell fairly low but due to the blockbuster film gaining traction it boosted game sales. Yes its talks about PS2 games because the article is over 6 years old.

Even Christian Svensson senor vp of capcom usa laughs at vgcharts numbers. Guessing than readjusting the numbers when npd releases theirs is not a good sign of a proven method of measuring sells.

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-vgchartz-isn-t-considered-reliable

I rather hear it from a reliable source and when ps4\wiiu\xbone hits a mile stone mark. I'm sure they will announce sold\ship numbers.

Even Christian Svensson senor vp of capcom usa laughs at vgcharts numbers. Guessing than readjusting the numbers when npd releases theirs is not a good sign of a proven method of measuring sells.

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-vgchartz-isn-t-considered-reliable

This article again is over 5 years old, not sure why you are stuck on trying to disprove vgchartz numbers when I never said their data is 100% accurate. Its a estimate based on various factors. NPD sales data is also an estimate. Its basically the best estimate your going to get on global sales. Again it seems you forgot to read the article you are posting as a source as its ancient and no where does it mention anything about Svensson. (Not like I would care what a vp of a failing company thoughts were on such matters anyway since publishers aren't fond of people releasing sales data to public especially when that sales data says their games aren't popular) 

This article again is over 5 years old, not sure why you are stuck on trying to disprove vgchartz numbers when I never said their data is 100% accurate. Its a estimate based on various factors. NPD sales data is also an estimate. Its basically the best estimate your going to get on global sales. Again it seems you forgot to read the article you are posting as a source as its ancient and no where does it mention anything about Svensson. (Not like I would care what a vp of a failing company thoughts were on such matters anyway since publishers aren't fond of people releasing sales data to public especially when that sales data says their games aren't popular) 

NPD tells you which retailer they track and don't track . They than use their algorithms\estimations on retailers they don't track. Vgchartz is a big guesstimate , they have not said what retailer they tracked or how they get their figures.

There's countless threads proving that vgchartz numbers where way off on many occasion. Vgchartz IMO is not a reliable source.

How old the article is doesn't have any bearing on if it's true or not. If you can find a more recent article that disproves the notion that VGChartz is unreliable then by all means. Otherwise stop dancing around his points and acting like they don't mean anything when they do.

The reality is VGChartz doesn't tell us how they get numbers, and they openly admit they are just guessing not to mention they retroactively correct their guesses based on other sources (which means they have no confidence in their own numbers). If NPD was just guessing like VG Chartz, then I doubt VG Chartz would change to match so willingly.

How old the article is doesn't have any bearing on if it's true or not. If you can find a more recent article that disproves the notion that VGChartz is unreliable then by all means. Otherwise stop dancing around his points and acting like they don't mean anything when they do.

The reality is VGChartz doesn't tell us how they get numbers, and they openly admit they are just guessing not to mention they retroactively correct their guesses based on other sources (which means they have no confidence in their own numbers). If NPD was just guessing like VG Chartz, then I doubt VG Chartz would change to match so willingly.

Your in irvine? I live right next to IHS.

They are crap the opticals go out after 5 months, the thing overheats and shuts down, the thing locks up, hard drives fail, the worst hardware is in those things.

I told him he could have gotten a good gaming PC and a car for the money he's thrown away on those things!!!

It's not just specific to Xbox. Playstation lasers fail a lot more. Sony have never managed to design or manufacture a laser that lasts, ever in the lifetime of PlayStation. From the old CD-ROM lasers of PS1 to the Blu-Ray ones in PS3/4, they are terrible, I replace more PS lasers than Xbox.

The early Xbox 360's were rubbish, but from the Elite onwards, especially the S, the hardware has come in leaps and bounds, especially the optical drives. The LiteOn and BenQ drives are superb. Anyhow, lasers are consumables, just like printer ink. They're ultra precise engineering, won't last forever, and they aren't intended to, just like camshaft bearings, you can't see them normally, but they're there and will wear out.

As for the lockups, the only ones I've encountered in the three consoles I've had have been down to game bugs. Hard drives also can and do fail any time, so blaming Xbox itself for all those faults you listed is unfair.

Not one of these "Who Won" videos again... :angry:  :argh:  (N)

Guess who won 2014?  You (us) won, by choosing the console(s) that we wanted, plugging it in an having fun...

I use to be a complete sucker for these click bait videos once upon a time...

Not one of these "Who Won" videos again... :angry:  :argh:  (N)

Guess who won 2014?  You (us) won, by choosing the console(s) that we wanted, plugging it in an having fun...

I use to be a complete sucker for these click bait videos once upon a time...

Boyah! This man knows where it is at.

Proper competition is the driving force behind everything. If one of these consoles was truly that much better than the other then that would be the only one selling and the competition would stifle, leading to years of cack.

You pick the one you like, and you use it, every one wins.

Also, as a gamer who also uses PC, if i hear the yawnsome "Master Race" leave the lips of any gamer, i feel embarrassed for them.

Actually the age of an article does matter, its like saying prove racism is a wide spread issue today and pulling articles out from the 1930's. Saying CD's is the newest and best technology for audio and pulling out articles from 1982. Things change over time and vgchartz place in estimating sales data has also changed.

The reality is Xbox fans dislike the use of such sales data miners because it shows the Xbox One is selling much less than the PS4. Unfortunately vgchartz has been under-tracking PS4 sales since launch and the numbers are actually more favorable to X1 than reality. 

NPD is a service company that gets paid by publishers and other companies to track sales data and they have access to some retailers sales data then they estimate the rest (like vgchartz). vgchartz is just a public website. If it wasn't clear enough from all my other posts; I never said vgchartz is 100% accurate.. Its an estimation until real data is released. But its the best estimation your going to get that's free and open to public on a global scale.

It's not just specific to Xbox. Playstation lasers fail a lot more. Sony have never managed to design or manufacture a laser that lasts, ever in the lifetime of PlayStation. From the old CD-ROM lasers of PS1 to the Blu-Ray ones in PS3/4, they are terrible, I replace more PS lasers than Xbox.

The early Xbox 360's were rubbish, but from the Elite onwards, especially the S, the hardware has come in leaps and bounds, especially the optical drives. The LiteOn and BenQ drives are superb. Anyhow, lasers are consumables, just like printer ink. They're ultra precise engineering, won't last forever, and they aren't intended to, just like camshaft bearings, you can't see them normally, but they're there and will wear out.

As for the lockups, the only ones I've encountered in the three consoles I've had have been down to game bugs. Hard drives also can and do fail any time, so blaming Xbox itself for all those faults you listed is unfair.

Xbox's RRoD cost MS over $1 billion in warranty repairs, Sony's YLoD cost them nowhere near as much which would suggest the Xbox issues were much more widespread.

Boyah! This man knows where it is at.

Proper competition is the driving force behind everything. If one of these consoles was truly that much better than the other then that would be the only one selling and the competition would stifle, leading to years of cack.

You pick the one you like, and you use it, every one wins.

Also, as a gamer who also uses PC, if i hear the yawnsome "Master Race" leave the lips of any gamer, i feel embarrassed for them.

The PS4 almost doubles the X1's sales numbers, that is a fairly large difference. It does kind of show that its much better than the other in most peoples eyes.

Who won in sales? or which console provided a better year?

Microsoft = More 1st party AA+ games, More continual updates and that add the features that people ask for.

Sony = Riding the coat tales of not even noticeably different multiplats graphics.