Xbox One vs PS4: Who won 2014?

PS4 won because of a last gen game The last of us and drive club....oh ya sells, they really didn't go into detail why ps4 was better besides ports of mutiplat games. but those game games are on pc too.

The funny thing is they showed more Wiiu games than ps4.

Who won in sales? or which console provided a better year?

Microsoft = More 1st party AA+ games, More continual updates and that add the features that people ask for.

Sony = Riding the coat tales of not even noticeably different multiplats graphics.

Xbox's RRoD cost MS over $1 billion in warranty repairs, Sony's YLoD cost them nowhere near as much which would suggest the Xbox issues were much more widespread.

Yeah, but at least Microsoft owned up and put the money towards fixing it. Sony just did an Apple trick and swept it under the carpet, revising the hardware to secretly hide the issues, which didn't work as the Slims and Super Slims still suffer from it.

Actually the age of an article does matter, its like saying prove racism is a wide spread issue today and pulling articles out from the 1930's. Saying CD's is the newest and best technology for audio and pulling out articles from 1982. Things change over time and vgchartz place in estimating sales data has also changed.

Um, no that's not the same thing. Sorry. It's not been 30 years since VG Chartz was declared unreliable. The most recent article I remember finding complaining about VG Chartz accuracy was in 2011/2013 so that's not so far in the past.

But what you're claiming is just because we don't talk about racism as much in the news it's magically not a problem anymore (if we use your example).

The reality is Xbox fans dislike the use of such sales data miners because it shows the Xbox One is selling much less than the PS4. Unfortunately vgchartz has been under-tracking PS4 sales since launch and the numbers are actually more favorable to X1 than reality. 

Um... so because VG Chartz is wrong the X1 fans should be okay with them being wrong? No, we are not okay with things being wrong whether or not they are good or bad for either side. We want the correct numbers. Is that difficult to believe?

NPD is a service company that gets paid by publishers and other companies to track sales data and they have access to some retailers sales data then they estimate the rest (like vgchartz). vgchartz is just a public website. If it wasn't clear enough from all my other posts; I never said vgchartz is 100% accurate.. Its an estimation until real data is released. But its the best estimation your going to get that's free and open to public on a global scale.

It's not the best, it's the only estimation for the gaming industry. That doesn't make it good. Nor does it make it reliable. "It's the best we got" isn't really true, cause NPD tends to release their numbers at regular intervals. So with a bit of patience we can get far more reliable numbers than VG Chartz. It seems to me what VG Chartz capitalizes on is not being free and open, but preying on the group of people who just want something, anything right now.

Honestly..

Who Cares and Does it REALLY matter and impact anyone's life that doesn't work for Sony or MS?

I really don't get it.. 

Up Next.. PC Gamers fighting over Steam vs Orgin.. Kidding.. Steam Wins. 

LOL@ VGChartz being used here. Everyone knows they are a joke and banned from most sites.

Xbox One easily won 2014, and looks to do the same for 2015.

LOL@ VGChartz being used here. Everyone knows they are a joke and banned from most sites.

The video did not make any reference to VGChartz, FYI, just forum members.

Oh you guys and your arguing over numbers. You just have to stoke the old fires? Last year was all about waves of support. Sony had the stronger first half of the year, followed by a strong second half for MS. Both are in a good spot going into this year thanks to last year.

Gamers won 2014. They saw two very competitive consoles push each other, resulting in consoles priced better with more features and fewer bugs than a year ago. You saw a steady stream of games to feed those consoles as well.

In the past, two similar consoles launching at the same time would be impossible, and we see two doing well enough to grow substantially over the year and beat the previous generation in the process. The ps4 hits 18m and we know the X1 is passed 10m. That's not bad at all.

The losers of 2014 are those that love the console war lol.

Oh you guys and your arguing over numbers. You just have to stoke the old fires? Last year was all about waves of support. Sony had the stronger first half of the year, followed by a strong second half for MS. Both are in a good spot going into this year thanks to last year.

Gamers won 2014. They saw two very competitive consoles push each other, resulting in consoles priced better with more features and fewer bugs than a year ago. You saw a steady stream of games to feed those consoles as well.

In the past, two similar consoles launching at the same time would be impossible, and we see two doing well enough to grow substantially over the year and beat the previous generation in the process. The ps4 hits 18m and we know the X1 is passed 10m. That's not bad at all.

Actually the Xbox One didn't pass 10 million, it shipped 10 million pre-holidays which means they stocked them in shelves at stores and warehouses. I don't remember seeing them sold out anywhere during the period which would suggest they still have some of those in stores and warehouses. Sony gave sold-through numbers so we know that 18.5 million have been sold to customers.

Globally PS4 sold more all year on a month to month basis, X1 had two months it sold better than the PS4 in the US when it had the release of halo and sunset overdrive plus large discounts on the console and one month in the UK for the same reasons. PS4 owns over 50% market share and X1 roughly has 28% and Wii U 22%.

Moving onto software:

Fifa 15 - 5.3 Million PS4 / 1.6 Million X1

COD: AW - 5.25 Million PS4 / 3..48 Million X1

GTAV - 4.73 Million PS4 / 1.81 Million X1

Destiny - 4.34 Million PS4 / 2.35 Million X1

Attach rate on both consoles is around 4.

PS4 vs Xbox One reviews by:

Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/ask-the-experts-xbox-one-or-ps4/2300-6416679/

PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419594,00.asp

TrustedReviews: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/xbox-one-vs-sony-ps4

TechRadar: http://www.techradar.com/au/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-vs-xbox-720-which-is-better-1127315

Spoiler: They all say PS4 is better.

It's not just the youtube video posted by OP that suggests the PS4 is better, nor the fact that sales are much higher on the PS4, major gaming and tech websites are saying the same thing.

It's all a matter of preference in the end, but you can't deny that the majority vote for the PS4.

My roommate (PlayStation guy) and me (Xbox dude) played the Xbox One exclusively this year (except for inFamous, which is only mediocre IMO)

In terms of games Xbox had the best selection of games for us. So I don't care how much they sold, Xbox won 2014 for me.

How?

The console war is one of the most entertaining show on the small screen on earth.

My roommate (PlayStation guy) and me (Xbox dude) played the Xbox One exclusively this year (except for inFamous, which is only mediocre IMO)

In terms of games Xbox had the best selection of games for us. So I don't care how much they sold, Xbox won 2014 for me.

Please enlighten me. Which games were so awesome on the xbox one that made you and your playstation friend play the xbox one exclusively this year save for the "crappy" infamous?

I mean really come on.

Multiplatform games are equal for the most part on both consoles maybe you and your roommate played them on the xbox one but they are perfectly playable on ps4. The controller is not really an advantage anymore since the Dual Shock 4 is a very good controller. I personally still prefer the xbox one controller sticks and triggers but i prefer the overrall feeling of the dual shock 4 in my hands. I would play multiplatform action games on the one because of the sticks but multiplatform rpg/adventure games on the ps4 because of the comfort. But in the end it's now just a matter of taste since the dual shock 4 is way better than the 3.

But back to what really matter exclusive titles. So your playstation roommate guy played the one exclusively for the whole year and did not touch his ps4 except for infamous? Really?

So let's see what came out on the xbox one this year.

Fantasia

Forza Horizon 2

Project Spark

Titanfall

Super Time Force

D4

Halo TMCC

Sunset Overdrive

Did i miss anything?  Cause that's a very weak exclusive lineup. Not as weak as the ps4 but certainly not strong enough to make anyone who own a ps4 and like it play the one exclusively.

Let's be honest for a sec. Both console had a very weak exclusive lineup this year. The one lineup was stronger but that would be like if the 25th team in the NHL would brag about beeing in front of the 29th team ... this year it was all about multiplatform titles and if your roommate did not play them on the ps4 then he is not really a playstation guy i'm sorry to say.

So far both consoles are a very big disappointment to me. I'm still undecided which one i'll buy to replace my xbox 360. I just decided last fall to spend my money on a 970 instead for 2014. My friend bought the one and so far it's nothing to write home about. Honestly the only games i want to play on the ps4 are ports of the ps3 (Last of Us and Journey). As for the one Sunset Overdrive is cool but other than that i don't see much. Killer Instinct lacked content the last time i played it. Titanfall for me failed to deliver. I got it on PC and did not touch it after the 1st week. On PC Titanfall is an extremely average game there's so many better games avalaible it's not funny. Dead Rising 3 was nice but that's all. Certainly not better than Infamous (i did not play infamous but i don't see how it can be worse than DR3). I'm done with Halo and don't care about buggy remakes of old games i already played to death. Forza 5 is nice but i already own Forza 4 and outside of the gfx upgrade i don't see what Forza 5 has to offer.

Anyway maybe you and your roomate prefer the one. That's fine. Absolutely no problem with that. But don't call him a playstation guy if he did not touch his playstation 4 this year.

I'm looking forward to next e3. I expect to be wowed. I really do. Right now i'm starting to question the point of owning a console. All my games on steam support my 360 controller and with big picture it's now easier than ever to control my pc from my couch in front of my HDTV to play multiplatform games on it with better gfx than the one and ps4. Back in the days there was always a bunch of exclusive console titles i really wanted to play but so far this gen nothing. Anyway i'll wait until next fall and if nothing worthwhile is released i'll spend my money on a mb/cpu upgrade instead.

PS4 versus One. So far it's a race between 2 losers so it doesn't really matter who is in front.

Everyone is a loser until Bloodborne comes out.  :yes:  :rofl:

Maybe. It's certainly a game i'm looking forward to since i liked Dark Souls. But it will take more than one game to make me spend 400$.

That demo for the next silent hill was awesome though. If it's not released on PC i might have to buy a console. So far that demo is the thing that impressed me the more.

Maybe. It's certainly a game i'm looking forward to since i liked Dark Souls. But it will take more than one game to make me spend 400$.

That demo for the next silent hill was awesome though. If it's not released on PC i might have to buy a console. So far that demo is the thing that impressed me the more.

MAYBE?!

You lie.  :o

Give your money away, it's coming in 2 months. You will either be a winner when it comes out, or a loser.

/sarcasm

edit: Maybe I'm the real loser, collectors edition with a quill... yes a quill, pre-ordered. What the ###### am I going to do with a quill?

edit: Maybe I'm the real loser, collectors edition with a quill... yes a quill, pre-ordered. What the ###### am I going to do with a quill?

lol, bring it into work and use it and act all baws while you do it.

• Like 2

lol, bring it into work and use it and act all baws while you do it.

Not a bad idea. I'll be lucky if I can find one or two people who actually know what Bloodborne is though  :laugh:

I have both and I almost never power up my PS4. I don't think it has any exclusive titles that I consider must have's. I really like the PS4 UI and it runs games great but I like the fact that the One is a media device that does all entertainment. Watching TV and quickly switching to a game is a breeze. Are there any PS4 exclusives coming out that are going to be must have's?

I have both and I almost never power up my PS4. I don't think it has any exclusive titles that I consider must have's. I really like the PS4 UI and it runs games great but I like the fact that the One is a media device that does all entertainment. Watching TV and quickly switching to a game is a breeze. Are there any PS4 exclusives coming out that are going to be must have's?

Personally I don't think it needs ANY exclusives if it runs 99% of cross platform titles better.  The vast majority of big games are cross platform so I'd rather run them better then have a few exclusive games.  That said though yes there are big PS4 exclusives coming out.  Sony even did a video on it:

I'd say the most "must have" ones based on hype are Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

• Like 2

Please enlighten me. Which games were so awesome on the xbox one that made you and your playstation friend play the xbox one exclusively this year save for the "crappy" infamous?

I mean really come on.

Multiplatform games are equal for the most part on both consoles maybe you and your roommate played them on the xbox one but they are perfectly playable on ps4. The controller is not really an advantage anymore since the Dual Shock 4 is a very good controller. I personally still prefer the xbox one controller sticks and triggers but i prefer the overrall feeling of the dual shock 4 in my hands. I would play multiplatform action games on the one because of the sticks but multiplatform rpg/adventure games on the ps4 because of the comfort. But in the end it's now just a matter of taste since the dual shock 4 is way better than the 3.

But back to what really matter exclusive titles. So your playstation roommate guy played the one exclusively for the whole year and did not touch his ps4 except for infamous? Really?

So let's see what came out on the xbox one this year.

Fantasia

Forza Horizon 2

Project Spark

Titanfall

Super Time Force

D4

Halo TMCC

Sunset Overdrive

Did i miss anything?  Cause that's a very weak exclusive lineup. Not as weak as the ps4 but certainly not strong enough to make anyone who own a ps4 and like it play the one exclusively.

Let's be honest for a sec. Both console had a very weak exclusive lineup this year. The one lineup was stronger but that would be like if the 25th team in the NHL would brag about beeing in front of the 29th team ... this year it was all about multiplatform titles and if your roommate did not play them on the ps4 then he is not really a playstation guy i'm sorry to say.

So far both consoles are a very big disappointment to me. I'm still undecided which one i'll buy to replace my xbox 360. I just decided last fall to spend my money on a 970 instead for 2014. My friend bought the one and so far it's nothing to write home about. Honestly the only games i want to play on the ps4 are ports of the ps3 (Last of Us and Journey). As for the one Sunset Overdrive is cool but other than that i don't see much. Killer Instinct lacked content the last time i played it. Titanfall for me failed to deliver. I got it on PC and did not touch it after the 1st week. On PC Titanfall is an extremely average game there's so many better games avalaible it's not funny. Dead Rising 3 was nice but that's all. Certainly not better than Infamous (i did not play infamous but i don't see how it can be worse than DR3). I'm done with Halo and don't care about buggy remakes of old games i already played to death. Forza 5 is nice but i already own Forza 4 and outside of the gfx upgrade i don't see what Forza 5 has to offer.

Anyway maybe you and your roomate prefer the one. That's fine. Absolutely no problem with that. But don't call him a playstation guy if he did not touch his playstation 4 this year.

I'm looking forward to next e3. I expect to be wowed. I really do. Right now i'm starting to question the point of owning a console. All my games on steam support my 360 controller and with big picture it's now easier than ever to control my pc from my couch in front of my HDTV to play multiplatform games on it with better gfx than the one and ps4. Back in the days there was always a bunch of exclusive console titles i really wanted to play but so far this gen nothing. Anyway i'll wait until next fall and if nothing worthwhile is released i'll spend my money on a mb/cpu upgrade instead.

PS4 versus One. So far it's a race between 2 losers so it doesn't really matter who is in front.

I understand the points you made. He never had an Xbox, is very much a fan of Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, TLoU etc... (he did play a lot of PS3, but not PS4)

This year, most of the games that were released that appealed to us were multi platform so we played these together on Xbox (I have 2 Xbox One's, small disclaimer).

Aside inFamous, Sony didn't really have anything exclusive that wow'ed us.

Keep in mind that this is subjective; maybe you liked the PS games. But this is just a topic were we discuss which console won *in our opinion*.

Both are still pretty weak in their lineup; no disagreement there. But it's still early in this generation.

Again, he didn't have a lot of incentive for touching his PS4 this year. He did play a lot of PS3 games though.