• Macrium Reflect
    • Norton Ghost
    • Nova Backup
    • Symantec
    • Syncback
    • Windows Backup
    • Other (Please specify below)

Question

Welcome to the Best Backup Software 2015 official thread. Use this as a reference for researching back-up software.

The previous years thread can be found here - Best Backup Software 2014

If your choice of Paid Antivirus is not listed, please choose Other and specify in the comments.

My vote goes to Acronis.

23 answers to this question

Macrium Reflect for personal system imaging.

File History & One Drive for personal data backup.

Microsoft Data Protection Manager in the enterprise.

Why no Windows File History as an option?

Just my opinion anyway - it's a handy way to back up personal files and such, but it's not a "proper" backup solution, that is if my hard drive suddenly gets suicidal and jumps out of the PC in front of a bus and needs replacing, I wouldn't be able to recover the operating system from it. I'd use it in conjunction with a full backup image, sure, multiple means of a backup is good but not as the only backup.. unless you don't mind reinstalling everything again. Not me, Windows gets installed once and done.. the next time I do a full install is on a new system or a major update, never again otherwise. Gotta have that image backup that recovers everything.

Other voter here; my vote goes to Create Synchronicity. It's free, fast and very lightweight. I use it to mirror backup (if I modify or delete something in the source folder, the backup gets updated when the sync's run) my music, videos, pictures and documents, but you can also do incremental (new and modified files are copied left-to-right, nothing gets deleted), two-way incremental (same as incremental, but works both ways), and strict mirror backups (reverts files modified on the right).

Hello,

I voted for 2BrightSparks' SyncBack, but also like RoboCopy (filename: ROBOCOPY.EXE) command in Windows, as well as NovaStor's NovaBack for its tape drive support.  Different tools for different kinds of backup jobs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

For personal, I would say TimeMachine does a pretty good job. For servers, it would have to be Veeam but it only works on Virtual servers (Hyper-V and ESXi).

• Like 2

Only one's I've ever used have been Acronis and Easeus and I'd have to choose Acronis between the two.

Don't usually even bother with backups as I have nothing on any of my 7 Windows computers worth saving. If a hard drive was to die or something similar, I'd just get a new hard drive and reinstall Windows all fresh.

So if looking to backup to cloud services check out cloudberry desktop backup - support for all of them including Amazon glacier which is cheapest option at .01 per gig this where I backup all my home video for dr

Macrium Reflect free for home and Macrium Reflect Server for work.

I use Veeam and Backup Exec.

OMG - A company I used to work for used those.

When I started it was Backup Exec 2010, trying to retreive data from 10 year old, improperly written, tapes.
Then I switched to Backup Exec 2012 for current backup jobs - it was all OK.
I hated the tape machine, hated the old tapes
When we moved from P2V servers, we implemented Veeam - and everything became much more hands off.
No longer used tape, and things started getting a little better - then I quit :D

Bvckup 2

This is the most user friendly backup software I have ever encountered. UI is fantastic. Did I mentioned that is only ~ 2 mb in size?

screenshot-2.png

Edited by Yogurth