• Panda Anti Virus/Internet Security
    • Sophos Endpoint
    • Symantec/PC Tools/Norton
    • Trend Micro Anti Virus/Internet Security
    • Vipre Anti Virus
    • Webroot
    • Other (please specify below)

Question

It's a new year, and a new poll for Definitive Best Antivirus. The 2014 thread can be found here.

This is a poll for best Paid antivirus, there is a separate thread for free antiviruses here.

If your choice of Paid Antivirus is not listed, please choose Other and specify in the comments.

Other. When I use Windows, Sandboxie is my defense against malware. I bought it when they still offered lifetime keys. Application isolation has proven much more effective to me than trying to stay current with definition files.

Another one for a sandbox in conjunction with safe computing habits. Along with regular backups of course. No AV is 100% guaranteed to catch everything, never mind the performance drag and false positives, plus too many people use it as a crutch and assuming it's ok to be stupid with what they're doing. If you're frequently having issues, you're definitely doing it wrong.

ESET, I love that they take the threat of bloatware seriously saving me time cleaning useless toolbars and extensions. The remote administration is awesome too but takes some getting used to.

I've used the free Avast for a while now but needed a change. So I've been using Norton Antivirus for the last 3 months and it's pretty good. Doesn't nag as much as Avast or have as many false positives. Also it makes it easy to whitelist files I trust.

We've been deploying AVG CloudCare to clients for about a year. Only had one person with it installed successfully get reinfected, which is a much better ratio than we've seen with anything else we've tried.

I figure no AV protects against 100% of everything so why pay for it.

Don't you do tech support? What do you tell your customers?

Don't you do tech support? What do you tell your customers?

Pretty much what I wrote above.  I usually give them Avast.

over the years i've seen people infected while running

webroot

Eset

Kaspersky

Avast

AVG

MSE

Norton

Mcafee

Trend

Secure it

Frontier Security (F-secure)

So why pay for an AV just go free.

I mean just upload an newly infected file to virus total. One file Avast will detect it and Norton won't and then the next file Norton Will detect it and Avast won't (example).

Sometimes only 5 of the 52 AV companies will detect an infected file. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Kaspersky Internet Security has been my choice for several years. I buy licenses for my family and also have a pool of friends who use it as well. The UI is great and most of all, there are very little false positives and the performance doesn't take a big hit.

I voted for Antivirus but Internet Security should be added to that item.

360 Total Secutiry is really awesome and my opinion is the best free alternative out there. The option to use Bitdefender and Avira engines is an added bonus. The only downside to it is that it has a module to disable services and startup entries that can cause more harm than good in the hands of less tech savvy people. It also shows many false positives.

Eset Nod32 was once a top notch product, unfortunately it has been leaking for some time now and I have several customers that hadregularly updated their boxes and definitions caught some nasty stuff, and the replacement that I use "MalwareBytes Antimalware" proved to be  impenetrable for now.

ESET is the one. I am a virus writter and they released a definition for my last creation within days of its release. And it was not a binary release so they had to compile it and test it etc, they were really fast. Oh, its a Linux virus to make it better. More info about it: www.virusradar.com/en/Linux_Zariche/detail

Using Kaspersky, although I don't 'pay' for it. I get it free from my bank for doing online banking. They've given a new license every year since 2007 or something, although it wasn't always Kaspersky

That's a pretty great bank, damn! Ours here give us a broken java crappy plugin that usually does not work at all and installs 142245 background services that runs every time

Norton for me. Just install it and let it do its thing. It's so light on resources you don't even realise that it's running which is good.

I'm using Avast Premiere and I'm happy with it, but Avast the company has disappointed me a fair number of times. I suppose it works really well and I still deploy the free version on PCs I repair, but I'm looking at other solutions.