• ClamWin/ClamAV
    • Comodo Anti Virus/Internet Security
    • Emsisoft Anti-Malware (free edition)
    • Panda Cloud Antivirus
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other (please specify below)
    • Malwarebytes (Free Edition)

Question

It's a new year, and a new poll for Definitive Free Best Antivirus. The 2014 thread can be found here.

This is a poll for best Free antivirus, there is a separate thread for paid antiviruses here.

If your choice of Best Free Antivirus is not listed, please choose Other and specify in the comments.

No Malwarebytes option?

Never heard of 360 Total Security. Is it new?

not THAT new but it's definitely been making a name for itself lately

I don't much care for the Total Security but the 360 Internet Security that's just the anti-virus works great for me

MSE/Windows Defender has been great for me. I have not gotten a single malware for the past few years.

No Malwarebytes option?

Never heard of 360 Total Security. Is it new?

It is not free. You can find the pro version in this pool

I still use Avast! because I actually bought it, but really, the company is really kinda iffy, especially on the non-AV product lines, so I don't usually recommend it.

I personally don't have an "Proper AV" installed on my PC

Every once in a while I'll do the follow:

SuperAntiSpyware (Complete Scan)

CCleaner (look things over)

MalwareBytes (Also Complete Scan

ADW Clearner... (About every 90days or so)

Once scans are complete I take them off (don't like a lot of stuff on my pc...

But it has a free version. 

None. Disable all plugins but flash (and keep it updated), set click to play feature on the browser on and check unsigned executables on virustotal. Malware writers keep the infectious drive-by payloads always updated to avoid detection so it's extremely rare that an antivirus detects them, I've seen some payloads being barely detected months later and just by a fraction of the AVs. Antiviruses are slowly becoming the next "registry cleaners".

360 internet security is a nice program but keep in mind it is made in China and its a communist country so yea you are running government Chinese software on your computer :)

No Norton Anti Virus on the vote chart?  I remember when that program was the top dog at the time.

I'd move off of MSE post haste.

I was previously an enormous supporter, but it's just not sufficiently reliable anymore.

Avira, Avast or 360 total are all light weight reliable replacements and should be considered most strongly in place of MSE.

Does somebody remember which free ones have an Office plug-in (so that the AV realtime scan can be left off yet downloaded files/attachments and Office files are still scanned)? I wish Microsoft bothered keeping the two options separated but apparently turning off the realtime scan turns off everything.

not THAT new but it's definitely been making a name for itself lately

I don't much care for the Total Security but the 360 Internet Security that's just the anti-virus works great for me

Same here. 360 Internet Security for about 7 months now. Working well.

The one you never install.

Malwarebytes Free isn't AV, so it shouldn't be listed.  As a removal tool, still of value.  Many of the other 'free' ones should have a large asterisk after them.