What's your favorite feature of Windows?

Just wanted to know.

Mine is that the volume you've set on other programs scales with the volume.

Happy new year!

Just wanted to know.

Mine is that the volume you've set on other programs scales with the volume.

Happy new year!

My favorite feature is something Windows has always had (and apparently a LOT of folks take for granted) - the expansive hardware support.

THE reason why there are all those Windows licenses out there is because Windows has historically supported more combinations of hardware than any other OS on the planet - this is both desktop AND server flavors alike.  From Rolls-Royce expensive to Yugo-cheap - Windows of some sort runs on darn near all of it.  From OEM to white-box to garage-builds - Windows has practically supported most, if not all.  If you combine Macs and the "hack" community (most of which comes from the Linux/FOSS community, OS X is starting to catch up - however, what are we hearing from the hard-core Apple-only community (which actually does benefit from what the "hack" community has done, both indirectly AND directly)?  Not crickets, but actually WORSE than crickets - ignorance of the capabilities in the Apple hardware base.  If Microsoft displayed even a TENTH of that attitude, they would have been reamed, then discarded like a used paper towel - yet Apple is forgiven for it.  (Microsoft gets chewed out on a daily basis for actually daring to support MORE hardware with each new OS release - despite not neglecting the base hardware in the least; there is, after all, a reason WHY I'm actually able to run the most recent beta of desktop Windows on nearly ten year old - Vista-era - hardware.)

• Like 2

For me it's the "it just works" factor. For example, my current desktop is still running 7. Installed it once when it hit RTM, hasn't choked yet. No blue screens, no fiddling, no wrestling to get stuff going, none of that Win-rot nonsense, no "wish they made a driver for this", no registry disasters, pretty much any program I can think of is available, random stuff from over 15 years ago still runs and yes it is customizable. Come a long way since the messy XP days. This install is ~5 years old, and it works as good as it did on day one.. it was fun messing around when I was a kid and had time to spare, nowadays not so much. User dumbassery excluded of course, but *shrug* a clueless person can wreck any desktop OS, I've had to fix them all in one form or another.

A bunch of features in 8 I like, but with 10 so close, I'll wait. Digging HyperV on my Server 2012R2 boxes, so can't wait for that on the 10 desktop too.

The other thing that I like is the sane dual monitor functionality; it's not perfect as in flexibility (well, there's an addon for that), but if I park a program on the second display, I know exactly where it'll start the next time I run it; right where I left it. I swear some desktops flip a virtual coin.

Windows 8:

• Improved file explorer UI with more options
  • Improved file transfer dialog with speed graph
  • Proper multimonitor taskbar and wallpaper support
  • Built in .iso mounting and burning
  • Better task manager with more info
  • OSD volume controls/display
  • Built in Hyper-V (previously only avalible in server releases) Please note: however it is a bit stripped down

• Like 3

1 Aero Snap can be rather useful.

2 Folder thumbnails

3 Even though I'm not the biggest fan of equating an app's window with the app itself, it seems to avoid a lot of confusion for people when compared with e.g. OS X where you might close every web browser window and yet it will continue to run.

Internet Explorer.

If Internet Explorer ran on Android, I'd just use Android.

Sometimes on my Android tablet I use the Microsoft RD Client app just so I can use Internet Explorer instead of Chrome.

And by the way, I've tried every browser for Android, and they all suck. 

Hyper V is awesome, and I love the convenience of "Start > type"

Especially in Windows 8, it lets me start apps, launch stuff I've pinned, play albums, open files...it's awesome. 

For me it's the "it just works" factor. For example, my current desktop is still running 7. Installed it once when it hit RTM, hasn't choked yet. No blue screens, no fiddling, no wrestling to get stuff going, none of that Win-rot nonsense, no "wish they made a driver for this", no registry disasters, pretty much any program I can think of is available, random stuff from over 15 years ago still runs and yes it is customizable. Come a long way since the messy XP days. This install is ~5 years old, and it works as good as it did on day one.. it was fun messing around when I was a kid and had time to spare, nowadays not so much. User dumbassery excluded of course, but *shrug* a clueless person can wreck any desktop OS, I've had to fix them all in one form or another.

A bunch of features in 8 I like, but with 10 so close, I'll wait. Digging HyperV on my Server 2012R2 boxes, so can't wait for that on the 10 desktop too.

The other thing that I like is the sane dual monitor functionality; it's not perfect as in flexibility (well, there's an addon for that), but if I park a program on the second display, I know exactly where it'll start the next time I run it; right where I left it. I swear some desktops flip a virtual coin.

The only reason you can't is due to EPT - period.  Merely upgrading to any CPU that supports EPT (which is a lot of Intel and AMD CPUs, to be honest) fixes that lack.  Rather amusingly, there are more AMD CPUs (especially on the lowest end) that support EPT than on the Intel side.  For example, the biggest advantage of Fusion (the rather infamously underperforming AMD E) is built-in EPT (therefore built-in Hyper-V) on any Windows platform that supports Hyper-V - desktop OR server.  That is more than I can say about my current Core 2 Quad Q6600 - basically the desktop equivalent of the XEON X3300 - it only supports Hyper-V in the server flavors of Windows (which will itself go away going forward, as the server flavors will mirror the desktop flavors in the EPT requirement for Hyper-V). Fortunately, EPT in Intel CPUs will be following VT-x in ubiquity; the biggest example is, in fact the Pentium Anniversary Edition, AKA PentiumG3258 - in addition to being extremely OC-friendly, it also features EPT support - it is, in fact, the first non I-series from Intel to support EPT.