Simple Network Setup Questions

You can get a 10 port sg300 for well under 1000 that is poe capable. Also ubiquiti offers switches that are less than 1000 that are poe.

But some aps do come with power injectors..I know the ubiquiti's do.

yeah but that's a 10 port (for a home it's OK i guess but then again i would never buy a 300$ switch for home :D); for a enterprise 24 ports it's the norm in here (so it serves APs and PoE phones, maximizing the rentability of the switch). And those are US prices; for example, in Amazon.es the price for a 24 port is almost the double of the same switch model in US http://www.amazon.es/Cisco-SG300-28MP-K9-EU-Switch-red-negro/dp/B00BIKW3QA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420935332&sr=8-2&keywords=Cisco+SG+300-10MP

Cisco APs do not come with power injectors, they must be bought apart.

No one ever said you need to stick with cisco.  Enterprise, 24 is too small, 48 would be the minimum. 24 is small business.  Enterprise should be using blade switches quite honestly, but they usually try to keep costs down by going with 48 port switches. 

If you have an office of 7 people, they have a computer and a ip phone at each desk.  There are 2-3 printers on site.  And there may be a server and a ap too.  .  You are over the feesable use of a single 10 port by quite a bit.  7 user isn't exactly enterprise.

This thread was simple network..  No sure how we got to 48 port poe switches ;) heheheh

but I show that sg300 below 200 euro as well

http://www.amazon.es/Cisco-SG300-10-Switch-indicadores-negro/dp/B0043TS696

I agree 300 is bit of a high price point for home, but really comes down to household income, budgets, hobbies, etc..  I make a decent living and computers/network/tech are my hobby as well  $300 is a bit much to spend on a switch for the house I agree - but I could see myself pulling the trigger depending.  But for < 200 that sg300 is a steal -- loving it..  Would clearly buy another one to use in my living room vs the smart netgear gs108t that is there now..

I would then love to get some sfps and run fiber between them vs the copper I have now..  But thats a pricy little project for nothing other than being able to say run fiber in the house ;) hehehe

But I am with sc302 on this, 48 is more enterprise baseline -- what we put in closets and stacked with 2 or more of them.  Currently putting in 3850's poe's -- in datacenter using nexus line and fex to add more ports.  24 ports more like small business closets, etc.  Or a very small branch office..  Now if I had a bigger house I would prob put something like a 24+ porter for my core switch - everything with home run back to it..  Either the sg300 or 500 28 porters no poe would kick ass ;)  500 is stackable, so get a 24 with the ability to stack it if needed more ports, that would rock in the home!! ;)

Going with Cisco is more stable and "time is money" so :p My D-Link gives me headaches and sometimes it randonly gets rid of my per port VLAN :( I got my switch used for 135 which it's normally 250-320USD so...

I wanna get a Cisco 24 port PoE one!!!

There are lots of other choices, hp procurve and juniper for examples. Ubiquiti had also entered the market on switches. No need to go cisco for stability.

Ewww HP.... I dunno if I'd trust em for switches.... how have they been for you?

More solid than cisco, cli is very similar. Hp bought 3com for their switch and networking technologies. 3com was one of the premiere networking manufacturers.

Yeh HP Enterprise Network kit is very very solid, not used much of their home stuff, but my previous company ran 100% HP network, was great.

Well the OLD HP stuff was crap.. Have not used any of their stuff in prob 10 years+ so maybe its better now?

Procurve and Cisco switches work fine. 

Just an FYI for some users, as they seem to not understand the difference between a router and a switch

Router - connect 2 PHYSICAL different networks together (ie in most cases at home WAN and LAN, hence you get NAT and an "always on" feel). Yes, they can be used on an internal network as well.

Switch - Connect multiple computers together.

^ that's the super basic explanation. I'm sure someone will come in and say I'm wrong, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

not so much wrong, but I don't like the use of 2 in your router description..  Routers can route traffic between way more than 2 different segments.  For example even on my home router there is the 1 public internet connection, but 3 different physical segments on the lan side 192.168.1.0/24, 2.0/24 and 3.0/24  And between your internal segments you don't normally nat.   Nat is point of confusion for many users I think.

Other than that its fine ;)  Other than not understanding your "always on" feel??

Switch yes agree, unless its a layer 3 switch doing routing ;) hehehe  But then those are normally done with vlans - which is different than physical segments.  Tagged traffic vs non tagged, etc. Can get in to lots of different topics talking about switching ;)

I get where your trying to go with it though - need to make some distinctions, for example with a normal "router" you would not put more than 1 interface on the same segment.  Because they are not switch ports.. I see that quite a bit on the pfsense forums where users have some box with multiple nics in it.. And they want to bridge them together and use them as switch ports like they do with their soho devices they buy at the computer store.

Those devices are actually quite unique combination devices with routing and switch ports and then AP connected to the switch via bridge normally.

I'm with ya brother - just some clarification would be my addition to your valiant attempt

Never had an issue with a hp 5408 switch. 

Does it at least have PoE?

Does it at least have PoE?

The one I had does not, however there are models in the line that do support poe like this one J9448A (but that is a 5412).

This wouldn't be a bad buy if it had gig blades/modules in it (these had/have lifetime warranty on them):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Procurve-Switch-5408xl-J4819A-/321541559127

One with gig modules in it and redundant power supplies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProCurve-5308XL-J4819A-CHASSIS-W-8-J4907A-2-J4839A-PWR-SUPPLY-SEE-PHOTOS-/191432896905?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item2c924a3189

Just as a note we've gone way off topic here.

The original question was about a simple home network setup and now we're onto Enterprise networking with PoE?...sidetracked much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a note we've gone way off topic here.

The original question was about a simple home network setup and now we're onto Enterprise networking with PoE?...sidetracked much.

LOL    yea, i finally got comcast out to run the line from the pole to the house, and set it up with the cable modem to router and then 2 switches, and it works great!   so thanks for the help guys

plus, all the other info that's been going back and forth has taught me some stuff too, so it was a win-win