South Carolina rape suspect beaten by victim's Boyfriend

Having done EXACTLY this to the bastard that raped my sister, I can well understand how the guy was feeling at the time.

Common sense, hell, even thought, doesn't come anywhere into the situation.  I regret my actions, but I don't apologise for them.  Neither will this guy.

One can understand such a reaction but that doesn't mean one should be proud of it. Nobody should admire the boyfriend for beating a man to within an inch of his life but one can empathise with it.

One can understand such a reaction but that doesn't mean one should be proud of it. Nobody should admire the boyfriend for beating a man to within an inch of his life but one can empathise with it.

What would you do in this situation? That man was violent, raping someone..  He could have a knife, gun.. What would you do to stop this and ensure you and your lover's safety?

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?

nope, just an old fallacy. You would be assuming 50% of people commit a particular crime to all separate individuals with no repeated victims.

what if we change the saying?

A dollar for a dollar and the whole world goes broke?

A hair for a hair and everyone goes bald?

etc etc etc...

The older I get it seems as if I can clearly tell a generational difference in opinions on how one deals with situations.

LOL

"You damned kids turn down that music and get off my lawn !!"    :D  j/k man

If for the sake of clarity the perp had died from the assault it would be classed as a crime of passion,clearly not premeditated and under different sentencing rules.

Nope. The self defense laws in most states include defending third parties, especially when a sexual assault is being committed. This includes the use of deadly force, and civil immunity for the defender if the SOB kicks the bucket.

• Like 2

Are you serious right now? You catch a guy in the act of raping your girlfriend and you're just going to what? Politely ask him to stop?

"Please sir, please stop. No, don't violate her like that. Sir, maybe we could discuss your issues over a cup of tea."

• Like 2

Its funny - everyone is debating their stance, yet nobody has cared to look @ the updated info of the article.

That makes it even worse. To assault someone while the police are already dealing with him is absolutely unacceptable. The boyfriend is an animal and no better than the rapist - not surprising when you consider they're related. One also has to question how such a vicious assault could be allowed to happen by the police.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?

So if you had walked in on some guy raping your girlfriend you would have calmly stopped and said, "Sir, could you please remove your penis from my girlfriend and have a seat while I call the police?"

I say good for the boyfriend; sexual predators are one class of "people" I have no sympathy for.  They destroy a person's feeling of self confidence and self worth.  That poor girl will never be the same because of what that POS did to her, she will never be able to feel 100% comfortable in her own skin again, because when it really counted, she couldn't stop another person from violating her own body.  I say the boyfriend would have been completely justified in killing that thing.

They'll probably end up getting him with statutory rape.  The fact that the boyfriend isn't named implies that he's underage, which would mean the girl probably is as well.  Doesn't mean it wasn't "consensual" other than the fact that she isn't allowed to give consent in that situation. 

Too be fair, you're the one making this assumption. You started the thread countering someone who said that the guy hopes he learned his lesson.

If you act a fool, you face the consequences. Whether the rapist ate the fist of an emotional man, or had he slipped and fallen down the stairs breaking his back, I'm pretty sure the reaction would be the same here.

I don't think anyone has said that the guy was a hero. Simply sympathizing/empathizing with the situation. I cannot blame the man for his actions either. It's no different than how many mothers would act, except that maybe this guy is stronger than a feeble old woman.

That makes it even worse. To assault someone while the police are already dealing with him is absolutely unacceptable. The boyfriend is an animal and no better than the rapist - not surprising when you consider they're related. One also has to question how such a vicious assault could be allowed to happen by the police.

theyarecomingforyou - I think you are just trolling or just kidding around.  You honestly think that someone is so distraught, they beat someone with the police around is the same as raping a woman ?  Seriously ?  No - of course you're not serious - cant be.

As for the article - I think this is a matter of a cheating woman.  The "rapist" comes back to the scene to give his side of the story ??  How many rapists would go back to the scene of the crime to plea their case ?  NONE

The only thing that makes sense, is this guy was trying to tell the cops what really happened - and the boyfriend/nephew cant accept the fact his woman was cheating so he pummeled the guy - I think he is innocent based on what I have read.

• Like 2

The only thing that makes sense, is this guy was trying to tell the cops what really happened - and the boyfriend/nephew cant accept the fact his woman was cheating so he pummeled the guy - I think he is innocent based on what I have read.

Which sucks because he was named in this case as a suspected rapist, it will make his life much more difficult if found innocent than it would have been had he not been reported so quickly of his suspected crime.

• Like 2

Nagisan, on 03 Jan 2015 - 14:12, said:

Which sucks because he was named in this case as a suspected rapist, it will make his life much more difficult if found innocent than it would have been had he not been reported so quickly of his suspected crime.

The law might differ a bit here in the states but during an investigation they will not release someone's name unless there is enough credible evidence to charge and or prosecute for the crime. 

The law might differ a bit here in the states but during an investigation they will not release someone's name unless there is enough credible evidence to charge and or prosecute for the crime. 

A lot of the time the media gets a hold of names one way or another (friends/family of the victim, etc) and publishes their own stories based on what is known at the time (no matter how little), which is extremely inconvenient for anyone innocent who is wrongly labelled for committing a crime.

• New Year's Eve
  • South Carolina
  • Drinking
  • Drinking on New Year's Eve
  • Alleged rape occurring in bedroom with alleged perp on top
  • Language does not say caught raping, forcing, just on top with all of the above facts

I don't know what happened, rape is a terrible and cowardly thing for a man to do; but, this is probably not the test case to promote support of vigilante justice.

There isn't enough definitive evidence either way, but the female denies it was consensual. There is also that in South Carolina the age of consent and statutory rape laws could come into play;

The basic age of consent is 16. However, if the older partner is 18 or younger their partner can be as young as 14 (a Romeo & Juliet law.)

If the older partner is over 18 (the accused) the basic age of consent applies, so a younger partner of <16 would be statutory rape.

The bottom line is that if the girl were under 16 it could be nominally consensual but still statutory rape.

There isn't enough definitive evidence either way, but the female denies it was consensual. There is also that in South Carolina the age of consent and statutory rape laws could come into play;

The basic age of consent is 16. However, if the older partner is 18 or younger their partner can be as young as 14 (a Romeo & Juliet law.)

If the older partner is over 18 (the accused) the basic age of consent applies, so a younger partner of <16 would be statutory rape.

The bottom line is that if the girl were under 16 it could be nominally consensual but still statutory rape.

She could be older though.

One of my nephew is only 5 years younger than me. We are basically like brother.

While true, given the age of the uncle (of the "victims" boyfriend), its just as likely that the nephew and his girlfriend are not underage. I have been an uncle myself since I was 14, by the time I'm 52 my nephews will be 36 and 38. My sister, being 4 years older than me, would have to have a kid at 40 for a nephew to be under 16 by the time I was 52...not saying it's impossible but it's considerably less likely than the alternative. But again, the story really doesn't have enough info yet to draw clear conclusions.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Violently assaulting someone isn't justice, it's vengeance. Decent people don't stoop to the level of common criminals. It's harder to do the right thing but that's what people of high moral calibre need to do.

You think beating a rapist you literally find on top of your girlfriend is the wrong thing to do? 

You think beating a rapist you literally find on top of your girlfriend is the wrong thing to do? 

If it was in the heat of the moment it would be one thing but the alleged rapist was already being arrested by police when the boyfriend attacked him. I object to the notion that if somebody has committed a criminal offence that it's justified to attack them to such a horrific extent. No-one can condone what the boyfriend did.