South Carolina rape suspect beaten by victim's Boyfriend

That's different, and not what the initial post stated. I stand corrected. If the guy was in custody, then the boyfriend's action were wrong, but understandable.

But as the story was initially presented? In that situation, completely justified.

You're right, in my OP I cited an article - then on the 2nd page - I found another one with more info, I even stated "I stand corrected" and commented on how things may not be what it initially looked like.

Sorry.   -1 point for bad journalism 

As for your other point - lethal force should only ever be used in life-or-death situations. It concerns me that you're so willing to kill someone in the heat of the moment without full awareness of the situation. It also concerns me that even in non-life-or-death situations you would attack anyone until they stop moving. Is society where you live really so violent that you have to be willing to cripple or kill someone at a moment's notice? It's human instinct to protect yourself and loved ones, to do what it takes to keep them safe. However, it seems your violence is premeditated - that you've planned your response to be violent knowing it will be considered acceptable in the eyes of the law. That to me is troubling. I find such a mentality utterly abhorrent.

I find it troubling that you'd be reluctant to use as much force as necessary to stop an attack on a loved one. I'm willing to use force, including lethal force if necessary. If the person leaves or gives up when I arrive, that's obviously better for all parties. But you can't assume the best case scenario if something like this were to occur.

I'm not eager to inflict harm on anyone, but neither would I want anyone I love to come to harm because I'm reluctant to use force.

What is your criterion for a "life-or-death" situation? When I did martial arts, my instructor taught us to avoid conflict when possible. But if needed, use whatever force is necessary to end it. If you are attacked, then your life is at risk, and you need to act accordingly. Any attack, by my standards and those of my instructor, is a life-or-death situation. The same is true if a friend or relative were attacked. You cannot assume or hope that an attacker will go easy on the victim.

I said nothing of brutalizing the attacker, or deliberately "finishing them off". However in a life-or-death situation, you need to put your own safety, and that of whom you're protecting, first. If I knock someone down in (self-)defense, I'm going to make sure they stay down, for my own safety and that of the people around me. I'm going to make sure that the attack will not continue, and once sure of that, only then I'll worry about the condition of the attacker. To do otherwise puts yourself and others in unnecessary danger.

I find it troubling that you'd be reluctant to use as much force as necessary to stop an attack on a loved one. I'm willing to use lethal force if necessary. If the person leaves or gives up when I arrive, that's obviously better for all parties. But you can't assume the best case scenario if something like this were to occur.

I'm not eager to inflict harm on anyone, but neither would I want anyone I love to come to harm because I'm reluctant to use force.

What is your criterion for a "life-or-death" situation? When I did martial arts, my instructor taught us to avoid conflict when possible. But if needed, use whatever force is necessary to end it. If you are attacked, then your life is at risk, and you need to act accordingly. Any attack, by my standards and those of my instructor, is a life-or-death situation. The same is true if a friend or relative were attacked. You cannot assume or hope that an attacker will go easy on the victim.

I said nothing of brutalizing the attacker, or deliberately "finishing them off". However in a life-or-death situation, you need to put your own safety, and that of whom you're protecting, first. If I knock someone down, I'm going to make sure they stay down, for my own safety and that of the people around me. I'm going to make sure that the attack will not continue, and once sure of that, only then I'll worry about the condition of the attacker. To do otherwise puts yourself in danger.

I, like most people, would be willing to use force to defend loved ones or myself but the way you talk about it is disconcerting. For me violence is always an absolute last resort. I mean, in this case we're talking about a fight between two family members. For me the violence here seems utterly disproportionate and concerning, especially given that it occurred during the arrest. The boyfriend seems like a rather unpleasant person.

Anyway, I don't mean anything personally by it. :)

theyarecomingforyou - if we are ever in a situation where you and I are stranded on an island, and each of us is starving to death, and there is no food - with your pascifist mindset... I hope you are tasty, because you are going to be a meal - just sayin' :omg:

I, like most people, would be willing to use force to defend loved ones or myself but the way you talk about it is disconcerting. For me violence is always an absolute last resort. I mean, in this case we're talking about a fight between two family members. For me the violence here seems utterly disproportionate and concerning, especially given that it occurred during the arrest. The boyfriend seems like a rather unpleasant person.

Anyway, I don't mean anything personally by it. :)

I'm talking about defense in general, not necessarily in this specific case. I'm as quiet and gentle as they come normally, but freely admit to a "papa bear" streak when it comes to my family and friends. And since one of my closest friends was raped, the subject definitely brings it out in me.

Certainly, as things were presented in the followup his actions seem disproportionate.