Android > WP

I use it but only for messaging, I think I once received a call on it and was very dissapointed with the audio quality extemely overcompressed needlessly as both parties were on Wi-Fi at the time.

Are there any subscription music service apps that are better at recovering from loss of connection?

Originally switched from Spotiify to Rdio because I was using it with my chromecast but I don't do that very often, one of hte annoying things about Rdio is if your streaming something over 3G and lose the signal it sometimes decides it's not going to bother getting the stream back once it's reconnected.  It's a mobile app it should be coded to deal with a spotty internet connection.

Spotify and Xbox Music both have offline music, so does WIMP if it's available in UK.

And in any case WP is no worse at multi tasking than Android or arguably better since it avoids this flaw.

The OS should not have to overcome lazy coding.  It is also possible they fixed their mistake in WP but never did for Android when you tried it.  Either way, it isn't a shortcoming of Android.  WP is a great OS, but don't take potshots (especially one revolving around an app bug/inconsistency) at Android to try and show it.

I tried one, frustrated the daylights out of me, it's great if all you want is a simple device and don't multitask or care about YouTube since MS won't follow the rules, my teenager son needed better so we passed, handset still sitting in a drawer unused 

Multitasking is on Windows Phone and has been since WP7.5 I believe.

Lets get one thing straight about the whole YouTube debacle, Microsoft changed the app to follow the rules that Google laid out, Google then decided to move the goalposts and demanded an HTML5 app instead, even though Android and iOS both have native apps. It's not about Microsoft following the rules but instead the completely irrational hate that Google have for anything Microsoft.

If Google don't want me to use their services due to my choice of device then that's fine, I'll use alternatives that DO have native apps on my choice of device!!!

(Yes I do know that third party YouTube apps exist on WP)

• Like 2

The OS should not have to overcome lazy coding.  It is also possible they fixed their mistake in WP but never did for Android when you tried it.  Either way, it isn't a shortcoming of Android.  WP is a great OS, but don't take potshots (especially one revolving around an app bug/inconsistency) at Android to try and show it.

Actually, when it comes to multitasking, it should be the OS handling it, NOT up to the app to do it properly.

That's like demanding all windows apps to include special multi tasking code or they will die when you minimize them, and that would be ok....

Actually, when it comes to multitasking, it should be the OS handling it, NOT up to the app to do it properly.

That's like demanding all windows apps to include special multi tasking code or they will die when you minimize them, and that would be ok....

Really?  The activity lifecycle guide for Android says otherwise.

http://developer.android.com/training/basics/activity-lifecycle/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got the Lumia 735 in the end due to the fact it works out a lot cheaper and I could put a 64GB micro SD in.

Replaced Rdio with spotify as the RDIO WP app wasn't that good and I got 3 months spotify premium for the price of 1.

Like the phone for the most part other than I seem to be running into an annoying problem that it will sometimes reboot itself when in the car, Not sure if it's the bluetooth or spotify causing it but I think it's probably the bluetooth.

Kinda of annoying as if I've actually started driving it means I can't do anything about it untill I get somewhere i can stop and look at it, I like to set a playlist going on shuffle before I set off (Use a playlist that's synced for offline playback) and then leave it alone.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't side with whichever is better argument. However my first smartphone was Galaxy Apollo, then transitioned to Galaxy S and current on Galaxy S2 . But when it is time for upgrade I might consider a Lumia. My wife's Lumia 520 is a no nonsense phone and it's nice. If I ever buy a Lumia, I will stop using apps which are not available on the hardware. In short will not get dictated by software limitations.

Really?  The activity lifecycle guide for Android says otherwise.

http://developer.android.com/training/basics/activity-lifecycle/index.html

So Android developer guidelines apply to WP do they?

We were talking about Android. Please try and keep up.

I am keeping up, this is the Windows Phone section of the forum so what relevance does Android developer guidelines have to do with Windows Phone?

I am keeping up, this is the Windows Phone section of the forum so what relevance does Android developer guidelines have to do with Windows Phone?

I have faith that you can go read our discussion and figure it out. Just admit it, you jumped the gun without reading everything beforehand.

I have faith that you can go read our discussion and figure it out. Just admit it, you jumped the gun without reading everything beforehand.

Actually I've been following the discussion so no jumping the gun here, nice to know you avoid my questions entirely though!!!!

Indeed the activesync is Microsoft exchange (office365) so you'd hope that a Microsoft developed OS would play nice with their email server, be rather worried if they couldn't get that right.

You say that but I get more complaints with a users Windows phone having email connection issues (every other month) than I do with iPhone or Android (once a year at most).

Actually I've been following the discussion so no jumping the gun here, nice to know you avoid my questions entirely though!!!!

Not avoiding, choosing not to discuss something not relevant to a discussion that didn't even include you. What it had to do with was my discussion with hawkman, not your irrelevant comments.