External HDD stopped working & Laptop HDD

I have a MyBook Studio II which holds 2TB that stopped working in 2012 (I believe). It seems to power on, but then powers down a few seconds later or sometimes it'll just flash the blue light when I plug in the power supply. I swapped out power supplies and none work. I can't remember if I already was able to recover majority of data but, I just want to make sure I can do it myself before I waste money on a data recovery expert.

I have a BestBuy gift card and was looking at buying this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-dual-bay-docking-station-for-most-internal-sata-hard-drives/9419596.p?id=1218102199901&skuId=9419596

I also have a laptop that my buddy gave me to retrieve files from while we were deployed. He seemed to forget his password and he mailed it to me with no power supply (I know it sounds fishy), but the laptop HDD should be able to mount in the above dock as well, correct? If so, would I need to use Windows on my Mac to access files or will OSX allow me to access them?

I have a MyBook Studio II which holds 2TB that stopped working in 2012 (I believe). It seems to power on, but then powers down a few seconds later or sometimes it'll just flash the blue light when I plug in the power supply. I swapped out power supplies and none work. I can't remember if I already was able to recover majority of data but, I just want to make sure I can do it myself before I waste money on a data recovery expert.

I have a BestBuy gift card and was looking at buying this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-dual-bay-docking-station-for-most-internal-sata-hard-drives/9419596.p?id=1218102199901&skuId=9419596

I also have a laptop that my buddy gave me to retrieve files from while we were deployed. He seemed to forget his password and he mailed it to me with no power supply (I know it sounds fishy), but the laptop HDD should be able to mount in the above dock as well, correct? If so, would I need to use Windows on my Mac to access files or will OSX allow me to access them?

That dock should be sufficient. Regarding the laptop, as long as the drive has a SATA interface (most laptops since 2008 or so), it should work fine as well. I'm not sure if OS X still mounts NTFS as read-only, but that should be sufficient for recovery.

That dock should be sufficient. Regarding the laptop, as long as the drive has a SATA interface (most laptops since 2008 or so), it should work fine as well. I'm not sure if OS X still mounts NTFS as read-only, but that should be sufficient for recovery.

Thank you. I don't know how old the laptop is, all I know is it's a HP Pavilion dv2500 and he had it while we were deployed in mid-2008. It boots up, he just forgot his password. It's running Windows Vista if I'm not mistaken and I don't believe the USB works.

OS X will mount NTFS read only so you should be able to recover his files that way and I recommend that way. If you need access to his computer for whatever reason, you can use hirens boot cd on a flash drive. It had password reset tools so you can reset his accounts password

OS X will mount NTFS read only so you should be able to recover his files that way and I recommend that way. If you need access to his computer for whatever reason, you can use hirens boot cd on a flash drive. It had password reset tools so you can reset his accounts password

Thanks, I'm going to try today. If I remember correctly his USB and CD drive didn't work.

So all I would have do to is put his laptop HDD in the enclosure and it'll mount to OSX?

Okay, the BestBuy by my house didn't have the one I posted in the original post. So I bought the enclosure for the laptop HDD for now. Turns out, it's the wrong one?

HDD

sata2_zpscb48265a.jpg

Enclosure

sata_zps046cc0df.jpg

Okay, the BestBuy by my house didn't have the one I posted in the original post. So I bought the enclosure for the laptop HDD for now. Turns out, it's the wrong one?

HDD

sata2_zpscb48265a.jpg

Enclosure

What the hell is that?

It looks like it has a custom joiner/end. can that bit be removed it might have normal sata or your unlucky and the hdd is non standard.

Genius! It worked and I was able to grab everything pretty much.

Now, I just need an enclosure for the 2TB external HDD.

There are a few password removers that let you tell the program where to look for the NT password

However, I dont know if we can post those things on here -

If someone says its OK - I'll give you a couple options

the most popular program that can tell you what the password is instead of just removing it - you can tell it where to look for the password (as in point it to the drive you need)

There are a few password removers that let you tell the program where to look for the NT password

However, I dont know if we can post those things on here -

If someone says its OK - I'll give you a couple options

the most popular program that can tell you what the password is instead of just removing it - you can tell it where to look for the password (as in point it to the drive you need)

Thank you, I'll google the answer.

But, I spoke with my buddy and he said as long as I could just copy the HDD and put it on a USB drive then I can just get rid of the laptop.