Back to Seven ...

Oddly enough I'm use to Windows 8 but only with a start menu, someone just needs to kill that screen with fire. Not going to go on a long rant about it only because Windows 10 is looking to correct most of that abomination.

Honestly they need to add a lot of customization to it to make it better. There was someone on Neowin who compared Win 8 to Win 95 and the only comparrision that seems to be relevant the most is Win 95 vs the Start Screen. It's a good layout of a UI but just so ugly and seems "patched" onto windows. But UI can never be judged on a sole comment.

The bright colors of Office 365 even on dark grey aren't designed with people in mind that work more than a few minutes in Outlook or Word. The ribbon bar at the top looks awful in this flat white. Take a moment and google a picture of Office 2007 or 2010 and compare those 2 to the latest Office. If you tell me that those don't look cleaner and more eye pleasing then I simply have to admit that it is just me. :)

This a 1000 times over, Word 2013 is so hard to look at and use with the default "White" colour scheme. I find it incredibly hard on my eyes, their is just no contrast between the document you are working on, the menu's and rest of the screen. It's just a screen full of white...

Luckily the "Dark Grey" theme provides enough contrast to allow me to comfortably use Word, Excel and Outlook.

The blue theme of the Office 2007 applications was so easy on the eyes to look at for extended periods of time, that really was the nicest (looking anyway) version of Office released to date. Since then the GUI has gradually got more bland and lifeless with each new version.

Not all the settings are in Metro. You have to go back and forth, or just use desktop and Control Panel, etc..

Windows Repair is HORRIBLE. I have yet to have it repair anything. Not that 10 will fix that, but Win7, much more reliable.

Driver issues still more prevalent than Win7. It does work with wider range of hardware, though.

Not all items show in the Search. I like that Win8.1 consolidated the searches, but had better results in 7&8.

I actually see more BSoDs with Win8/8.1 than 7. Mostly due to AV and drivers.

It's next to impossible to get into Safe Mode unless you boot off media or it fails to boot and you can get the advanced settings. Even then, Restore has seldom worked correctly complared to Windows 7.

I can keep going...

A 1,000 times repeated my friend. I hate full screen apps that scroll left to righat with the up and down scroll. You can tell it is optimized for tablets. No shadow volume copy too. All white and pastel colors. Windows 8 idea is to remove everything off the desk for single tasking like a phone for UAC or when you hit the Windows key. Google close door syndrome?

I need to be able to read an Outook email and do instant search while still having outlook up.

Sorry it is a design flat to undo short term memory which is what the start screen does. Benchmarks show no difference between 7 and 8.1, anyway so no gains

Well to be honest, 7's all right, I'll admit it doesn't have the features that have split this community up, (love it or hate it, not the point)

And one assumes once the full version of 10 comes out, it should have the functionality one expects from it, but for me, I'd probably stay where I am, I prefer things to work and not have to troubleshoot why I seem to keep buying or fudging up installs of 8+ and have various wifi sleep, and a couple of other issues. (probably very well could be I'm doing something wrong but I don't have any of these problems with 7)

I feel Windows 10 will reunite the neowin community. Still 7 loyalists who rant on for several years like some who still cling to XP as best OS ever. But will be tiny.

Windows 8 like Vista was a very bad release. Regardless if you adapted to it's quirks or not. Ms needs to listen to its users in the future and don't rush. Metro was not done on the desktop

Nice contradiction here, 10 is a slightly retooled 8 in the looks department, functionally are the same. don't see how you can't like on and liker the other, makes no sense, unless you only dislike 8 because that's the trendy thing to do 

No contradiction at all, clearly you didn't read my post, and just went straight onto the 'Win 8 defense' as that's the trendy thing to do.

I already mentioned the main gripes that I have all of which will be addressed (except for Aero - maybe), plus it will bring both new and improved features that i'm looking forward to.

I take them as they come. I still have 1 Vista system, 4 Windows 7 systems, 3 Windows 8.1 systems an Android system and a Linux system. They all work and I have fun with all of them. Only the maintenance is a pain.

If you wonder why so many systems - they are spread over 3 locations thousands of miles apart.

Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 are great steps forward. 

You only have to work in enterprise to work that one out - there's absolutely no magic in home\consumer systems, they're boring as bat ######.

I was always a Windows 8 hater, but after seeing improvements with 8.1 and Update 1, I ended up liking it.

I have Windows 10 installed on my old laptop, and really do look forward to a new release, and then of course Final,

but I've actually gotten so used to Windows 8.1 that I actually have a hard time navigating on Windows 10.

But of course I'd rather get used to using it than stay on Windows 8.1.

Although I did love Windows 7 back in day, I would never go back to it, no point.

I'm a bit perplexed when a majority of the things you complained about are not options in Windows 7. Just don't use them in 8 and enjoy the speed and other enhancements that 8 brings with it. Done. I just don't see the point of saying "Windows 8 has 'x' additional feature that doesn't work for me so I need to go back to 7 even though 8's base is identical (and better performance wise in many cases than 7's).

Its like buying a new car, the same exact model as your old car and complaining that you now have fog lights, but they don't always work, so you go back to your old car without fog lights.

sinetheo, on 10 Jan 2015 - 11:58, said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

This is the single worst phrase ever. I demand you disconnect all your electronics, turn off your house's electricity, and do everything manually, because you know "it wasn't broke back then, why fix it with electricity or something?".

It defeats the entire purpose of human existence that is to constantly evolve and improve on what we have. Pretty much every invention ever was "fixing" something that "wasn't broke", so if you truly believe this phrase, have fun living in the woods and hunting your food forever, cause you know, it works.

I personally never left Seven.  My computers that were running 7 before Win 8 came out still run Win 7.  I only run Win 8 on machines that came with it.  To me, there isn't a significant difference between Win 7, Win 8 or Win 10.  None of them are clearly that much different or better/worse to warrant switching a running machine to a different OS.  When Win 10 ships later this year, I won't switch any of my current machines to it but most likely any new machines I buy or build will run Win 10.

To me, it's not worth the hassle of switching to a different OS when there is no clear benefit for doing so.  Obviously, there are many that don't share my viewpoint.  I think it's great that we have a choice.

The last machine I upgraded was an old Acer Aspire One netbook I had that originally came with XP.  When support for XP ended, I went ahead and upgraded that machine to Win 8.1.  It ran Win 8 better than it ran XP.

that's my feeling as well. If I get a new laptop, it will be an OEM with Windows 10. I can go in and delete the cruftware, usually its just down to norton utilties that I remove.

I'm a bit perplexed when a majority of the things you complained about are not options in Windows 7. Just don't use them in 8 and enjoy the speed and other enhancements that 8 brings with it. Done. I just don't see the point of saying "Windows 8 has 'x' additional feature that doesn't work for me so I need to go back to 7 even though 8's base is identical (and better performance wise in many cases than 7's).

Its like buying a new car, the same exact model as your old car and complaining that you now have fog lights, but they don't always work, so you go back to your old car without fog lights.

He stated on page 1 or 2 (the OP) that, he didn't hate 8 rather, he found those things as annoyances.

This is the single worst phrase ever. I demand you disconnect all your electronics, turn off your house's electricity, and do everything manually, because you know "it wasn't broke back then, why fix it with electricity or something?".

It defeats the entire purpose of human existence that is to constantly evolve and improve on what we have. Pretty much every invention ever was "fixing" something that "wasn't broke", so if you truly believe this phrase, have fun living in the woods and hunting your food forever, cause you know, it works.

Best phrase ever! Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and throw our your pefrectlly good working car for a new model. After all it is against humanity to stick with an older car that still works and save money right by the same logic? Companies wasted sooo much money throwing away perfectly good working Windows XP systems that did the same job the same way as were the newer pcs with Windows 7. Zero return on investment just because Microsoft got greedy. If they could charge $40 per user they would stick with Windows XP for another 13 years because there is zero risk avoiding change.

As we found out with Windows Vista and 8 is that not all change for the sake of change is good.

We neowinners get ###### off with statements such as mine, but at work who cares. Customers are not benefiting when they have to pay higher prices to replace working equipment. At work in IT I notice each time we upgrade users and management always get ###### off at me. Why? Risk! Ports do not always work after an upgrade. Bugs exist in updated programs. Menus are replaced with ribbons and productivity suffers and deadlines are not met as a result.

Some places still have 30 year old VAX machines and green screen original 1982 IBM pcs to run factory equipment. Why? It works just fine and is very expensive to replace and would hurt the shareprice and get the CEO fired.

So if something works keep it. Not worth the risk unless it is better. It just is not worth an upgrade and the hassle for what could go wrong and the lost money for no reason at all.

I demand you disconnect all your electronics, turn off your house's electricity, and do everything manually, because you know "it wasn't broke back then, why fix it with electricity or something?".

If you are Amish, you can do it. And the Amish live quite well without all those facilities that we think are essential.

It seems everything in the OP are things complaining about stuff that Windows 8 has but Windows 7 does not. How exactly would then going back to Windows 7 fix any of these things? You are by no means obligated to use any of the metro stuff, and if you do that you are better off on Windows 8 because it uses fewer resources, has a much better explorer, more secure.

You don't need to use the Metro apps at all, though. I've enjoyed the Start Screen just because I find it a much better task launcher than the Start Menu ever was. I organize all my desktop apps by groups -- ie Internet, Office, Development, Design, Games -- and it takes a quick swipe of the scroll wheel to get where I want to go. Click on the Start button, swipe, and click, and I get to the app I want. Plus, I've also enjoyed other features, like the Networks sidebar, which I find more intuitive than what existed previously, and also the overlay clock, so I can see the time when I'm in full screen games. I don't rely on the Start Screen for news, though the Weather display is nice. I hardly ever go into the Weather app, its just nice that the live tile is there.

The flexibility that they're adding in W10 is nice, though most likely, I'm keeping Start full screen, just because of how I'm organizing it by group, which will require the scrollbar. I've never found the complaints about it takes up your whole screen really meaningful, because you're in and youre out. The more significant improvements in W10 to me are allowing people to have windowed versions of the modern apps, which makes them more useful on desktop.

Have had no problems with the OneDrive connectivity myself. I'm saving more often to the cloud now than before, since its easier to do. Yes, definitely though, the options for it and everything else could use some refinement.