Traveling to Europe

If anyone has any advice on SIM cards I'd love to hear it.

Also, do I need a transformer to use my US devices in Europe?  I know I need a plug adapter but I'm also going from 110 to 220.  I know laptop adapters usually handle the change but what about phone and tablet chargers?

If anyone has any advice on SIM cards I'd love to hear it.

Also, do I need a transformer to use my US devices in Europe?  I know I need a plug adapter but I'm also going from 110 to 220.  I know laptop adapters usually handle the change but what about phone and tablet chargers?

Buy the most basic travel adapter from Walmart, maybe one with a usb in it and you will be fine.  don't spend money on expensive travel adapters, they are useless.  As far as sim cards go, I have an unlocked iPhone and every time I go to Europe I simply buy sim cards from a preferred network and add $$ to it.  Usually I just get data and use iMessage and WhatsApp to communicate.   

Buy the most basic travel adapter from Walmart, maybe one with a usb in it and you will be fine.  don't spend money on expensive travel adapters, they are useless.  As far as sim cards go, I have an unlocked iPhone and every time I go to Europe I simply buy sim cards from a preferred network and add $$ to it.  Usually I just get data and use iMessage and WhatsApp to communicate.   

A lot of the ones I'm seeing specifically say they don't work in Italy.  The ones I'm seeing have two round prongs.

Edit:  Also, where do you get the sim card from, an actual cell store?

A lot of the ones I'm seeing specifically say they don't work in Italy.  The ones I'm seeing have two round prongs.

Edit:  Also, where do you get the sim card from, an actual cell store?

They will work fine in italy, it's the same plug as the rest of the europe.  I've used my walmart adapter in Europe 6 times already.  And you will find cell phone stores EVERYWHERE, every bus/rail station or airport has them.  T-Mobile is huge in Europe, i'd recommend looking on their site.  

They will work fine in italy, it's the same plug as the rest of the europe.  I've used my walmart adapter in Europe 6 times already.  And you will find cell phone stores EVERYWHERE, every bus/rail station or airport has them.  T-Mobile is huge in Europe, i'd recommend looking on their site.  

Thanks for the tips.  So something like this would work, right?

Adapter-for-paris-300x300.jpg

Another thing to consider is if you plan on shopping bring cash. Most stores in in France, Germany, and the Netherlands no longer accept US-style magnetic stripe credit cards - they all have Chip and PIN cards. You can use your credit cards at bank ATMs or in the banks themselves if you'd feel safer.

Another thing to consider is if you plan on shopping bring cash. Most stores in in France, Germany, and the Netherlands no longer accept US-style magnetic stripe credit cards - they all have Chip and PIN cards. You can use your credit cards at bank ATMs or in the banks themselves if you'd feel safer.

We're finally switching over to chip and PIN cards here too.  What I did was get myself a credit card that doesn't charge for international purchases, no annual fee, and no interest for a year (from now when I got it).  That should let me use it over there and pay it off when I get back without having to pay interest.

Another question that I just thought of regarding cell service. Will I require a new SIM in each country?

Another question that I just thought of regarding cell service. Will I require a new SIM in each country?

Yes, unless they have decent roaming plans and T-Mobile is pretty good throughout the countries where you're headed.

Yes. But many random places all around everywhere offer free wifi, so if it is Internet you need, you will find that without issues. Afaik, the equal price of roaming across EU is not a reality yet.

Sockets:

Mainland EU all use the 2 pin socket. If you use your device in the EU, make sure it takes 220v before you plug it in! If it takes 110 but not 220, plugging it in will probably destroy it.

The exception is the UK - which has a different 3 pin socket, and 240v. If you visit the UK (inc. Scotland) you can either get a separate US->UK adapter, or just pick up a cheap "shaver adapter" when you're here (they're about $3) and use that to plug in your EU adapter. Both ways will work fine. Most hotels will have adapters you can use if required.

SIMs:

You *can* get a separate SIM for each country, but it's probably not worth it. Check what WiFi is available, and whether you can use Skype. If you do get a local SIM, setup a local skype-in number, so you only get charged for local calls.

There are also services such as http://www.travelsim.com/ - which offer rates which are more expensive than local sims, but cheaper than regular roaming rates, if you don't want to mess around buying multiple SIMs.

Also - check your phone is unlocked ;).

Credit Cards:

The no-fee credit card may seem like a good idea, but they make up for no fees by giving incredibly crap interest rates. You will more often than not be better off getting cash before you go, and getting rid of your left over euros before you head back to the states (so you can sell it at the buying rate ;)).

Whatever you do, don't use your credit card in an ATM - that will occur fees and interest (even if your card is interest free). If you need to draw cash here, use a debit card. Even better, buying currency from a bureau de change will work out cheaper, as they can do your debit card transaction in dollars.

Also, avoid those "travel money cards" or "currency cards" - they're normally pre-paid mastercards, but from experience they are a right pain. I had one in the states and it decided to not work, meaning I had to call the company, and get them to send me the money to a western union joint. Not fun.

Rule of thumb - when travelling, cash is king ;).

Edit: one more tip.

Three UK - http://www.three.co.uk - offer what they call "feel at home" - which means you can roam in most countries in Europe (and the US) for the same cost as calling locally. This works on pay as you go, but you have to have been a customer for at least 30 days before you can use it.

The trick:

- Order a free SIM to be delivered in the UK (one of us could do that) and send it to you if required at least 30 days before you go (ideally a bit more)

- Call the sim every so often to keep it alive.

- After 30 days, call Three to activate feel at home.

- Before you go, top up

Yes, unless they have decent roaming plans and T-Mobile is pretty good throughout the countries where you're headed.

I'll check T Mobile out.  Thanks!

Sockets:

Mainland EU all use the 2 pin socket. If you use your device in the EU, make sure it takes 220v before you plug it in! If it takes 110 but not 220, plugging it in will probably destroy it.

The exception is the UK - which has a different 3 pin socket, and 240v. If you visit the UK (inc. Scotland) you can either get a separate US->UK adapter, or just pick up a cheap "shaver adapter" when you're here (they're about $3) and use that to plug in your EU adapter. Both ways will work fine. Most hotels will have adapters you can use if required.

SIMs:

You *can* get a separate SIM for each country, but it's probably not worth it. Check what WiFi is available, and whether you can use Skype. If you do get a local SIM, setup a local skype-in number, so you only get charged for local calls.

There are also services such as http://www.travelsim.com/ - which offer rates which are more expensive than local sims, but cheaper than regular roaming rates, if you don't want to mess around buying multiple SIMs.

Also - check your phone is unlocked ;).

Credit Cards:

The no-fee credit card may seem like a good idea, but they make up for no fees by giving incredibly crap interest rates. You will more often than not be better off getting cash before you go, and getting rid of your left over euros before you head back to the states (so you can sell it at the buying rate ;)).

Whatever you do, don't use your credit card in an ATM - that will occur fees and interest (even if your card is interest free). If you need to draw cash here, use a debit card. Even better, buying currency from a bureau de change will work out cheaper, as they can do your debit card transaction in dollars.

Also, avoid those "travel money cards" or "currency cards" - they're normally pre-paid mastercards, but from experience they are a right pain. I had one in the states and it decided to not work, meaning I had to call the company, and get them to send me the money to a western union joint. Not fun.

Rule of thumb - when travelling, cash is king ;).

Edit: one more tip.

Three UK - http://www.three.co.uk - offer what they call "feel at home" - which means you can roam in most countries in Europe (and the US) for the same cost as calling locally. This works on pay as you go, but you have to have been a customer for at least 30 days before you can use it.

The trick:

- Order a free SIM to be delivered in the UK (one of us could do that) and send it to you if required at least 30 days before you go (ideally a bit more)

- Call the sim every so often to keep it alive.

- After 30 days, call Three to activate feel at home.

- Before you go, top up