Scarlett Johansson will star in the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie

For not being a good actress she has a boatload of nominations and awards worldwide, including a Broadway Tony for A View from the Bridge. She's also up for a Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Actress in an Action Movie in Lucy and won a Best Actress BAFTA for Lost in Translation. Her performance in The Prestiege was also very good.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Scarlett_Johansson

Meh awards always seem rigged to me anyways...

She was freaky in under the skin, perhaps because all she had to do was walk around and say nothing :laugh:

• Like 1

To be honest i have been excited for the live action film for a long time now (they bought the rights to the film over 10 years ago) I am still a bit afraid now that Avi is involved in it but here is hoping they do better than GITS: Arise.

To be honest i have been excited for the live action film for a long time now (they bought the rights to the film over 10 years ago) I am still a bit afraid now that Avi is involved in it but here is hoping they do better than GITS: Arise.

What's wrong with Arise ? I've only seen the first 2 or 3 episodes that where available on netflix a while back and I thought it was pretty good. need to see if they have more episodes available yet. 

What's wrong with Arise ? I've only seen the first 2 or 3 episodes that where available on netflix a while back and I thought it was pretty good. need to see if they have more episodes available yet. 

There's 4 total, and I donno what he's on about. Arise was amazing. IMHO it was far better than the original movie, or SAC.

Also, I'll be fair, Scarlett isn't a bad actress. She just keeps getting cast as, well, almost the same character. In most movies. Different revealing clothes, but end of the day the same attitude. Not saying she's the best choice, but I can see her pulling it off. And for SURE I can think of a lot worse people that could have been cast.

• 1 year later...

laughingman.jpg

http://www.superherohype.com/news/364723-michael-pitt-boards-ghost-in-the-shell#mpo0c6FrUgxUxtp9.99

Michael Pitt will play The Laughing Man in the Ghost in the Shell movie

Michael Pitt (Hannibal, Boardwalk Empire) has, according to a story today at The Hollywood Reporter, joined the cast of the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie opposite Scarlett Johansson. According to the trade, Michael Pitt will play the hacker villain known as The Laughing Man.

The Laughing Man, who made his debut on the series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, is an expert hacker famous for using his expert skills to remove his face from all digital images, including peoples’ cybernetic eyes. Instead, he replaces his visage with his animated logo (pictured above) and circling text that reads, “I thought what I’d do was, I’d pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes,” quoting J.D. Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye.

Announced last year, the Ghost in the Shell movie is set to be directed by Snow White and the Huntsman‘s Rupert Sanders from a screenplay adapted by Straight Outta Compton‘s Jonathan Herman, who took over from previous writers Jamie Moss and William Wheeler.

The new Ghost in the Shell movie will offer a live-action adaptation of Masamune Shirow’s iconic cyberpunk manga series about the members of a covert ops unit that take on technology-related crime. “Ghost in the Shell” was famously adapted into an animated feature in 1995.

Produced by Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul, the Ghost in the Shell movie also has the backing of Steven Spielberg. The rights to Shirow’s original manga were picked up several years ago with plans to use the latest 3D technology to film it. In Japan, the huge success of the original “Ghost in the Shell” comics have led to a number of anime film adaptations, a TV series and a series of video games.
>

Yeah. This part:

The new Ghost in the Shell movie will offer a live-action adaptation of Masamune Shirow’s iconic cyberpunk manga series about the members of a covert ops unit that take on technology-related crime. 

Kind of makes me feel like they won't explore any of the deeper aspects of Ghost in the Shell.

I have high hopes but at the same time after seeing Lucy i have a feeling they are going to flub it up and make it about ScarJoes sexuality rather than the Major not caring about her body.

18 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Yeah. This part:

The new Ghost in the Shell movie will offer a live-action adaptation of Masamune Shirow’s iconic cyberpunk manga series about the members of a covert ops unit that take on technology-related crime. 

Kind of makes me feel like they won't explore any of the deeper aspects of Ghost in the Shell.

The second animated movie explored the deeper aspects of it and it was meh.  There's deep and then too deep that you drown in your own psychobable. 

• 2 months later...

Oh dear God, first they ruin GhostBusters, now Ghost in the Shell. what's next in hollywoods sights, am dreading to think. :(

On 14/04/2016 at 3:00 AM, DocM said:

First image

scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell.jp

Quick edit in Photoshop to add more purple and brown eyes.

Motoko-Fixed.png

Scirwode

yeah the image does not give anything special other than a quick look at her appearance. which is not special. lets just hope they keep with her wearing the unitard under the jacket :p

5 minutes ago, Geoffrey B. said:

yeah the image does not give anything special other than a quick look at her appearance. which is not special. lets just hope they keep with her wearing the unitard under the jacket :p

Unitard? She had to be naked for her camouflage to work. :p

I dread this. Anime just do not work as live action movies. Plots are too complex for 120 mins and the costumes, production design...look goofy instead of convincing.

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Unitard? She had to be naked for her camouflage to work. :p

Not in the later tv series, which I bet they'll go with since scarjo doesn't like to get nude for us.

I have nothing against Johansson, but why couldn't they get a Japanese actress for the role? I bet they move the whole damned thing to New York or something...

Still, I happen to be friends with someone who's sibling was offered a role in this, and they've read the script.  They weren't allowed to reveal any details, but they DID say the script was "quite good".  However, he cannot stand the director so has little hope the good script will survive. :p

9 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I have nothing against Johansson, but why couldn't they get a Japanese actress for the role? I bet they move the whole damned thing to New York or something...

Still, I happen to be friends with someone who's sibling was offered a role in this, and they've read the script.  They weren't allowed to reveal any details, but they DID say the script was "quite good".  However, he cannot stand the director so has little hope the good script will survive. :p

I could be wrong but I seem to remember it'll be set in NY, and that they come over from Tokyo to work a case probably.   Besides, the Major never looked Japanese to me, maybe that's because anime/manga characters don't tend to look like anything other than anime/manga characters.    And anyways, it's GitS, the Major jumps between bodies anytime she feels like it, having her be a dude wouldn't be a surprise in the movie.   I mean the whole idea with Ghosts and the way GitS works is that people have been modifying and swapping their bodies as they see fit, brave new world man.

I'm not concerned who plays who in the movie I'm more concerned about if it's going to be good or not, no matter who is in it.

All these people on the Internets complaining about white washing. Geez. It's a hollywood movie and Scarlett is a big name that will sell tickets. What do they expect?

It's especially annoying when these are the same people who probably wanted a black James bond or are completely ignoring the fact that Roland in the new Dark Tower movie is going to be played by a black (Idris Elba, ironically) guy when he's supposed to be a white guy.

FWIW I think Idris will make a good Roland but there are some parts of the story that do have to do with race and civil rights movements so I'm not sure how that's going to work.

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

It's especially annoying when these are the same people who probably wanted a black James bond or are completely ignoring the fact that Roland in the new Dark Tower movie is going to be played by a black (Idris Elba, ironically) guy when he's supposed to be a white guy.

You'll never hear that kind of PC garbage from me. Characters should be portrayed by people of the ethnicity the character is MEANT to be.

Otherwise you'll end up with things like Harry Potter's Hagrid being played by a 3 foot tall female midget...