New build, new problem - Random crashes

So I got my new build up and running about a 3 weeks ago and have since been having a REALLY annoying system crash. It seems random and I have searched the web and tried various suggestions but to no avail.

On 18th December I finished the build with a few minor hiccups along the way which were sorted at the time (courtesy of Neowin!)

Having a look at the event log, it seems the first crash happened the day after I finished the build but I don't consciously remember it so may have happened while I was away from the machine. The machine has been booted up most, if not every day since the build, so according to the event log ad about a week without a crash early on. I have included a SS of the Event Log showing the dates / times of the crash. It is Event ID 41, Task Category 63 - Kernel Power. A bit of Googling suggested it is most likely PSU / BIOS related. I have checked all PSU connections and had a look through the BIOS and disabled any power saving features. 

I was using my PC all last night from around 7PM to 1AM with no problems whatsoever, but today I fired it up and it crashed within minutes. The most annoying thing is the process I have to go through to get the PC back on. Once it has its "crash" it sounds (from the fans) as if it is continuously rebooting approx. every second. I also monitored the MBs onboard error code LCD which seemed to keep repeating the same codes over and over (never seemed to stick on any particualr code though). Because of this, I can't even get into the BIOS to check things over. I still haven't managed to 100% work out how I actually get the PC back on. It seems to be a mixture of CMOS reset (button on rear of MB), disconnecting PSU from wall socket and turning the PC off for a few minutes and then back on again. I kept the PC in BIOS for probably 10 mins just now (after a crash) and monitored temps / voltages from PSU and all seemed good. 

Spec is;

ASUS Maximus VII Formula

i3 4130

Corsair Dominator 8GB 1866Mhz (running at 1333MHz)

Corsair RM550

post-47587-0-27642700-1420487061.jpg

You sure the PSU isn't shorting out?

Don't think so. Have checked all cables and all seems ok. Will have another check for what its worth though.

Components could be faulty from the get go. It happens. Maybe your PSU was just bad from day one.

Test the system with another one.

Could be. Proper ballache to try a dirrerent one but don't see many other options at this point!

thermal shutdown possibly.  It is a common occurrence that I have seen with new builds. 

I thought this at first but kept a keen eye on temps and there are no excessive temps that I can see.

I know its been a while but I have been busy with Uni work and home renovations!

I still haven't got to the bottom of this. Since the last postings I have tried a known working PSU, same problem. Tried removing graphics card and running using the onboard graphics., same problem. Tried running a memtest about an hour ago and it wouldn't finish the test without rebooting and getting stuck in a boot-loop. Have since disconnected my optical drive (the cable was getting in the way when I was poking around inside) and am now 50% through a memtest. Oh yeah, have also updated the BIOS to latest.

I have read so many threads on this error and it seems there is no definitive cause / solution to the error. Everyone I have read about seem to have found a different solution specific to their setup. It is infuriating!

It can be anything, from a bad BIOS, to a DOA component or "just" a temporary electrical defect in one of them.

I've seen some weird stuff, like a Samsung monitor producing noise on one of the GND pins of its DVI interface, which would prevent a machine from rebooting but wouldn't be a problem if it was a cold boot (cold boot, the monitor would be powered up after the MB bios had time to initialise)