PS4 sales top 18.5 million worldwide

PS4 sales top 18.5 million worldwide

Tuesday, 6th January 2015 00:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PS4 is creeping ever closer to 20 million sales, with another significant milestone under its belt.

ps4_glacier_white1.jpg

Sony has announced that PS4 sales topped 18.5 million worldwide as of January 4.

According to a PlayStation Japan announcement translated by Gematsu, Sony shifted 4.1 million units over the 2014 holidays. The figures seems to refer to sell-through (purchased by consumers) rather than sell-in (shipped to retailers).

PlayStation Plus subscriptions now stand at 10.9 million, Sony also announced.

Moving forward, Sony highlighted the console

The PS+ figure is surprisingly low to me, considering you need it to play online on PS4. And I'm guessing that includes PS3 and PS Vita subscribers too, like me.

The PS+ figure is surprisingly low to me, considering you need it to play online on PS4. And I'm guessing that includes PS3 and PS Vita subscribers too, like me.

Online play isn't that important to lots of people. I used to only play online games on the PC. PS4 is the first console I've constantly held a subscription for and play online games on. Once I find a mouse and keyboard controller that functions well on the PS4 I'll probably cut out PC gaming all together.

Online play isn't that important to lots of people. I used to only play online games on the PC. PS4 is the first console I've constantly held a subscription for and play online games on. Once I find a mouse and keyboard controller that functions well on the PS4 I'll probably cut out PC gaming all together.

Have you tried the CronusMAX? That should do the job, although you'll need a PC of some kind nearby in order to use keyboard and mouse with it.

Have you tried the CronusMAX? That should do the job, although you'll need a PC of some kind nearby in order to use keyboard and mouse with it.

Looks good but I just bought the XIM4 http://www.xim4.com today, it should arrive in the next few days.

XIM4 has good reviews on youtube and doesn't require a PC nearby (You can tune the sensitivity/etc profile settings via an app on a smartphone).

Hopefully its turns out okay, if not I'll re-sell it as it sells for $50 more here in Australia than what it cost me to ship it from the US and then get the CronisMAX or maybe VenomX.

PS+ subscribers are > 50% of total console sales.  They may very well exceed all Xbox One sales.  That seems really good to me.

PS+ wasn't a no brainer like Xbox Gold.  I had the PS3 and Vita since launch and never got PS+ until I bought my PS4.    I personally HATE online games, the only reason I keep PS+ is because getting 6 free games each month and the discounted store prices has now become worth it to me.  (they've given me some pretty nice AAA PS3 titles that I missed that are well worth the $50/year price)

PS+ subscribers are > 50% of total console sales.  They may very well exceed all Xbox One sales.  That seems really good to me.

PS+ wasn't a no brainer like Xbox Gold.  I had the PS3 and Vita since launch and never got PS+ until I bought my PS4.    I personally HATE online games, the only reason I keep PS+ is because getting 6 free games each month and the discounted store prices has now become worth it to me.  (they've given me some pretty nice AAA PS3 titles that I missed that are well worth the $50/year price)

Yeah they are really strong numbers. You also have to remember than PSN eclipsed total member numbers of XBL some years ago (110 vs 48 million).

PS+ was only introduced in 2010 and has grown to the number it has in a very short amount of time. As more people buy PS4 and pay for MP, the number is going to boom :yes:

Great numbers. I can't imagine what they will hit once the big exclusives start to roll in.

I guess at some point the numbers will flatten out, but they have a huge start to lean on.

Yeah they are really strong numbers. You also have to remember than PSN eclipsed total member numbers of XBL some years ago (110 vs 48 million).

That's incredible since you didn't need PSN for anything in the PS3/Vita era. I would have thought XBL would have beat PSN until this generation since you needed gold for the browser, streaming services, and online play on the 360 (a situation they have thankfully removed since the Xbox One launch). The point I was trying to make though is I find it interesting that PS+ subscribers may exceed total Xbox One hardware sales (not XBL subscriptions). So more people may be subscribed to PS+ than bought an Xbox One no matter if they got XBL Gold or not. That's crazy to me.

That's incredible since you didn't need PSN for anything in the PS3/Vita era. I would have thought XBL would have beat PSN until this generation since you needed gold for the browser, streaming services, and online play on the 360 (a situation they have thankfully removed since the Xbox One launch). The point I was trying to make though is I find it interesting that PS+ subscribers may exceed total Xbox One hardware sales (not XBL subscriptions). So more people may be subscribed to PS+ than bought an Xbox One no matter if they got XBL Gold or not. That's crazy to me.

It doesn't pay to underestimate the playstation brand lol.

I wonder how many of those PSN accounts were multiple accounts for the same people (I've heard of people on this very board with Japanese, US, and European accounts in order to get access to the games that weren't released on all territories).

Or multiple accounts for sharing (I had a secondary account I used briefly for gamesharing with other neowin members).

I wonder how many of those PSN accounts were multiple accounts for the same people (I've heard of people on this very board with Japanese, US, and European accounts in order to get access to the games that weren't released on all territories).

Or multiple accounts for sharing (I had a secondary account I used briefly for gamesharing with other neowin members).

I think they forget that the official Playstation forums are "PSN Accounts" too. Anyone posting on the forum (millions) contribute to that number including their duplicate accounts.