Windows Server 2012 R2 DC Edition UEFI Install - Nightmare?

Why bother splitting a WIM when you can use a dual layer DVD-R. Problem solved.

That is an excellent question. When you work in an environment that says "install this server by the end of the day," but you aren't allowed to buy anything yourself, and your supply chain is slower than your need. Also, I thought this thread was needing a little bit more info so people in the future can find solutions in a pinch.

• 2 months later...

The issue with booting from NTFS is due to newer systems using UEFI to boot instead of BIOS. Therefore install media needs to be FAT32. Problem is install.wim for Windows Server is over 4GB and therefore over FAT32 size limit. This is an issue with the new Win Server 2016 iso as well.

My solution is to use 2 thumb drives to install. I have a small FAT32 formatted WinPE drive. I prepare the second drive as NTFS formatted, I mount the Windows Server iso and copy these to the NTFS drive.

I boot to my WinPE (or Rufus) drive and then at the command window I run diskpart and the command "list vol" to show me where the NTFS drive is located.

I cd to NTFS drive and then launch the Windows Server setup.exe and install as normal.

If you run into an issue where it does not like your pre-formatted HDD/SDD you are installing to. It is probably pre-formatted as an MBR disk. UEFI installs need a GPT formatted disk.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2015 at 7:16 AM, AlwaysLearning said:

I'm posting this here hoping that this helps someone else... We spent a couple of days in VirtualBox, vSphere and a couple of test machines trying to get this right before installing Windows Server 2012 R2 across a pool of ProLiant servers that included both BIOS and UEFI firmware. Disturbingly all of the annoyances came from the UEFI servers, such as not being able to boot NTFS over USB!

As with a couple of people here the .iso we downloaded from the MSDN Subscription Portal (en_windows_server_2012_r2_with_update_x64_dvd_6052708.iso @ 5.02 GB), was too big for single layer DVD media  plus we had the added complications of wanting to add an AutoUnattend.xml file (which only works from optical media or USB flash keys) as well as drivers for the storage controllers and NICs.

The solution for us was to create a 2 x 4.7 GB DVD installation using the following procedure:

1. The DISM and OSCDIMG tools are required, so download and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Update to a technician computer, http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=39982
  2. .. 
    <cut>

I'd just like to thank @AlwaysLearning as well as others that contributed, and would like to make others life easier just a little bit further.

Instead of downloading whole toolkit in step #1, go here and get this small tool that downloads just the tools (DISM and OSCDIMG among others)

so instead of step 1. do

1a: go here and download " GetWaikTools.zip " from post #1 - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156869-get-waik-tools-wo-downloading-the-huge-isos/?page=1
(this link always links to latest version)

1b: run the tool GetWaikTools.exe
1c: check EVERYTHING and click Download - it's still just <10MB download

1d: you'll get all tools in folder like: \GetWaikTools\ADK_6\... subfolders amd64 and x86 with further subfolders BCDBoot + DISM + Oscdimg 

continue as AlwaysLearning already wrote so well, or use the modification with USB drive that @trZone described.

P.S. I agree that registration is overly complicated, I was waiting 10+ minutes just for confirmation email, despite using the "Google+" account, wtf.. if I have G+ I have valid email :p