Possible Infection-Mom's PC

Hi All

Keeps showing the same file constantly in the task manager, can't do anything, can't update Antivirus or run a scan.    Antivirus Norton Antivirus Security Suite from Comcast,  (same program on most of the house hold PC's now)   File name is akbavny.exe (google chrome it says next to it)

I got infected with a pretty bad virus.. I'm just going to wipe and reinstall.. I don't know what all the damage it really impacted.. Sometimes it's best..

most of the time that is best.  I have a computer where the user does not have the install to his program (several years old, misplaced the install package, can't find it online) so it needs to be cleaned up...wipe and reinstall will render this computer near useless to them.

Yeah i'm just gonna clean wipe it, as 6 Trojans found with malwarebytes found so far, gonna get the files together and get it done

Well latest scans show clean in Safe mode and regular mode, had to reinstall Norton Security Suite though from Comcast, and it seems to be clean now, I think will do one more scan with Norton after live updating it all

Run a few malware scanners.  Just one wont do it.  Also, if you can, remove the HD, slave it to another system, and run the scan.  If the malware is in memory and/or running...sometimes scanners will not pick it up.

Superantispyware is a good free scanner as well.

Yeah i'm just gonna clean wipe it, as 6 Trojans found with malwarebytes found so far, gonna get the files together and get it done

Honestly, if a system is pretty bad infected - sometimes it is better to back up your important stuff -  nuke it from orbit and reload.

Look at it this way - lets say you get all the infections removed - how stable will it really be ?  Do you trust it ?

Its like if you patched up a soldier that was badly injured - do you just let him back in action ?  How well will he really be ?

Just get a new soldier - and move on. ;)

Honestly don't trust it after that bad of infection, am in process of backing up important stuff currently, got drivers on this PC, had no room to slave it in this one and scan with this system.     Ran several scans so far, I didn't stop at just one, I still got another one going.    Family says don't know how the infection happened at all, i'm like well had to click on something.        In the end i'm still gonna do a nice clean install on it, reinstall main OS, drivers, Windows updates and such.