Want to try Linux again; what distro should I check out?

You mention how crap Linux looks but that is all down to the distro and the user

Take my desktop for example

this was a default install and i then changed the wallpaper

post-229387-0-75143000-1419192823.png

What the difference between this and window? (apart from some slight different icons and instead of START it says Menu?)

consistency with every other installed version of linux out there.

my comments were almost mostly limited to suse as far as looks. it does look like Windows XP and BeOS had a bastard child.

consistency with every other installed version of linux out there.

my comments were almost mostly limited to suse as far as looks. it does look like Windows XP and BeOS had a bastard child.

it does if you post a screenshot from 2007

this for example is a recent one

opensuse_13_1_yast_panel.jpg

• Like 1

it does if you post a screenshot from 2007

this for example is a recent one

opensuse_13_1_yast_panel.jpg

so much functionality out of the box? Yup thats Opensuse for ja. Great distro.

I have to ask, does openSUSE have that annoying bug about no sound after suspend/sleep, like elementaryOS (and Ubuntu, I guess)? It drives me crazy, I have to reboot to get sound back! :angry:

If you're new to Linux and solely interested in KDE, then probably Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca KDE Edition, Kubuntu, or SuSE are the main ones. However, I wouldn't recommend limiting yourself to one DE (desktop environment). GNU/Linux is all about trying new things out, including different environments. XFCE, MATE, LXDE, Cinnamon, Gnome3, Unity, Elightenment, Fluxbox, give them all a try and see which ones you like :) There are even tiled Window managers like Awesome and retro ones like WindowMaker. My advice would be to try as many as possible.

Ok, I just decided to try openSUSE 13.2 on a notebook, just to see if there's a distro that could get me away from eOS. Right from the installer, I had problems. At the hardware detection part, my wireless card "needed" editing (it's a Intel 3945ABG), but after clicking on that Edit link, I got some error and that was it, I had to reboot, the installation wouldn't go any further. I said ok, I'll just skip that part and see what happens. After everything was done, I restarted and got to the KDE desktop. And oh boy, what a mess compared to the clean interface of eOS... The start menu with a LOT of sections/icons/shortcuts/whatever was the last thing I wanted to see. Anyway, I went ahead to update the thing via Yast. No problem, except that it froze at about 30%, while downloading (or installing) some libre office thing. Force quit and then something else got my attention: KDE 5. Ok, let's try installing that. There were 2 zypper command lines for the repos, no problem there, and the "official" docs saying that, on openSUSE 13.2, I only need plasmasession (or something like that) to select. Ok, done that, rebooted, and then I was greeted by a "beautiful" Icewm desktop. Selecting KDE 5 or even KDE 4 got me a "kdeinit" error, so that was it. Next step? elementary OS, running as we speak. And no way in hell I'll ever go back.

P.S. I'm not trying to bash other distros in favor of eOS, please don't think that. I'm only saying that, for me, this experience was a dissaster compared to what I had before.

I can strongly recommend Kubuntu, which comes with the very intuitive Kde desktop. As a Windows 7 user, you'll find yourself right at home.
I'm using it since a few years already after having used some other distros before it, and it's working great for me :D
I wouldn't want to miss it anymore.
Plus, it has an abundant amount of relatively current software in its repositories. Even if you shouldn't find some software there (or it's not current enough), you can look at the immense Launchpad repositories.

Kubuntu is also highly customizable and theme-able, see my desktop for example:
Kubuntu 14.04 x64 with Kde 4.14.2, Lancelot start menu, Cairo dock and System monitor widget. (Click for big image)

pzpEVDU8.jpg

You can either use Kubuntu 14.04 with Long-term support (Direct download) or the more modern 14.10 (Direct download).

Fedora. Although some people say it is a clunky enterprise OS, they have refocused it to be modern in Fedora 21 with the workstation version.
Here is the KDE version: https://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/

Other suggestions would be Debian, and OpenSUSE.

I would stay away from Ubuntu, though. They have done some weird/privacy compromising things (which has been discussed further here) in the past, and not to mention that it is maintained by a private corporation.

That's exclusively the case with Ubuntu itself, i.e. the Gnome 3 version. Never mattered to me, as I think Gnome 3 is disgusting (copied too much crap from Windows 8).
There's nothing of the sort going on with Kubuntu, the Kde version.

That's exclusively the case with Ubuntu itself, i.e. the Gnome 3 version. Never mattered to me, as I think Gnome 3 is disgusting (copied too much crap from Windows 8).

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, I get a nosebleed every time I fiddle with it, but Gnome 3 was released a year before 8.. that's all on them. Unity, 2 years before. Microsoft didn't invent the brain dead launcher, they just refined it to an art.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, I get a nosebleed every time I fiddle with it, but Gnome 3 was released a year before 8.. that's all on them. Unity, 2 years before. Microsoft didn't invent the brain dead launcher, they just refined it to an art.

Ah, I see... so MS aren't the only ones with terrible UI ideas. Not that it surprises me with the Gnome folks, mind you.

Ah, I see... so MS aren't the only ones with terrible UI ideas.

Yes, unfortunately, the race to make DE's tablet friendly has done more harm than good. I used to be a die hard Gnome fan in the 2.x days. I tried to like Gnome3, but it just never clicked for me. XFCE became my new home and I haven't looked back since.

Seeing as I dislike Ubuntu as I feel its trying to be the Windows of the Linux world, I would say either Arch or Debian, I am thinking of going down that road soon, Debian for server, Arch for everything else, then again I might just go Debian for everything, although I did see that Linux Mint has a Debian version, I might give that a try :)