Advice me: Modded old pc games worth playing

I am really looking for a great pc games of the last 2 decades, that are worth replaying, and have mods to make them look a little better and also to run on Windows 8.1

Games that made the top 200 best pc games ever made.  "Must play" type of game.

However a mod to make it look at least a bit better and run fine on 1080p monitor in Windows 8.1 is a must.

I played a lot of them, but looking at "top 100" "top 200" "top 50" PC games,  i have actually missed quite a few gems (like RPGs, since I ignored the genre mostly, with the few expections)

i mostly like Adventure, FPS, Action, RPG, puzzle, fighting, etc....

i dislike Simulation, Strategy, MMOanything (however, i did love red alert, C&C, original Warcrafts, Sim City - brilliant fun....   but i did not like civilization or most of the others)

single player only, no online stuff.  2 people at same computer is great, on other hand.

the game have to be not overly complicated, i don't want to spend 20 hours just learning how to play!

you know, something i can enjoy over the course of up to 20-30 hours to finish.... no longer.

thoughts?

Planescape: Torment.

If you don't play it, do the world a favour and get up, go to the toilet, put your head in and drown yourself. :p

Also, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, featuring REAL vampires (yep, I said that).

and the one i played the hell out of :)     and replayed many many times.

It, and the classic 90s DOOMs were about the only FPS games that held my interest enough to replay. Heck, I've bought DOOM on every platform I could, even the Gameboy Advance!

Two FPS Games 

Stalker - Lost Alpha - http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Black Mesa -  http://www.blackmesasource.com/

played both of them in the last year.    great fun,

though i love stalker games and have a whole modded collection, they crash too much on my PC, after trying EVERYTHING to fix it.    

i did not play the lost alpha,  i don't expect it to be working more reliably then complete releases.

black mesa was great too, since i missed out on the original half-life and only got into it at HL2 (only because my older brother told me he hated it... )

If you don't play it, do the world a favour and get up, go to the toilet, put your head in and drown yourself. :p

Also, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, featuring REAL vampires (yep, I said that).

yes, missed both of those.    hopefully they are playable, and i will play them both, as they seem to be held in such high esteem by PC players

going to GOG to get them i guess?

Have you played the Ultima games?

Some of them have mods, some of them have fan remakes. The originals are still enjoyable though.

no, i have not.  the look is super dated.... i am not sure i will get into the old ones... :(

Halflife 1 was revolutionary to say the least. It upped the ante on 3d shooters.

Halflife 2 wasn't bad. improved the graphics a ton and continuing the storyline from HL1.

shooters? Ghost recon 1 w/ desert siege and island thunder. a true open, squad tactical shooter.

RPG's? Diablo 1. I've heard DiabloII stunk the house up. people having all sorts of issues with it. Diablo 1 FTW!

The wife enjoys the Sims series. Not my genre of games. I'm more into older military sims myself.

GRAW/GRAW2. though GRAW 1 I think edges out 2 by a slim margin. GRAW came out circa 2006, 2 about a year or so later?

yes, missed both of those.    hopefully they are playable, and i will play them both, as they seem to be held in such high esteem by PC players

no, i have not.  the look is super dated.... i am not sure i will get into the old ones... :(

Ultima 9 then.. it was a 3d 3rd person RPG.

11-ultima9.jpg

• Like 1

Ultima 9 then.. it was a 3d 3rd person RPG.

I really wouldn't suggest Ultima 9 as representative of the series in any way, personally :> Besides I actually think the isometric games look better, U9 was early 3D tech...  a lot of funky textures and very polygonal.

• Like 1

I really wouldn't suggest Ultima 9 as representative of the series in any way, personally :> Besides I actually think the isometric games look better, U9 was early 3D tech...  a lot of funky textures and very polygonal.

well yeah, true. but we're talking about old games. I think old games are 6 years or older.

I would still recommend U7 over U9.. I like the earlier games too, but I understand the hesitancy over the graphics. U7,

ultima7_05.gif

Also, U5 has a 3D fan remake in the Dungeon Siege engine called Ultima V: Lazarus. I haven't played it so I can't attest for the quality though.

• Like 1

Baldur's Gate 1 Enhanced Edition
Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition

They did not upgrade the gfx but both run very well in 1080p. Both games are still awesome. I just replayed Baldur's Gate 1 and i expected to not like it as much as 15 years ago but wow it's still better than 100% of the new games released.

Sanitarium is still one of the best point and click adventure game ever made. Sadly no remastered/enhanced edition exist but it's still playable and it's still a great game despite of the old gfx.

Maybe the remake aniversary edition of Gabriel Knight. I've not played it and i heard mixed opinions about it but the original game was awesome so even if the remake is just 50% of what the original was it's worth playing.

• Like 1

Baldur's Gate 1 Enhanced Edition

Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition

They did not upgrade the gfx but both run very well in 1080p. Both games are still awesome. I just replayed Baldur's Gate 1 and i expected to not like it as much as 15 years ago but wow it's still better than 100% of the new games released.

Sanitarium is still one of the best point and click adventure game ever made. Sadly no remastered/enhanced edition exist but it's still playable and it's still a great game despite of the old gfx.

Maybe the remake aniversary edition of Gabriel Knight. I've not played it and i heard mixed opinions about it but the original game was awesome so even if the remake is just 50% of what the original was it's worth playing.

yeah, i never played Baldur's gate either.  the only one i played and loved was Neverinter Nights. 

As for Gabriel Knight, i watched remake on youtube, and i dislike the accents and setting... not my style. one of the few highly praised Adventure franchises that just does not resonate with me whatsoever.

ok, bought the planescape...   i hope it is good as people are saying.

i also marked it best answer, since it seems to be HIGHLY recommended everywhere online.  i hope i like it.

please do keep suggestions coming :)

Two FPS Games 

Stalker - Lost Alpha - http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Wow thanks, for that. I love the STALKER games, just finished playing all three a few months ago again and finally got the whole plot line straight.

I knew there was unfinished work but didn't know someone saw it through. Will definitely give this a try.

played both of them in the last year.    great fun,

though i love stalker games and have a whole modded collection, they crash too much on my PC, after trying EVERYTHING to fix it.    

That's a shame, I've played with minimal issues on several occasions and computers with the unofficial patches installed.

Sanitarium is still one of the best point and click adventure game ever made.

I have to play that one at some point. Sitting in my backlog, keeps getting pushed aside by other stuff.

please do keep suggestions coming :)

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is in my opinion the best game ever made about vampires. It is not only about them, but their hidden society, their politics, the conflicts between different clans of vampires... It has multiple vastly different endings, as choices made during gameplay REALLY matter. It is considered by many to be the best game ever made that didn't get much financial success on launch. You need the unofficial patch. 9.2 seems to be the newest version. http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647

For Planescape: Torment, you need 3-5 mods. Install in the following order: you need the widescreen mod: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?s=d5d24e9c1bd94b26d378852bf35c9c77&app=downloads&showfile=896, the UI mod: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/683-ghostdogs-pst-ui-mod-v22/, the fixpack: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/647-pst-ultimate-weidu-fixpack-v413/, unfinished business: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/648-pst-unfinished-business-v412/, and the tweakpack: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/649-qwinns-pst-tweak-pack-v412/

Planescape: Torment has one of the best stories ever told, across all forms of expression, according to many people. It, however, is rather old in terms of game mechanics, and requires A LOT of reading in order to understand what is happening and why things are the way they are. The writing is a downright masterpiece, and reading everything is completely worth the time. Choices here matter a lot as well. I think I spent about 10 hours in the first few floors of the first area in PS:T, just talking to everybody, exploring everything, and just being amazed by everything.

yeah, i never played Baldur's gate either.  the only one i played and loved was Neverinter Nights. 

Then you will most likely love PS:T as it is somewhat similar.

Surprised nobody has said it yet. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It is a pretty old game but has a ton of great mods to improve the graphical fidelity.

I actually just started playing it again, with a mostly mage character (I almost always play thief/warrior types in RPG) after hearing more about it, namely with the spell making and enchanting you can do, you can basically become a demigod if you put enough into them. You can virtually fly, incapacitate any enemy permanently, calm enemies to the point you can and talk/trade/train with them (assuming they are merchants or can train you, which some enemy NPCs can). Basically the combat system rework that Skyrim brought to the Elder Scrolls series did for melee combat what the Morrowind magic system does for magical combat (that is, Oblivion and Skyrim is a complete regression on magic compared to Morrowind).

Wasn't planning to in the first place, but due to your fascinating recommendation I will definitely never play it.

Here are some good games that work (some AFTER modding) at 1080p,

1. Sin and Wages of Sin Expansion Pack

2. Gothic II

3. Oni

4. System Shock

5. Unreal Tournament 1999

6. Quake 1

7. Never Winter Nights 1

LSL1 got a remake via Kickstarter, worth looking up if you enjoyed it! (Now on Steam)

QFG2 got a remake, and it's a game I loved! Couple of the other Sierra classics also got remakes as well.

Carmageddon is also getting a remake/upgrade, not out yet though.

For laughs Doom got a new backend making it look much more 3D if you're into that...