The Witcher 3 PC Specs

We're just getting devs off DX9 because consoles now support above DX9.

There was also a lot of pushback from XP not supporting DX10+ for a while.

This gen, DX12 should be on the X1 as well so it will probably gain support fairly quickly.  I just expect some devs to completely ignore its existence for at least three years.

This is absolutely not true DirectX 12 is microsoft answer to Mantle.   Already Unreal 4 takes advantage of directx 12.  The bump from directx 10 to 11 was minor one. Directx12 looks like major release. PC will really benefit more than the consoles (xboxone) will.  

My understanding is that DX12 adds a lower level API that, as you say, is similar in concept to Mantle.  That being the case the DX11 API will likely continue as well for developers who don't want to get their hands dirty at the lower level.  Furthermore from what I've heard most of the performance gains of DX12 revolve around being able to split up jobs and take advantage of multiple CPUs better.  As such beastly gaming PCs don't really get a huge boost from DX12 because their powerful CPUs don't have a problem doing the work even without it being split up.  The PCs that get the great benefit are those with clusters of comparatively weak cores like the AMD APUs.  Where now DX11 and lower don't take good advantage of the multiple cores and instead get bottlenecked on a single weak one with DX12 they'll be able to split the load more effectively across the multiple cores and this leads to large performance gains.  I'm not saying that's the ONLY thing DX12 adds but it's a large part of the performance gains.

There was also a lot of pushback from XP not supporting DX10+ for a while.

This gen, DX12 should be on the X1 as well so it will probably gain support fairly quickly.  I just expect some devs to completely ignore its existence for at least three years.

When DX12 hits X1 I would bet you'd be hard pressed to find a single AAA game that isn't DX12 that releases a year or more after that.  If the consoles support the features they'll be picked up fast by AAA developers.  Now sure you'll find indy devs and edge cases still using DX9 years from now but that's the exception.

My understanding is that DX12 adds a lower level API that, as you say, is similar in concept to Mantle.  That being the case the DX11 API will likely continue as well for developers who don't want to get their hands dirty at the lower level.  Furthermore from what I've heard most of the performance gains of DX12 revolve around being able to split up jobs and take advantage of multiple CPUs better.  As such beastly gaming PCs don't really get a huge boost from DX12 because their powerful CPUs don't have a problem doing the work even without it being split up.  The PCs that get the great benefit are those with clusters of comparatively weak cores like the AMD APUs.  Where now DX11 and lower don't take good advantage of the multiple cores and instead get bottlenecked on a single weak one with DX12 they'll be able to split the load more effectively across the multiple cores and this leads to large performance gains.  I'm not saying that's the ONLY thing DX12 adds but it's a large part of the performance gains.

I'd say DX12 targets the GPU rather then the CPU.  That have been relatively underutilized in modern PC games. I don't know what effect it will have on AMD APU.

I'd say DX12 targets the GPU rather then the CPU.  That have been relatively underutilized in modern PC games. I don't know what effect it will have on AMD APU.

Lets hope a future patch to W3 targets DX12... otherwise discussing it in a Witcher thread is futile.

Lets hope a future patch to W3 targets DX12... otherwise discussing it in a Witcher thread is futile.

Considering Witcher 2 was one of the titles still stuck on DX9 I'd say it's still somewhat relevant to the topic at hand...though true enough, anyway.

Probably a cool thing they have put so much effort into the graphics are targeted such lofty specs, being a kind of open world game and if the graphics turn out to be that good its the sort of game people will fire up again down the track as they get a 4K capable gaming card and monitor etc.