This is Windows 10

How dare they offer choices?

I prefer light themes, but a lot of people prefer dark. Look at any UI modification collection, and a good half are dark themed.

Though it would be nice to be able to just swap out a CSS-like file to adjust the entire system.

I always dreamed of Windows Phone colour enviroment to match the desktop one.

I'm still happy for the changes, atleast we have them. A total overhaul would suprise me a lot!

Well, you're never really going to have a solid look with icons. Many third party apps will never have that parity.

I'm talking about solid as in how icons have looked in Windows Phone, Windows 8 and pretty much all Microsoft sites. They are most often a shape with a solid white fill.

This new Windows 10 style has thin outlined icons, with no fill.

There was nothing wrong with the infographic icon style they used in WP and Win8. Now they have created a new style which in my opinion will not age well.

I don't understand why they don't modernize the format of the time and date display... or at least provide better options. I don't think two lines of small text is really the best it can be..

I think Win10 is looking quite nice! Although I do wonder if "Spartan" will be the actual name, I kind of doubt Microsoft would throw away the "Internet Explorer" name. I guess we'll see.

I'm talking about solid as in how icons have looked in Windows Phone, Windows 8 and pretty much all Microsoft sites. They are most often a shape with a solid white fill.

This new Windows 10 style has thin outlined icons, with no fill.

There was nothing wrong with the infographic icon style they used in WP and Win8. Now they have created a new style which in my opinion will not age well.

People were complaining Windows 8 was too colorful.

People were complaining Windows 8 was too colorful.

People complained Windows 3 was too drab, Windows 3.1 was too colorful, Windows 95 was too drab, Windows XP had a Fisher-Price interface. People are going to complain about anything and everything. People complained about the transparency in Vista, then complained when most of it was removed in Windows 8. Microsoft is never going to make everyone happy and shouldn't try.

• Like 3

People complained Windows 3 was too drab, Windows 3.1 was too colorful, Windows 95 was too drab, Windows XP had a Fisher-Price interface. People are going to complain about anything and everything. People complained about the transparency in Vista, then complained when most of it was removed in Windows 8. Microsoft is never going to make everyone happy and shouldn't try.

That was my point.

No WIndows 8.1 was all white toolbars or baby room pastels. Windows 7 was the best. You could adjust dark to light or even clear and the glass would take the shape of the desktop background. During the Xp era I always put the Windows 2000 look back in as I loved the blue and gray. It was the correct contrast and not too much of either way.

No WIndows 8.1 was all white toolbars or baby room pastels. Windows 7 was the best. You could adjust dark to light or even clear and the glass would take the shape of the desktop background. During the Xp era I always put the Windows 2000 look back in as I loved the blue and gray. It was the correct contrast and not too much of either way.

yet some people complained that vista 7/was too glossy, didn't like aero transparency etc... you can't please everyone, some will like it some won't.

I don't know what MSFT is thinking!

We need more transparency, not less.

Lol nobody "needs" transparency. The taskbar in current Windows 10 builds is transparent, it looks very unclean and make icons harder to see.

I hope with the new Spartan browser we still have the option to run it in full screen mode, like we now have the Metro version of IE.

I really enjoy using this version on my Yoga. It's just smooth and easy. Love it

I don't know what MSFT is thinking!

We need more transparency, not less.

Don't think you really need transparency in a browser. If you did that, it'll be like safari! :x

Can't wait for Jan 21, going to be a very exciting day :D

PmRd, on 10 Jan 2015 - 22:48, said:

Lol nobody "needs" transparency. The taskbar in current Windows 10 builds is transparent, it looks very unclean and make icons harder to see.

No transparency and flat look like something out of Atari or Windows 1.0 which is very dated. MacOSX Yosemite does it right. I miss transparency in Android which 4.2 which was gorgous and made it look modern and a capable phone. as elitist Art professors are teaching UI designers this garbage with no real world UI experience! I will stick with Windows 7 if it has zero.

Emulating low end crappy obsolete computers is weird. If I had a time machine and you showed me that pic in 1995 I would not even believe you were from the future as Windows 95 has better graphics etc.

sinetheo, on 10 Jan 2015 - 23:45, said:

No transparency and flat look like something out of Atari or Windows 1.0 which is very dated. MacOSX Yosemite does it right. I miss transparency in Android which 4.2 which was gorgous and made it look modern and a capable phone. as elitist Art professors are teaching UI designers this garbage with no real world UI experience! I will stick with Windows 7 if it has zero.

Emulating low end crappy obsolete computers is weird. If I had a time machine and you showed me that pic in 1995 I would not even believe you were from the future as Windows 95 has better graphics etc.

Oh and one more thing.

Besides elitist art professors this trend started as a way to go to HTML 5 for websites. Not design operating systems. Since IE 6 compatibility required hacks in flash to add effects it became obvious and unintegrated. With videos curved boxes and other features of a now complete CSS 2.1 and CSS 3 you could make a more integrated feel out of simplicity.

No this does not imply:

1. 2 operating system guis together

2. No colors in Office

3. Emulating early 1980s system

4. Putting freaking 72 point pixel fonts so only 1 or 2 youtube videos show ony my phone

5. using all caps

6. Going white and all 2D

7. Not putting in any animation at all

8. Blending elements and eliminating borders in websites and apps like Outlook 2013. This is confusing for the user

9. Getting rid of buttons on IOS 7. They exist in the real world so therefore bad right??

This has gone too far! This madness needs to stop as oh the horrors of flashy websites of last decade and having leather on an address book now means WE MUST GO BLINDING WHITE ALL CAPS IN MENUS, use 72 point fonts, and make elements difficult to navigate and find due to the elimination of borders. My mom finds IOS 7 too confusing with the bottons gone.

Anyway people here are heralding anti skuemorphism as the 2nd coming of Christ and metro is all so sleek and modern.

I am in favor of a sane design like Office 2010 which eliminated or at least toned down the gradients and deep colors of 2007, but not over board like 2013. MacOSX is more simplistic and flat which I hate but it has some transparency. So it is done right in my book for the user.

... had to say it. End rant

My question is: will this dialogue still be present?:

1iegeneral.jpg

It's been there for over a decade; time for an overhaul (something easier to use/find things through; not just a theme change).

68k, on 10 Jan 2015 - 22:00, said:68k, on 10 Jan 2015 - 22:00, said:

My question is: will this dialogue still be present?:

1iegeneral.jpg

It's been there for over a decade; time for an overhaul (something easier to use/find things through; not just a theme change).

You mean like this? (IE 4)  :laugh:

General.jpg