Divers fight waves to lift tail of AirAsia plane

Divers retrieve 1 AirAsia black box, locate second

Divers had retrieved the flight data recorder of doomed AirAsia Flight 8501 Monday and had located the cockpit voice recorder on the floor of the Java Sea, a vital breakthrough in the investigation into what caused the crash that killed all 162 people on board Dec. 28. 

Suryadi Bambang Supriyadi, the operation coordinator at Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency, announced that the voice recorder, one of the two so-called "black boxes," was located hours after the flight data recorder was brought to the surface. He said the voice recorder was stuck under heavy wreckage and divers were working to free it at a depth of 105 feet.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01/12/divers-retrieve-airasia-flight-8501-data-recorder-locate-voice-recorder/

let me guess, no details will be revealed, just like with ukraine incident. This time however they cant pretedn they never found it, otherwise it would be too suspicious.

I'm fairly sure the pilot tried to climb above the storm, the engines stalled, and they fell to the ocean.

At least this is not a mystery that will drag out.

Hopefully airlines will wake up and get better tracking equipment.

Personally I suspect we will find out it is the same thing which took down AF447. After the root cause was finally found for that crash, the pitot tube's were listed as a mandatory upgrade in the A330/A340 planes. To a design which was less likely to freeze over. However this was a recommended upgrade for the A320s, rather than mandatory.

I'm fairly sure the pilot tried to climb above the storm, the engines stalled, and they fell to the ocean.

At least this is not a mystery that will drag out.

Hopefully airlines will wake up and get better tracking equipment.

Why would the engines stall? Rhetorical question. They wouldn't. The wings would stall before the engines would when climbing at altitude, either through high speed stall or low speed stall (as you would be in coffin corner). The engines would be fine. And weather radar coupled with standard guidelines for thunderstorm avoidance (20nm upwind of (or depending on the situation such as further storms through that flightpath, downwind, but you might want to give more distance), or 5000ft above, the storm) would stop this stuff. For the most part it's a training issue.

Personally I suspect we will find out it is the same thing which took down AF447. After the root cause was finally found for that crash, the pitot tube's were listed as a mandatory upgrade in the A330/A340 planes. To a design which was less likely to freeze over. However this was a recommended upgrade for the A320s, rather than mandatory.

I expect the same thing. I've practised the scenario and it's a confusing situation. The biggest problem was that the junior FO was pulling back on the stick, which the more senior FO and later the captain didn't realise, as unlike the Boeing there is no feedback of what the other person is doing through your own stick. There seem to be a lot of cases where, during a stall, the pilot pulls the stick or control column back in some weird attempt to climb, completely at odds with the correct procedure that even a PPL trainee student would know. If the other pilots had just disconnected the FO's stick they would have been okay. There's further confusion due to the fact that, below a certain speed (~30kts) the stall warner stops as the computers don't have the information necessary to work out what's going on, which apparently happened in the AF447 situation. I can't believe they got into that position in the first place.