Extending Wireless Network Help

Hi all.

We currently have our broadband connected to a Netgear DGND3300.

The wireless strength isn't great in my room and did try before to extend it by connecting a Netgear DG834G to it and using it as a wireless switch, but the wireless didnt work very well, but if i plugged in devices to it, it worked fine.

So now, we are about to upgrade to BT fiber optic broadband, which comes with a BT home hub 5.

Does anyone know if its possible to plug in my current router and use it as a wireless switch? 

Or do I need to buy a new router?

I need extra ports in my room, laptop, ps3,ps4 and pc, plus wifi for my phone & laptop.

Or would it be better to buy a standard switch for all the devices  and plug in a wireless access point into the switch?

Thanks in advanced

Should be able to use the DGND3300 as an access point if you turn off DHCP & assign it a static address. Use a LAN port (not WAN) to connect it to your BT Home Hub (Router) and it will act as a switch / access point type device.

Later models have access point mode but I think the DGND3300 is too old for that feature. The DG834G isn't worth the electricity, recycle it.

If you have a wifi router that supports the wifi you want, then as Aergan already went over can be used as AP and more ports. Any soho router you might have can do this.

Just need to remember to turn off its built in dhcp server, and then connect to it to your network using a lan port vs wan = switch with AP. For ease of use you would want to change its lan IP to be on your current network. But its not really required, you could always wire a box to it with an IP on its network and configure the wifi that way, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for your replies guys.

Could I have a little more help?

I now have BT infinity installed.

When I do a speed test on a computer connected to the bt router with a cable, I get 75mb download.

I've now configured the netgear router, disabled dhcp, and changed the wireless settings so they are exactly the same as the bt settings.

I have the 2 routers connected with a cable.

I can access the internet wirelessly from the netgear router now, but when I do a speed test, I only get 15mb download speed.

If I plug my laptop into the netgear router, and turn off the wireless on my laptop and do a speed test again, it tests upto 75mb again.

Is there a setting in the netgear router affecting the speed of the internet?

Cheers

Well that first one is only a 300+300 router..  So yeah to be honest unlikely would would see 75Mbps down wireless - what is the details of the client?  Are you using 2.4 or 5ghz?  Do you have 40Mhz setup on your 5ghz.  Many clients and or routers don't support 40mhz on 2.4 even.

15 seems right in line with that wireless G router the 834G..  Best you could ever see over G would be like 18to21

Lets say your client is 2x2 stream.. with 2.4 and 20mhz your RAW rate is 144 so /2 to get it real so your close to 70 - but in real world wouldn't think you would see that.  Many clients are 1x1 so your 72/2, minus other overhead, etc..

So is your plan to see 75Mbps over wireless the same you see on wire?  If so a lot of that comes down to your clients and what they support.  But that Wireless G router is not going to get you anywhere close to that.

I was hoping to see 75mb over wireless, but as long as it doesn't lag, I guess it will be fine.

I'm using my old netgear DGND3300 router.

The 834 is packed away somewhere.

I'm using 2.4ghz wifi.

Would 5ghz handle 75mb internet?

Not having the full 75mb over wifi really isn't a problem, I'd be happy with the 15mb download as its really only mobiles, and sometimes my mums kindle when she is in bed that will use it.

Everything else, laptop, ps4 ect will be hardwired into the hub to benefit the full speed.

As long as it doesn't lag like I had before with the 834 and the 3300, it'll be fine.

Cheers for your help :)

Jason

Awhile ago I bought a D-Link AC Wireless Dual Band Range Extender (DAP-1520) and it works awesome.

Just a small box that you plug in to power outlet anywhere in your house.

I just connect to it and now I get full signal everywhere in my house and even outside,

whereas before I didn't get a signal at all in many rooms or outside.

I paid 60 bucks and it was regular almost 90 bucks.

Set up was super easy, push a button on router, push a button on the extender, everything was done automatically.

"push a button on router, push a button on the extender"

Yeah WPS is a horrific protocol with huge amount of security concerns..  That really should be disabled on all devices.  Now that you have it working, I would disable it.

Also wireless extenders are going to give you another /2 for your wireless bandwidth.  Always better to run a wire to your AP.

As to 5ghz being better for bandwidth - yes it can provide more bandwidth using 40mhz, depending on what other wifi in your area that may or may not be a viable option.  But yes 40mhz 2x2 can get you 300..  While 2.4 with 20 can at best get you 144 RAW to work with..  But range is going to be shorter than with 2.4

I get 50ish without much problem with my older ipad on 5ghz with 40..  Since its 1x1 and raw data rate is 135 that is what to be expected..  My internet maxes out at 60 so Im good with it..  With AC I can hit the same speed as my wire at 60..