Need help sharing my internet connection through VPN

Does your router support vpn?  If not what OS are you wanting to run the vpn on?

What I would suggest is get a vps in whatever country you want, they can be had for like $12-15 dollars a year..  Then install openvpn as on it, have your family member connect using that.  This way they don't use your bandwidth, and you don't violate any tos of your isp by sharing your internet, etc..

Does your router support vpn?  If not what OS are you wanting to run the vpn on?

I don't know. It's a D-link DSL-2750U. It has something called "Virtual Server" under the "NAT" section.

I'm running windows 8.1 and the other one is windows 7.

What I would suggest is get a vps in whatever country you want, they can be had for like $12-15 dollars a year..  Then install openvpn as on it, have your family member connect using that.  This way they don't use your bandwidth, and you don't violate any tos of your isp by sharing your internet, etc..

I might do that as a long term solution, but for now I'm ok with sharing my own connection.

I found this brilliant set up guide. Just create a linux box, Ubuntu 14 works perfectly for me. Pass them the generated file, Install OpenVPN and there you go.

Here is the setup guide.

https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

5.99 a YEAR!! I cant vouch for them but its worth a punt at this price.

https://bandwagonhost.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Those solutions cost money, a linux box, a VPS.

This isn't going to be a permanent solution for now. Perhaps 2-3 hours a day and not every day either.

I just want to share my own connection from my current computer and OS.

And what OS is that?  Dude its $6 a YEAR!!!  Why would you want to do it through your own machine?

To be fair $5.99 a year is fairly cheap. One less beer a year. Have you not got a PC your running now you can get VirtualBox or something running and install Ubuntu on that? Then you can fire it up at your leisure. No cost. You are already using the hardware. Linux is free. OpenVPN is free. Your already paying for your broadband. Someone has gone to the time and effort to provide a script to install it for you. I have tried it and it works very well.

Yeah think going to check that out

Micro-128
Self-managed
HDD: 3.0 GB
RAM: 128 MB
CPU: 1x Intel Xeon
BW: 300 GB/mo

Lets see how fast I can get a vpn connection going ;)

And what OS is that?  Dude its $6 a YEAR!!!  Why would you want to do it through your own machine?

Windows 8.1 as mentioned in my second post.

Because I don't have a second machine? I cannot afford another one either.

To be fair $5.99 a year is fairly cheap. One less beer a year. Have you not got a PC your running now you can get VirtualBox or something running and install Ubuntu on that? Then you can fire it up at your leisure. No cost. You are already using the hardware. Linux is free. OpenVPN is free. Your already paying for your broadband. Someone has gone to the time and effort to provide a script to install it for you. I have tried it and it works very well.

I don't care how cheap it is. My computer isn't powerful enough to run a second OS while I do other stuff of my own.

I just want to share my own connection, with my own PC and my current OS. Is there a solution for that?

As I said, it's a temporary solution. It's mostly for testing purposes, to see if they can connect to me or not. I don't want to spend a single cent right now.

Please, will you?

And done..

post-14624-0-10116200-1420997540.png

And that was with changing its OS to ubuntu vs centos ;)

edit "My computer isn't powerful enough to run a second OS while I do other stuff of my own."

Nonsense pure and simple just nonsense..    Was it bought sometime in the last 10 years, it can run windows 8.1 it sure and the HELL can run a virtual box running ubuntu as a vpn server.

Windows 8.1 has built in vpn -- turn it on.. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/set-up-an-incoming-vpn-or-dial-up-connection

edit2: To enable on that vps it was literally 3 commands I had to type

wget http://swupdate.openvpn.org/as/openvpn-as-2.0.11-Ubuntu14.i386.deb

dpkg -i openvpn-as-2.0.11-Ubuntu14.i386.deb

passwd openvpn "set password"

Hit the url it gives out when done, click agree - and then download the config file.  How anyone would not go this route for 6$ is beyond me..  I don't care if you had a gig up and down and vpn concentrator you could setup on it..   There really is no point in using your own connection when your family member can have 24/7 access in less than 10 minutes for 6$ a freaking year ;) hehehe   Thanks for the link +Red

You time used looking up how to enable inbound vpn on 8.1 is more costly than the cost of this vps ;)

Now I have vps in las vegas, new jersey, dallas and florida..  Need one up in like Washington state and got all regions of the US covered ;)

Thanks for your efforts but If you don't want to help me set it up in windows, then why bother replying? I already told you, It's temporary and for testing purposes for now. Why do you insist on paid solutions so much? I don't even have a bank card.

^ Budman and RedReddington have very good skills in this area at helping you in this situation. Please give them some time to help you. You may need to clarify their line of thinking for your particular situation in order for them to give you the best help needed. A little patience while they sort things out goes a long way.

You can with a bit NAT tricky setup a VPN server that L2TP in win 7 pro mostly how to do it can be found here:
http://rotwhiler.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/windows-xp-pro-as-a-l2tp-ipsec-vpn-server/

Win 7 and XP do sharing of the internet differently but for win 7 behind a NAT you setup the VPN IP range somewhere in your NAT router range so if your NAT router is setup with 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 set the VPN range to be 192.168.1.250 - 192.168.1.251 this will make a VPN connecting client use 192.168.1.251 down the VPN tunnel and NAT by your NAT router.

It may be a stupid question but what user name does the service use?

And done..

attachicon.gifconnectednewvpn1.png

And that was with changing its OS to ubuntu vs centos ;)

edit "My computer isn't powerful enough to run a second OS while I do other stuff of my own."

Nonsense pure and simple just nonsense..    Was it bought sometime in the last 10 years, it can run windows 8.1 it sure and the HELL can run a virtual box running ubuntu as a vpn server.

Windows 8.1 has built in vpn -- turn it on.. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/set-up-an-incoming-vpn-or-dial-up-connection

edit2: To enable on that vps it was literally 3 commands I had to type

wget http://swupdate.openvpn.org/as/openvpn-as-2.0.11-Ubuntu14.i386.deb

dpkg -i openvpn-as-2.0.11-Ubuntu14.i386.deb

passwd openvpn "set password"

Hit the url it gives out when done, click agree - and then download the config file.  How anyone would not go this route for 6$ is beyond me..  I don't care if you had a gig up and down and vpn concentrator you could setup on it..   There really is no point in using your own connection when your family member can have 24/7 access in less than 10 minutes for 6$ a freaking year ;) hehehe   Thanks for the link +Red

You time used looking up how to enable inbound vpn on 8.1 is more costly than the cost of this vps ;)

Now I have vps in las vegas, new jersey, dallas and florida..  Need one up in like Washington state and got all regions of the US covered ;)

It may be a stupid question but what user name does the service use?

what service? I am using a openvpn account that was created, to connect.

As to setting it up for windows. I gave you the link already how to enable inbound built in vpn on windows. If you want to install openvpn on windows there are a gazillion guides. Not sure why should reinvent the wheel here?

But to be honest, you have been given the BEST possible solution to your problem at hand. That cost less than 2 cents a day. If you don't want to use that that is on you.

It doesn't use your bandwidth, you don't use your elec, its on 24/7/365 be it your home or not. So while your machine is rebooting because you installed patches its working. You don't have to do anything on your router, it would take you minutes to setup.

Here is another guide for how to setup windows for incoming vpn

http://www.avoiderrors.net/setup-and-access-a-vpn-in-windows-8-1/

But if you don't take the advice given and use a $6 a year solution -- sorry but your NUTS..

But if you don't take the advice given and use a $6 a year solution -- sorry but your NUTS..

Some people want the challenge, be different, have it their way and if you can why not.

what service? I am using a openvpn account that was created, to connect.

As to setting it up for windows. I gave you the link already how to enable inbound built in vpn on windows. If you want to install openvpn on windows there are a gazillion guides. Not sure why should reinvent the wheel here?

But to be honest, you have been given the BEST possible solution to your problem at hand. That cost less than 2 cents a day. If you don't want to use that that is on you.

It doesn't use your bandwidth, you don't use your elec, its on 24/7/365 be it your home or not. So while your machine is rebooting because you installed patches its working. You don't have to do anything on your router, it would take you minutes to setup.

Here is another guide for how to setup windows for incoming vpn

http://www.avoiderrors.net/setup-and-access-a-vpn-in-windows-8-1/

That was arachnoid asking for the username and service, not me. Did you notice?

I know very little about networking, let alone configuring a VPN and on top of that, sharing a connection through it; that's why I'm asking for help and a clear step-by-step guide for the networking illiterate.

The microsoft link that you gave me tells me absolutely nothing. I also did search for OpenVPN guides, but couldn't find one about sharing an internet connection. They were about file sharing, etc.

Again, your best solution isn't free. I'm looking for a TEMPORARY solution. Perhaps I need to make this more clear. They are not willing to pay and I'm not willing to pay for them out of my pocket.

It's not supposed to be 24/7, just a few hours a day and not every day either.

The other guide that you linked, again, he doesn't explain how to share my internet connection; just sharing files. Also, I know and understand even less about configuring a router.

Umm... my nuts?!

Anyway, apparently there is an easy way to establish a VPN connection through Teamviewer, it requires installing the "Teamviewer VPN driver".

http://www.smartpctricks.com/2013/05/how-to-setup-configure-free-vpn-virtual-private-network-with-team-viewer-vpn-client-software.html

Now I just need to figure out the connection sharing part which requires this software called "Redirproxy" or something, which I have no clue what it's supposed to be.

http://superuser.com/questions/402223/how-to-route-internet-connection-through-teamviewers-vpn

Now only if someone could translate that to layman's english.... Not getting my hopes up.

You can with a bit NAT tricky setup a VPN server that L2TP in win 7 pro mostly how to do it can be found here:

http://rotwhiler.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/windows-xp-pro-as-a-l2tp-ipsec-vpn-server/

Win 7 and XP do sharing of the internet differently but for win 7 behind a NAT you setup the VPN IP range somewhere in your NAT router range so if your NAT router is setup with 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 set the VPN range to be 192.168.1.250 - 192.168.1.251 this will make a VPN connecting client use 192.168.1.251 down the VPN tunnel and NAT by your NAT router.

Thanks Peter, but that is beyond me; create a certificate, modify registry keys, etc.

That was arachnoid asking for the username and service, not me. Did you notice

Yeah - since I quoted him :) you can answer more than 1 question in a post ;)

what do you mean that link give you any info its a step by step walk through with a video!! And the first one, comes down to follow the wizard!!! Its really a follow the bouncing ball sort of deal..

But again why I pointed you to the first BEST solution to you problem is how simple it is! You don't need to know anything, you don't have to mess with your machine, you don't have to mess with your router. You do a couple of commands and your family member has a vpn they can connect too..

Sorry but not going to walk you through the already done guides on installing openvpn, or built in vpns to your OS when I have provided a solution that requires no skill, no nothing - just type a couple of commands that have already been given.

Good luck!

I know very little about networking, let alone configuring a VPN and on top of that, sharing a connection through it; that's why I'm asking for help and a clear step-by-step guide for the networking illiterate.

The microsoft link that you gave me tells me absolutely nothing. I also did search for OpenVPN guides, but couldn't find one about sharing an internet connection. They were about file sharing, etc.

I provided a script that does it for you, Admittedly its not mine but its tried and tested by me.

Using Teamviewer is probably more complex than anything we have suggested but have a go and post any problems you have.

I suppose if they are just wanting to do some simple unfiltered browsing - you can have them remote into your machine via Teamviewer, then open a browser on your machine - and do it that way.

Kinda ugly solution, but 100% free and fast, and simple as anything.  (dont even need to install the VPN driver)  However, when they are wanting to browse - you cant (since they would be using your machine)