Snowblower smoking

Dumb question, but want to know what was going on!

I have a brand new snow blower that I just used for the first time a couple days ago after getting buried with 12+ inches of the crap!

After first familiarizing myself with the controls, during use, it would smoke like crazy sometimes. I think I figured it out that it was because I wasn't fully squeezing the auger control.

Like I said, I THINK that was what was causing it to do that but I could've sworn I was squeezing it fully. It being brand new, I figured I'd see a little smoke and a smell for a bit, but man, one time it smoked REAL bad.

A buddy of mine said that yes, it will smoke like crazy as I was burning up a rubber disc or something like that.

My question is then this. Will not fully squeezing the auger control cause it to smoke and burn what ever up drives it?

Thank you

I don't think producing smoke is normal. What kind of blower do you have? Have you called the business you bought it from yet?

It would quit smoking when I concentrated on squeezing the handle, I think! I bought it last year, at the end of the season, so I'm pretty sure that was the issue, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced that?

It's a Yardmachine, 24 inch.

No,

Haven't called anyone about it. I usually just use my little snow thrower and have for the last 20 years as my driveway isn't that long or wide, but it would've had a very difficult time removing all the snow we just got a couple days ago, especially at the end from the slop the plows throw in there.

Don't think so, although anything is possible, but I got it brand new, in the crate! Not a single scratch on it.

Just looked up their support number and they are actually open today, so will call in a few.

Yeah, I would give the support line a call, and see if there's some kind of warranty left on the machine.

Yeah, I would give the support line a call, and see if there's some kind of warranty left on the machine.

Still under warranty for another month!

How's the oil level? Overfilling can cause it to smoke.

Just filled it before it's first use. Right on the dot. Smoke didn't smell like oil either. Stunk REAL bad but don't think it smelled like any kind of rubber as the buddy of mine said it was some rubber disc/drive that would've been smoking. He has a different brand of blower though.

Going to call them right now.

Depends where the smoke is coming from, if you are not engaging the auger fully and it is belt driven and smells like burning rubber you need to squeeze the trigger fully each time.  If it is coming from the muffler then we have a separate problem.

Depends where the smoke is coming from, if you are not engaging the auger fully and it is belt driven and smells like burning rubber you need to squeeze the trigger fully each time.  If it is coming from the muffler then we have a separate problem.

I'm going to go along with that. I called my brother who is much more mechanically inclined than I am, and he confirmed that there is a rubber wheel like thing in there, and that if you don't squeeze handle completely, it will slip and smoke. He had just worked on almost this very thing on his son in laws blower along with having to replace a shear pin under that housing. It was not coming from the muffler.

I called the company right after I left here earlier this morning and lady I talked to said it shouldn't smoke even though I may not have been squeezing handle completely. Sounded like she knew as much about it as I did!

You didn't perhaps put gas in it last year when you bought it and just left it there the whole year? 

No gas in it last year. Just took it out of crate and finished assembling it this week!

Never used one before, but if it's like a weed eater and takes fuel that has oil mixed with it instead of having a separate reservoir for motor oil, then mixing the fuel incorrectly can cause smoke.

I am thinking that your pulley that adjusts the belt to turn the auger might be needing some oil or there is an adjuster for tension on the belt that is way way to tight.

I am going to test the blower today and see if it does smoke only when not fully squeezing the handle and if so, look into that one. Not supposed to be so cold today that I freeze to death in 3 seconds, so i will have time to pay attention to this.

Never used one before, but if it's like a weed eater and takes fuel that has oil mixed with it instead of having a separate reservoir for motor oil, then mixing the fuel incorrectly can cause smoke.

Nope, this is a four stroke engine with separate oil and gas.

Well,

I'm going to say that was the issue. Double checked everything as far as oil not being over filled and I know I have fresh gas in it. Started it up yesterday and squeezed handle fully real fast. No smoke at all. Let off handle slightly and it started smoking some. Let off a little more and it smoked real good.

Mental note to self:

MUST remember to squeeze handle fully from now on. At least until it's broke in and then see what happens!!

Living in Michigan snowblowers are a life requirement :)

There's usually a choke lever or dial which richens the fuel to air ratio (less air, more fuel) for cold starting, very often colored red. If you leave it in the start position after the engine is running the over-rich mixture (too much fuel) produces smoke. Turn it to the run position.

6793d1355882657-ariens-snowblower-very-s

snow-blower-choke.jpg

78%20engine%20throttle.jpg

Tell me about that fact of living in Michigan and it being a life requirement!! I live there. West Michigan will all that lovely lake effect crap!! :angry:

Absolutely positive choke was off. Ran very bad just by letting it warm up as I much as I did on it's first ever start.

Nope, wrong color smoke and much worse smell than from it just running to rich in fuel for it to be fuel.

I adjusted the cable on the auger control and although it does require the control to be squeezed fully, it does not smoke when I do so. In fact, doesn't smoke at all until I let up almost half way on the control now. If I were to try using the blower now with the control half depressed, i wouldn't even be able to control anything as my hand wouldn't be on grip tight enough to be of any use.

Thanks for the replies folks. You all did help me in solving the issue.

Heck,

You hardly know what snow is then over on that side of the state without the lake effect stuff! :D

I bet you do DoctorD, especially if you're near the lake. I know New York gets a fair amount of that lake effect crap if you're close enough to the shores of Lake Ontario?

Does it look like this? :laugh: .... Yep thats me! ... Its security cam footage from my driveway in 2010

Mine use to do it and then it stopped. Hasn't done it for 3 years so ya maybe to much oil..

Buffalo in winter is the personification of Kobayashi Maru. No win. Just stock up, dig in and wait for spring.

Yeah,

Buffalo is what I was trying to think of but drew a total blank then!

Does it look like this? :laugh: .... Yep thats me! ... Its security cam footage from my driveway in 2010

Mine use to do it and then it stopped. Hasn't done it for 3 years so ya maybe to much oil..

Looking good, warwagon!! :)

Definitely was like that last winter, ALL winter!!

Been a fairly mellow winter, so far here, but the week I started this topic we got hit with around 12 inches 2 nights in a row and a few inches during the day, for several days after getting that dump!!

I'm getting paranoid about the remainder of this winter.

Not as much snow as this time last year however; so far our January has been colder this year than last year, which was flat out brutal, and there's 13% more Great Lakes ice than last year.

Do NOT need more -45