Changes in how we use our PCs

I believe the OP was talking about the Windows Desktop.... not a desktop computer.

I don't even know what my wallpaper is! Seriously, I never look at my desktop anymore. Documents, downloaded files, pictures, etc. all have their own folders....

I thought he was talking about the Desktop itself as well, why all the gadget comments?

I guess I hadn't realised how our habits change but I feel we use our computers completely different than we did 10 years ago, even if sometimes we think traditional computers are the old ways against tablets and smartphones.

I'm curious to see what you guys think about this :)

Yea, you practice bad habits from 10 years ago.. ;)  Full screen browsing is so n00b. I kid, but seriously.  Sounds like the guy that swears he gets stuff done by keeping his desk piled with folders.

Also sounds like you hyper organize your data into folders, while picking on the Start menu for hierarchy?

Those who are saying the tablet is over, I disagree. Surface is changing the way that we'll be using tablets. iPads are consumption devices. Don't lump the Surface line in with that.

Those who are saying the tablet is over, I disagree. Surface is changing the way that we'll be using tablets. iPads are consumption devices. Don't lump the Surface line in with that.

And no doubt Windows 10 will help push that point further. I agree with you on some level, mainly that the Surface Pro is a cool piece of hardware. 

Gimme gimme gimme.

We gave away the two desktop machines that we had back home. Now we have three laptops and a Surface Pro 2. It was like the best technological change ever. Never again we have to worry about cables and accessories and all other junk.

The old scanner also was given away, as nowadays there are things like Office Lens for Windows Phone that we can use, which makes impressive scans of documents and whatever else.

The old scanner also was given away, as nowadays there are things like Office Lens for Windows Phone that we can use, which makes impressive scans of documents and whatever else.

I haven't used a scanner in years. Lol

I dunno guys but I got a new desktop like 3 months ago after years of fooling around with laptops and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Also I don't know if you guys scan stuff with your watch or just by looking at it but I use a scanner frequently for uni. So I guess each to his own...

We gave away the two desktop machines that we had back home. Now we have three laptops and a Surface Pro 2. It was like the best technological change ever. Never again we have to worry about cables and accessories and all other junk.

elenarie - my notebook (which is pre-owned) is the first notebook (or portable of any sort) I have ever bought for my own use.  However, having supported them, I was well aware of what I was facing going in.

That was why the improvements in trackpad support (with 9879) got me horked off - this isn't new hardware, for Ned's sake.  (It's not even 7-era hardware - it's VISTA-era hardware.)  Yet merely replacing the previous version of Windows (8.1, in this case - however, remember, both Vista and 7 preceded it!) with the Technical Preview for Enterprises - no other changes whatever - improved performance.  (In all cases, the OS was installed clean - no upgrades.  Same with the application loadout.)

If further improvements in hardware support for OLDER hardware are coming down the road, if anything, I'm going to be getting angrier and angrier.

I changed with vista/7 thanks to instant search. I laugh at those with win 8 saying it's the biggest reason to upgrade :-)

During Windows 2000/XP Era I created .bat files to change my directories in command prompt. Now I don't have to.

I love aero too and use my cursor to preview app content now and use windows key + tab to sort. Windows 8 is a big downgrade for me as a result and crashes with box too much in YouTube regardless of video card.

Apps serve no purpose for me. So win 7 is the better product and changed me more than any OS

That would not work for me. A) I need my 22" screen to see things well and B) I have 4 external disks attached.  Plus  2 printers, mic, ethernet, etc. Cables galore but they are mostly under the desk so they don't bother. There is practically no port on my XPS 8300 that is not used. LOL

With laptops (of which I have 5) you can only do simple things. But if you need muscle, a desktop is unbeatable. If I want no wires, I use the tablets or the phone. But there you cannot really "produce" anything.

I think average person doesn't even need tablet a Phone is fine most people.

It is heading towards the Phone for quick stuff and Tablet to finish it up. I personally hate it and go for laptop/desktop any day of the week. 

It is heading towards the Phone for quick stuff and Tablet to finish it up. I personally hate it and go for laptop/desktop any day of the week

Like I said Phone and computer is fine for most people. If they can't computer or tablet they will just get a phone.

I still like/use my desktop, but I use my phone to casually browse the net more and more these days. I plan to get a tablet for the same purpose.

Call me crazy, but I see a future where every home has a central computer and tablets, phones, etc. will connect and be extensions of that central computer, which is itself and extension of a cloud computing collective. Your data will be available wherever you go and secured/tied to you via some sort of biological means. Maybe through your DNA and unique vital signs. You walk into a hotel room and your data is instantly available once the hotel's central computer reads your biological signature. Anonymity unfortunately will no longer be a part of the internet. Like it or not this is coming in the next 20~30 years.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/ can produce you everything you want.

I have 2 Asus. One is a complete disaster (they encrypted the C partition) and the other one is OK. Their help line is useless.

On these little laptop screens I have a hard time doing anything. And laptops do not have enough ports to attach all my gear. I need several USB3 ports and at least 1 eSata port. And then 3 or 4 USB2 ports for all the other stuff (printers, mouse, etc.). Plus the laptop CPUs are pretty useless for video encoding - just too slow. Make the test - try to encode a 1GB video with Camtasia or Microsoft Expression Encoder 4. Then you will know what I am talking about.