David Cameron wants to ban private message apps such as WhatsApp and Snapchat

Prime minister David Cameron has outlined plans to introduce new surveillance laws in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in Paris last week.

Cameron also made comments suggesting that services such as WhatsApp and Snapchat could be banned.

Cameron said that, if he is re-elected this year, he will seek to introduce new powers that focus on communications data, so that security agencies have the access they need to information.

Yep... always a technology problem.

Next, David Cameron tries to ban talking as a communication mechanism that is difficult to tap.

Not sure why all the UK news outlets are mentioning whatsapp. I thought it had encryption only for android to android communication, and group chats, photos and videos are not encrypted. Plus on iOS it doesn't use encryption, not yet anyways.

Yep... always a technology problem.

Next, David Cameron tries to ban talking as a communication mechanism that is difficult to tap.

yeah whats next,

news reporters will be telling parents that if your child is using whatsapp then they are most likely communicating with terror cells across the globe.

Surely the bigger problem here is that with how UK laws are written (Ie as widely as possible) anything that's encrypted from steam to on-line banking is in danger of being caught by this?

Not sure why all the UK news outlets are mentioning whatsapp. I thought it had encryption only for android to android communication, and group chats, photos and videos are not encrypted. Plus on iOS it doesn't use encryption, not yet anyways.

WhatsApp just happens to be the main application that the average joe can relate to.

why can't this Brits politician be honest by saying "I want to follow China & Russia's example"?

because that would go against him, he needs to lead people to the reasons why X should be done to stop X from happening, hes our version of rush limbar.

Prime minister David Cameron has outlined plans to introduce new surveillance laws in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in Paris last week. Cameron also made comments suggesting that services such as WhatsApp and Snapchat could be banned. Cameron said that, if he is re-elected this year, he will seek to introduce new powers that focus on communications data, so that security agencies have the access they need to information.

why can't this Brits politician be honest by saying "I want to follow China & Russia's example"?

For years the narrative has always been "We live in the West and are a democracy, we're the good guys etc... Those other countries are evil because they spy on their citizens, arent democratic blah blah blah"

That lie has to be maintained even though it is rather obvious that the actions of the UK government are exactly the same under the same (or fabricated) circumstances.

For years the narrative has always been "We live in the West and are a democracy, we're the good guys etc... Those other countries are evil because they spy on their citizens, arent democratic blah blah blah"

That lie has to be maintained even though it is rather obvious that the actions of the UK government are exactly the same under the same (or fabricated) circumstances.

The West do it just as much as anywhere else, all Cameron is doing is trying to make it perfectly legal and easier to do so.

I'm sorry but Google has most of my life, Cameron can have it too if it stops something like Paris happening on my doorstep. 

Really bad headline. David Cameron doesn't want to ban WhatsApp, he wants to ban communications where it isn't possible for the authorities to read it. If you were to apply this to WhatsApp, this would mean the app would continue, just in an unencrypted form.

Ergo: no ban on WhatsApp, just a ban on non-breakable encryption

• Like 1

Yeah, a much worse case!   Then again UK has always aiming towards a nanny state

Really bad headline. David Cameron doesn't want to ban WhatsApp, he wants to ban communications where it isn't possible for the authorities to read it. If you were to apply this to WhatsApp, this would mean the app would continue, just in an unencrypted form.

Why is it any better?

Encryption should not be illegal.

Go away David Cameron. Really. He's an absolute ignoramus. He's the person who thought 'lol' meant 'lots of love'. Enough said.

As to the the efficacy of such censorship / surveillance, let us not forget that French intelligence knew about the bombers, as did Britain's MI6 about the 7/7 bombers (they were even following them). That didn't stop it happening, and neither will any additional powers. It seems to me that intelligence services are either incompetent or intentionally colluding in order to allow these acts to take place because of the very reasons Cameron is using to justify giving them additional powers. Just look at the patriot act in the US and other anti-terrorism laws that are enacted after an attack. It's all one big power grap and curtailment of liberty in the aftermath. One has to question who this benefits? Government and intelligence services of course.

Hitler pioneered the false flag with the burning of the reichstag and subsequent passing of the Enabling Act in 1933. It seems the west is making use of it too.

Yeah, a much worse case!   Then again UK has always aiming towards a nanny state

Nanny state? That's a gross understatement. More like totalitarian state. The UK government always tries to take advantage of these situations and do a power grab.

perfect way not to get re-elected

which aint a bad thing

That's why he's waiting until after the election. And proves yet again why representational democracy doesn't work.

Funny that we don't trust our own governments, sad times :-(  .....but what do they expect.  They never answer the public questions do they, they only answer with another question!

Given that China has a virtual software lock down on its inhabitants and a "Bamboo curtain" protecting its borders yet people still access external sources and form alliances against the government just proves that this approach even if it were brought in doesn't work.

The bloke's a ###### idiot, and so are half the coneys he hangs with. OMG NOE LET'Z BLAME TEH INTERWEBZ FOR TERRORISM.

post-405-0-90321200-1421165277.png

...just a ban on non-breakable encryption

That should be the headline which is worse then banning Whatsapp.

it amazes me how disconnected these people are, its like me trying to create a nuclear bomb I would have no idea but i'll give my input anyway and enforce it on my workers.