Where are these cheaper 8tb seagate drives?

Saw some info about these $260 8tb Seagate drives starting to ship.. Im just wondering where they are being shipped to and when we will actually start to see them on the shelves..

Can find any other info about them anywhere!

Seagates? I think they've decided to cut out the middle man and ship the disks directly from the factory to the RMA centre.

Ah ah, awesome :D:woot:

Seagates? I think they've decided to cut out the middle man and ship the disks directly from the factory to the RMA centre.

They may be shipping to distributors? Not sure. Sadly, I'd pass this one up because it's a Seagate drive. If it was HGST, I'd be ordering 8.

I've had extremely good reliability with Seagate drives. In fact I've had a lot more problems with the few WD drives I've owned.

I've had extremely good reliability with Seagate drives. In fact I've had a lot more problems with the few WD drives I've owned.

Yep - likewise.  I have a couple of 8 year old Seagates running in my Server (for random storage, nothing important) and they still appear to be going strong.  All of the WDs I bought since (and it has been 3 or so years since I bought anything but an SSD) has died since.

Anecdotal, I know... 

Well look up the stats for those companies who make stats on drive stability based upon RMA's and thousands and thousands of drives... you can always be lucky and unlucky, would I trust 8GB of data to luck... no...

Saw some info about these $260 8tb Seagate drives starting to ship.. Im just wondering where they are being shipped to and when we will actually start to see them on the shelves..

Can find any other info about them anywhere!

They're setting sail for fail.

• Like 1

Well look up the stats for those companies who make stats on drive stability based upon RMA's and thousands and thousands of drives... you can always be lucky and unlucky, would I trust 8GB of data to luck... no...

Putting 8TB of data onto any drive is trusting it to luck, no matter how reputable or reliable a brand is shown to be.

You want confidence that you don't lose your 8TB of data then back it up, keep it in another location, across different mediums etc

• Like 2

Putting 8TB of data onto any drive is trusting it to luck, no matter how reputable or reliable a brand is shown to be.

You want confidence that you don't lose your 8TB of data then back it up, keep it in another location, across different mediums etc

True enough, but even if it's not data you are truly worried about, losing it sucks and it's better to pick a drive from a maker that rinks like twice as high on the reliability scale, even when it's losable data. 

This. The amount of  data being put into a such a single disk is proportional of failure %; the bigger the disk, the more likely it will fail. Also if a drive is this big it's just playing with fire not having a reliable backup system.

I've been using Seagate drives for well over a decade and have only had one failure, which was an external. At the moment I have five Seagate drives all in good health. I'd be perfectly happy buying an 8TB Seagate drive and in fact intend to do so.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-hardware/selecting-a-disk-drive-how-not-to-do-research-1.html

Backblaze data is flawed and not reliable and so are the numerous anecdotes. Why would backblaze keep getting seagate drives anyway if its so unreliable? Reason: Cheap to get multiple drives for redundancy and backup so it doesn't really matter. Just by looking at the chart, one would think seagate becomes more reliable as the storage size increases so 8TB drives must be off the charts amazing right...

I'll throw in my own anecdote, I have four 4TB seagate, two 1.5TB seagate, four 1.5TB F2 samsungs all going strong.  The samsungs all have 40K hours uptime and still no signs of stopping while the 4TB seagates have been operational for nearly 2 years already.

Guess what, before I had samsungs and seagates. I had six 400GB Western Digital Caviars from 8 years ago. 3 of them died within a year and 2 lasted 3 years and the single one I have still running after 40k hours runtime has many bad sectors already.  All of them bought from the same store. Bad batches can happen and seagate had a real bad one a few years ago but thats mostly fixed now.

Anecdotes on HDD are unreliable and should never ever trust any. It's like when people keep saying AMD/ATI graphics drivers are still crap when that hasn't been the case for many years now. People just keep parroting each other over and over again. Any discussion that gets made up about hard drives theres always gonna be people going in and saying blah blah seagate no thanks or in graphic card debates blah blah amd drivers no thanks. So a snowball of confirmation bias creeps up.

As far as hard drive reliability per manufacturers go, there's no reliable data that can be found anywhere but I can guess they're all more or less equal. I have no problems getting WD again but Seagate and Samsung have had the cheapest HDD's with good performance in the past few years. I'd rather get Two 4TB seagates for $200 and get redundancy instead of a single WD for the same price.

It's best to keep the best practice of having backups instead of thinking "oh HGST is super reliable therefore I'll just buy this ONE drive and put all my eggs in it because it won't ever fail EVER!".

If you look at that trend, it's showing Seagate's newest drive is actually more reliable and Western Digitals newer drives have a higher instance of failure.  

Also, no 4Tb drives for WD is kinda strange.  

I've had a few seagate 3Tb drives show errors and make strange noises... both were returned and rma'd for drives that have so far been strange noise and defect free.  I had two 1.5Tb drives fail on me, but in every case the drive gave warning and I could get the data off of it if needed.  Western Digital drives seem to just die, and any data on them lost.  

As for other manufacturers I can't really say.  Toshiba had a bunch of problems with 3Tb drives... you can get refurbished ones for under $60 in some cases.