The best email service?

What is your favorite email service?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite email service?

• Outlook.com/Hotmail
    • Gmail
    • AOL
    • iCloud Mail
    • Other ( write the name with a post on the thread)

Best paid option:

I would purchase a domain then sign-up for Office 365 Hosted Exchange, this is $4 a month for business grade email hosted by Microsoft. Exchange is fantastic on the web, desktop and on the mobile.

Indeed, I mentioned support in my earlier post but didn't have enough time to elobrate further on that.

I migrated both my mailbox and a friends mailbox from my Zimbra FOSS + Zpush server to O365 and whilst the migration went fairly smoothly for the most part he was getting a problem where some of his folders were not showing in activesync even when the show all folders option was selected on the phone.

Raised a service request in the o365 portal and had someone from Microsoft calling in less than 2 hours from the time the request was raised in order to troubleshoot the issue,  which for a non critical single user issue was fairly impressive.

What's so special about outlook?  Its just email with no added features so Im not sure why people are so loyal to it?

I think that because is a good email service... and not a mix of email, social network ecc...

I know.

I want only to understand if an underscore in the username is good or not 

no one uses underscore nowadays.   so don't

Ok...... strange I see some people use them

Like I said depends on username availability. 

For example:

first.lastname@provider.com  = taken 

crap!

firstlastname@provider.com = taken

crap!

first_lastname@provider.com = available

Woo! Then fill the rest of the form and hit sign up.

Simple!

Get it?

Now stop asking us and do it on your own.

Is this your first email address? I'm not knocking your research on the idea, but when I got my first email address in 1999 I didn't put half as much thought in to it, I was...bof, probably too young to appreciate what an email address was, and yet I still use the same address to this day. Took me 5 minutes to think of something.

I think you're over thinking this. But that's the last I'll say on this subject.

• Like 2

I think that I will go with Outlook 

Like I said depends on username availability. 

For example:

first.lastname@provider.com  = taken 

crap!

firstlastname@provider.com = taken

crap!

first_lastname@provider.com = available

Woo! Then fill the rest of the form and hit sign up.

Simple!

Get it?

Now stop asking us and do it on your own.

I had tried to check:

name_surname   (available)

name.s.surname (available)

If you have privacy problem in gmail email paltform then Yahoo and outlook express are best options for you.

Yahoo has worse privacy protections and Hotmail is the same or worse than Gmai, not sure where people get this nonsense from! 

Personally, I'd never use my name in a e-mail address. I always use nicknames or phrases.

I use other peoples names as my email address, like Steve Ballmer and Edward Snowden.

I just wrote basically these words in a post a minute ago...

If you're on the MS ecosystem, you might as well use Outlook.com's service, since your account will be tied there and it will make accessing things cross-platform simpler.

That said, I rarely use Outlook.com directly, I have Outlook 365 and the WP8 linked mailbox app that integrates both my Outlook.com and Gmail accounts pretty smoothly. I do like Outlook's address aliasing, but I'm not as familiar with the Gmail services.

<Threads merged>

There is really no need to start one thread asking which service is a better solution, then another thread to ask which service people prefer. It's the same question.

I use 2 services...one that came with my internet service is for private emails and outlook for public stuff

^^^^

This is mostly how I do it also.

Personally,

Gmail would be about my dead last suggestion for e-mail, especially if you ever want to send an .exe to yourself or anyone else, which I have to quite often. I have 3 junk Gmail accounts and although the spam isn't what it used to be, especially for an address I have NEVER given out, I still get LinkedIn and Facebook crap there and have NEVER had an account with either of those places!

Outlook.com seems to be a decent e-mail that so far, I have never received a single piece of spam at. Don't remember if I've ever tried to send an .exe to that address or not though. I guess that's the one thing I like about Yahoo's mail although that pretty much sucks also.

<.exe files issue>

You should have that issue with all email services. Same for .bat files, if I remember. It's there for safety reasons. Of course, the way to get around it is to rename the .exe file to something like .txt, then rename it back to .exe when you download it. And yes, I appreciate that such a solution is "easy" for techs like us, while being more difficult for people less involved, but it's for exactly that reason that the safety feature is there to begin with.

I switched from Microsoft's Hotmail service to Google's Gmail service quite a number of years ago now and I have never once thought of moving away from Google. Despite what has been claimed that Google do, it has never dissuaded me from using their service.