The best email service?

What is your favorite email service?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite email service?

• Outlook.com/Hotmail
    • Gmail
    • AOL
    • iCloud Mail
    • Other ( write the name with a post on the thread)

I've been using my ISP's provided mail server for the past 10 years as my primary. The web based one's I use for forum signups/etc, they run spam interference and keeps my real accounts clean. That said, if I have to use a web based as my primary, would likely be Outlook.com just because I use Outlook as my mail client, GMail would do just as good, it's a tossup and I have contacts/calendar being synced across the two anyway. Yahoo, oh hell no, I was getting spam on that before I even used that address anywhere, never mind getting hacked all the time, etc etc.. pass.

While I prefer to use my corporate mail, I wonder why nobody has voted Yahoo yet. I mean after all the recent Gmail bashing...

Might be because Yahoos is a step above running an insecure POP server yourself?  ISP email is actually better 

Might be because Yahoos is a step above running an insecure POP server yourself?  ISP email is actually better 

If you say so... I don't really think Yahoo sniffs in your stuff. And it's not like Google don't do the same.

Outlook.com is my favorite. I've been using Yahoo the longest, but over the years they've kinda gone downhill (their UI is awful now, and they keep nagging me to change my password, no matter how often I change it). 

I still use Yahoo though for registering for stuff, buying stuff online, etc. You know, things that end up flooding an inbox with auto-generated messages. I use Outlook/Live for actual human-on-human conversations.

Just because you op-out of personalized ads, doesn't mean they don't show ads, you just get random ads. 

Personally I'd rather see ad's I care about then random ones.

However, seeing an ad that holds no interest gives me a slightly quicker decision making time in my head.

If I see an ad that "might be interesting to me", then it would take half a second longer to disregard it.

I'm happy to see next to no advertisements online; the onus is on me to find out the info rather than sift through loads and loads of ads.

Best free options:

For free options i think you should be looking at Outlook.com or Gmail.

Outlook.com supports Exchange Active Sync, meaning you can sync your email, but contacts and calender also. This is very handy as everything is synced on the PC, Phone and the Outlook website.

With Gmail you are limited to IMAP meaning you can only sync email, not contacts and calendars. However i think add-ons exist for some desktop email clients that will sync Gmail Contacts / Calendars too.

Best paid option:

I would purchase a domain then sign-up for Office 365 Hosted Exchange, this is $4 a month for business grade email hosted by Microsoft. Exchange is fantastic on the web, desktop and on the mobile.

Also the advantage of using your own domain is you can change email providers and keep the same email address. So if you decided Exchange isn't for you then you can simply signup with Google apps and have your email hosted by Google, or any other company offering email hosting.

I have used Google Apps (Gmail), Windows Live Domains (Outlook.com, now discontinued for use with your own domains) and Office 365 Hosted Exchange over the years, in my opinion Office 365 Hosted Exchange will give you by far the best email experience if your willing to pay. Everything just works and syncs great no matter what platform or device you are on. I also think the Office 365 Hosted Exchange web interface / functionality is leagues ahead of anything else out there.

To sum up i would personally go with Outlook.com for a free email provider, or purchase a domain and use Office 365 Hosted Exchange.

I agree that Office 365 is great value for money and works very good on all major platforms. 

I have Outlook.com, Yahoo! and GMail accounts (my ISP also uses a white labelled version of Yahoo! email).

Out of the three, I find that Outlook.com, whilst has the best interface, is the slowest and most painful to use in the browser.

Vanilla GMail has, in my opinion, the worst user interface but is the least troublesome.  I find that it is trying to simple like Google search, but this simplicity has gone to an extreme and is detrimental to the overall user experience.

I am not a fan of Yahoo! email at all.

I would not rely on ISP e-mail, because you may want to change ISP one day.

Google with Inbox is very good, once you get your head around Inbox, and how to use it effectively, that is.

If you say so... I don't really think Yahoo sniffs in your stuff. And it's not like Google don't do the same.

But you aren't scared or annoyed that with Gmail all the email are "spied" for advertising?

The ALL do it, Google is just more open about it while MS and Yahoo try to hide this fact, people need to get over it and use and adblocker, throwing hissy fits about it isn't going to do anything at all