Monitor mount / monitor arm?

Is it just a case of a mount/arm is a mount/arm? Basically i want to raise my monitor up off my desk (desk top 50mm thick) to give more desk space & just have the monitor at a preferred height/angle that is easily adjustable.

There's quite a range in price so i'd like to know why i should go for one but not another.

I know some will do for certain sizes but not others, but let's say we have 2 mounts/arms (what's the correct term btw?) which will both do my monitor. How do you select?

I'd give links to 2 different arms/mounts but then you'd probably thinking i'm trying to decide between those two even though they'd only be used as examples. I'm hoping you guys know to what sort of thing i'm referring :)

Dual monitor desk stand with clamps which you can mount the monitors to the desk edge.

Dual monitor wall mount which you can mount the monitors onto the wall.

Or if you want separated monitors; For example, you want one monitor to stay put and other is movable.  Then you can get two of a single desk monitor mount.

Haven't bought one of these in a long time, back when I had a few CRT's that weighed a bazillion pounds and wanted them off my desk. But as far as selection goes, I recall needing to pay attention to how much weight they can hold, how big in size of a monitor it can hold, what sort of clamp/mount it has (some clamp to your desk, some get bolted into a stud in the wall, etc), and what sort of "mobility" it has.. some can swing/swivel/tilt all over the place, some not so much. After that *shrug* look at the reviews, make sure it's a good build quality, etc. The ones I had were heavy duty steel I think, could definitely bludgeon somebody with it, weighed a fair bit on their own.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/276467-ergotron-neo-flex-extend-lcd-arm-silver-45-235-194

Problem is it doesn't say the limitations on the thickness of the desk.

My desk is 50mm thick & this just doesn't open up enough.

Know of a decent arm in a similar price bracket that DOES accommodate a desk top that's 50mm thick?

• Like 1

Ah i guess i should've looked on the manufac website first. I just thought 50mm would be standard desk thickness, nothing special.

I'm really needing something like the one i bought where you can swivel it out as there's a good chunk of desk i can't mount it to as the drawers are at the end i want to mount it. So with the one i go i could push it outwards & along in to the corner of the room. Kinda hard for me to explain :)

I wouldn't say shaving 2mm off is butchering it, but I understand not wanting to do so.  If you are good with fabrication, you could make a clamp that works or goes larger.  Otherwise you are going to have to choose a different mount with larger clamp.

I agree with sc302 about shaving 2mm off... no problem.

You can pick a spot on the back of your desk and your friends/family can not see the shaved spot...  No big deal.

Or other way, if you want to:

Take the bottom clamp off (if possible) and buy a metal sheet. If the sheet is too big, you can trim it.

Drill holes in sheet.

Then place it under the desk and put mount on top of the desk... insert the bolts in and you can tight it up with nuts on bolts.

If you decide to sell your desk in the future, you can put filler in the holes and let it dry to sand it.. then put stain on it... No problem.