January 21 Event: Windows 10: The Next Chapter

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Excited?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will you be watching live?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. How was the event? (answer after the event has happened)

• Great (5)
    • (4)
    • (3)
    • (2)
    • (1)
    • Hasn't happened yet, I will update my vote after the event!

People are too obsessed with this payment stuff. Microsoft is giving you the upgrade for free up until one year after GA, after that, it becomes a paid upgrade. Sheesh. How hard is it to understand this?

People who have english problem.. that's why they don't understand or get it... they want more information about 1 year free upgrade offer so they understand clearly once they have more information answered.

I had a client who asks for my help all the time on the computer repairs/help... he always asks me "what does that mean?" "I don't understand that." "I don't know what to do."   He failed at English class at his school. That's why he did not focus to his studying or paying attention... He said "My English sucks."

Sheesh. How hard is it to understand that MS has yet to define what they mean by 'keeping it up to date for the supported life of the device,'? 

^That!

Sheesh. How hard is it to understand that MS has yet to define what they mean by 'keeping it up to date for the supported life of the device,'? 

It means the device either dies or they stop supporting it at some point, probably defined by CPU, or going by original install date or however they want to check. No different from OEMs who give you a set period of time with support and then stop. In this case MS will stop giving you free updates.

That's still not a subscription model, the updates are free but only if you get in on it before the one year is over.

It means, they'll support it like they have with any other Windows release. It'll be supported until Microsoft retires the OS, or until the device dies.

It means, they'll support it like they have with any other Windows release. It'll be supported until Microsoft retires the OS, or until the device dies.

It could be part of their new support model?

They might give us set times for different devices, desktop/laptops could get 3 years or more of free updates, while tablets and phones get 2 years. We'll just have to see what they decide to do and what comes after 10.0. I'm thinking that as much as they want to get rid of version numbers they're not going to get everyone to upgrade in that free first year.

They'll have to push out a 10.1 or 10.2 and start this whole process over, those who did get in on the first year will get those updates free again I bet.

They might give us set times for different devices, desktop/laptops could get 3 years or more of free updates, while tablets and phones get 2 years. We'll just have to see what they decide to do and what comes after 10.0. I'm thinking that as much as they want to get rid of version numbers they're not going to get everyone to upgrade in that free first year.

They'll have to push out a 10.1 or 10.2 and start this whole process over, those who did get in on the first year will get those updates free again I bet.

There are no version numbers after Windows 10. It is a rolling release.

That would turn Windows into a loss leader, something they said they weren't going to do.

Thanks for trying but no was more of an aspirational video that kicked in when the stream ended.  Was a good video not sure why they haven't uploaded it yet. 

They have been uploaded it. Check it out: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

That would turn Windows into a loss leader, something they said they weren't going to do.

Don't forged the COO simply said it just not on their conversation. Which means there's still possibility to turn it into a 'loss leader'

Oddly enough, you can blame their competition.

The OS for all their competition is a loss-leader - and especially in mobile.  Microsoft is - literally - the ONLY company that charges for their OSes.

For that reason alone, folks are actually expecting the OS to be given away.

Remember what I said about trends?

Most of what I have read is the device is defined by the motherboard - as long as it is the same motherboard then it is still the same device meaning if you have a DIY computer, you can upgrade anything on the system except the motherboard and you'll be able to continue running it.

Who said anything about a loss leader? they're still charging OEM's, still charging big corporates, they're still going to scrap 30% off the sales through the Marketplace (I'm going to assume that they're going to sell Microsoft Office via the Marketplace which will result in money going from the Office division to Windows division). It won't be a loss leader but it won't be a profit centre - it'll keep its head above the water not to mention that their Windows server makes a decent amount of cash as well (unsure whether the Server and Client of Windows are separate divisions).