Cisco 2901 With ISDN/PSTN

Has anyone in Cisco land set up a router to route voice calls across an ISDN or PSTN line?

I have a EHWIC card and I have never done this before.

Has anyone got a good simple guide I can follow?

Why would you do that?  t1 at least...but I would be bringing in cheap internet access to do that 5Mb up or better.  I haven't touched that in 10+ years, I don't even know where my configs would be from that install.

Are you using some sort of hybrid voip setup?  This is what I used to be able to connect two offices together way back when.  Digital phones system ---voip device think like modem ----router---mpls/isdn/t1----router---voip device like modem----digital phone system

I would guess this is what you are attempting

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/voice/configuration/guide/fvvfax_c/vvfisdn.html

BTW, I pay roughly $10 a voip phone at each desk with 4 lines at each phone...unlimited calling in the us.  This is a hosted PBX setup by vonage business.  I do need to supply internet access on top of that.  We have a 200/200 line that we share internet with phones, though physically segmented.

Like I said, I would not be using a ISDN for this at all.  ISDN is what 128K?  I wouldn't trust that with phones, I don't care how much or little you expect to use.  Full t1 barely supported 10 phones...that is 1.5Mb/s...when the phones rang the line would get saturated to the point of being unusable.  The call itself was fine, provided that another phone didn't ring..once the phone rang the call was disconnected.

Turns out I actually have NO idea how to set this up.

I have some ip phones which get addresses and extensions. Fine. Can call between them. No idea how to route those calls out of the ISDN line connected to the BRI interface.

hmmmmmmmm

Anyone got any ideas on this,

Say I have

ISDN Provided by XYZ, It has a number (Connected to BRI)

Say for testing I want to map ext 3001 to this number.

Ext 3001 is an IP Phone and can make calls to other IP phones.

Did you read instructions? How is ip supposed to root over that? There is no ip info or routing info. What is the ip phone to connect to, where's the pbx system it communicates to, what is the ip, what path/ip routes does it need to get there?

That's the thing I want any of the IP Phones on my local side to go to the ISDN and then onto the public phone network so if they dial a number somewhere else it routes that to the ISDN call.

Does this make sense?

Let's back up a bit. I need to find out what you are doing and who provided to see if it is even feasible to accomplish your goal.

Voip requires ip. Isdn voice does not. Two different protocols in this example. Isdn can be ip based depending on the information you were given by provider. If you have no ip information for the isdn line then you would need an on-site pbx to talk to the isdn, it will transfer the ip from the phone to a network protocol that will travel over the isdn.

Does that make sense?

Ok, So we have an ISDN presentation into a building with a number. A cisco router, 2901. Behind that we have some phones set up with CME. They work between themselves no issues. Extension to extension. We want to be able to call out to external numbers with those phones.

Yeah it works fine internally.

The guy albertvillamayor about quater way down the forum post is EXACTLY how I have it set up in a test environment or how I want it to be set up.

it sounds as if it is not trasfering properly in the cme to the isdn line. 

It seems like there is a lot of good info and troubleshooting in that one too. Go down and read through and see if anything applies. 

If you want post the config maybe a second set of eyes can help verify.

never messed with cme before.  To ring all phones, sure a hunt group.  but to ring one phone I believe you would have to map it to the phone vs the group.  do you have a inward dial rule pointing to a phone port or a group?