Montana police officer breaks down after fatally shooting unarmed man

A dashcam video showing a Montana police officer breaking into tears after fatally shooting an unarmed man who was high on methamphetamine was released this week after it was reviewed by a jury.

In the footage, Billings Police Officer Grant Morrison can be seen sobbing on the hood of a police cruiser after shooting 38-year-old Richard Ramirez three times during a traffic stop.

I think we are at an interesting crossroads right now with certain laws in regards to self defense. We have already see several cases in regards to law enforcement and even regular samaritans using self defense as a claim. The main issue I have is how in court can you have a trial based on what someones instincts will be if they feel threatened in a situation like this? You really can rule either way on this issue 

Just last week a cop was shot three times when the driver pulled a gun during a traffic stop (he survived;  the car was stolen). It's one of the most dangerous situations a cop has to face.

People are always quick to judge the actions of others under the pretenses that they know all the facts surrounding the actions. This is the definition of prejudice! We always hear minority groups screaming and yelling that white America is prejudice against them or that cops are prejudice against them and while I will not argue that there are some parts of society that are prejudice against minorities, I have personally found it very rare that minorities not be prejudice against me. I can't tell you how many times I have been held accountable in someones mind for something my ancestors may or may not have done. I digress, it is just interesting to me to see what happens when someone is open to see the other side of things how much their opinions change. Here's a great example of a "Black Lives Matter" protester who is invited by the police to a force training exercise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7DtMtymyU

• Like 3

I think we are at an interesting crossroads right now with certain laws in regards to self defense. We have already see several cases in regards to law enforcement and even regular samaritans using self defense as a claim. The main issue I have is how in court can you have a trial based on what someones instincts will be if they feel threatened in a situation like this? You really can rule either way on this issue 

Self defense claims are all too often judged by a skewed lens. Most self defense claims should boil down to a few points - 

1. Did you knowingly enter into a dangerous situation by your own choice.

2. Was it reasonable for you to perceive a threat to your safety.

3. Was it reasonable for you to escape the situation before using deadly force.

If theres no footage of inside the car then I dont see how he can be charged.  Meth heads are also highly unpredictable..gotta be extra defensive with those. 

The parents comments  "he was a good person"  "they didnt have to do that to them"     Well, if you have a criminal record, parents did something wrong.  If you high on meth, parents did something wrong.  This is not a good person, period.

It should not matter at all if he was a good person or not. The only thing that matters is what happened when he was shot.

• Like 2

It should not matter at all if he was a good person or not. The only thing that matters is what happened when he was shot.

I think its stupid that ppl go crazy and militant to try make these ppl into victims.  Michael Brown isnt a victim, meth heads arent victims, and as much as I dislike cops, no one is marching/rioting for them.

He should be charged and go to prison for murder, just like a ordinary citizen would. Cops should be held to a higher standard, not given freedom to kill. Why is this article trying to generate sympathy for him?

He should be charged and go to prison for murder, just like a ordinary citizen would. Cops should be held to a higher standard, not given freedom to kill. Why is this article trying to generate sympathy for him?

Whatever you are smoking, please please share.

He was warned, he didnt listen and and ignored repeated comments.  He was high as hell.  ###### happens and he was the cause of it.

And do a little research on all the laws protecting normal citizens.

I hope you are charged with murder when a drunk driver crashes into your car and dies. That's basically what you're saying....the cop defended himself just like any "ordinary citizen" SHOULD....why would he be charged for doing the right thing?

I felt bad at first, then I did some digging. It is his second time shooting and killing someone. Then I saw the other full length video, not sure I agree with how he handled the situation but I wasn't there. http://www.worldstaruncut.com/uncut/76554

I hope you are charged with murder when a drunk driver crashes into your car and dies. That's basically what you're saying....the cop defended himself just like any "ordinary citizen" SHOULD....why would he be charged for doing the right thing?

Defended him self from what exactly? We don't know. See the video I posted.

If you high on meth, parents did something wrong.  This is not a good person, period.

People that have done meth:

John F Kennedy

Robert Downey Jr

Andrei Agassi

Eddie Van Halen

Britney Spears

But you're right, they're all terrible people who contributed nothing to society and deserve to be shot dead. I mean, how can Robert Downey Jr's parents be proud of him when he once did meth?

• Like 2

People that have done meth:

John F Kennedy

Robert Downey Jr

Andrei Agassi

Eddie Van Halen

Britney Spears

But you're right, they're all terrible people who contributed nothing to society and deserve to be shot dead. I mean, how can Robert Downey Jr's parents be proud of him when he once did meth?

Considering the guy was so high on meth that he built up a tolerance to the drug that would kill most people, not nearly the same situation.  And the people you mentioned got help and i doubt anyone was proud of them when they did it and probably still not proud when of their past actions.  They cleaned themselves up and sounds like this guy was and has been high all the time.  And the guy that got killed, wasnt the fist time he was in trouble with the law and he didnt follow the commands of the cops.  But how can you when you are so blitzed out of your mind.  Again, the guys fault and no one elses.  And really wouldnt call any one of those people you posted a great person.  They have done great things, some of them, but that does not mean they are great people.

Anyway, thats my opinion...like or not, really dont care.  But a good person wouldnt put themselves in a situation like that.  He would have survied and gotten help and cleaned up, great. But still doesnt make him a good person.  But that is a lot of assuming at this point as we will never know.

And really all I have to say one the subject.  Again, my opinion on the situation and I dont expect anyone to like or agree with it.

• Like 2

Unfortunate.

What more can be said about this tragedy? The Police Officer, trained to be hyper-aware, dealing with unknowns, obviously is remorseful at what just occurred (and wished it hadn't). The driver of the vehicle, operating said vehicle under the influence of a dangerous, illegal drug who posed a danger to others (not only to themselves) behaving in an abnormal fashion. It's a "perfect crap storm" situation where almost anything can happen, and did.

Things need to change -- drugs like Meth need to effing go away, and Police Officers need to go to their non-lethals first. The over-arching narrative to all of this, in my view, is everyone needs to wise up a bit, otherwise stuff like this will keep happening.

But Ramirez, who was seated in the back, would not comply and reached for his waistband, police say.

I'm sorry, but if the police tell you to do something and you make shifty motions like reaching for your waistband, you're going to have a bad time. I'm not commenting on whether Morrison's exact actions were correct or not, but "freedom to kill" is one hell of an over-exaggeration about what happened here.

Also (although I admit this is purely going from the report) Morrison says that he recognised Ramirez from an earlier shooting. Much like I now take a fly swatter to any wasp in a 5 metre area from me, I wouldn't hesitate to be on my guard in this situation.

He realised he had made a mistake, and I find that is the main point of the article. Showing a humane side to the police and their awareness of what their actions mean.

With recent articles making accusations of police brutality, it's good to see a humane side. It's just a pity that Officer Morrison had to go through the ordeal. :(

This officer is definitely normal and well balanced. It's great to see humanity and empathy in an unfortunate fatal incident.

Considering the guy was so high on meth that he built up a tolerance to the drug that would kill most people, not nearly the same situation.  And the people you mentioned got help and i doubt anyone was proud of them when they did it and probably still not proud when of their past actions.

Stop it.  :angry: You claimed that he couldn't be a good person, yet when I point out other people who took meth

• Like 2

Unfortunate.

What more can be said about this tragedy? The Police Officer, trained to be hyper-aware, dealing with unknowns, obviously is remorseful at what just occurred (and wished it hadn't). The driver of the vehicle, operating said vehicle under the influence of a dangerous, illegal drug who posed a danger to others (not only to themselves) behaving in an abnormal fashion. It's a "perfect crap storm" situation where almost anything can happen, and did.

Things need to change -- drugs like Meth need to effing go away, and Police Officers need to go to their non-lethals first. The over-arching narrative to all of this, in my view, is everyone needs to wise up a bit, otherwise stuff like this will keep happening.

The trouble with that is some times they don't work. Especially when people are on certain drugs. It just makes them angry. Or the reverse can happen, and then the non-lethal ends up killing the person because of the drugs they're taking have damaged their body in certain ways. Then the cop is sued for wrongful death of everything he owns.

Only in the US. In Germany or the UK you rarely ever hear of a police officer shooting someone dead, let alone if they're unarmed. We have to be clear that this is an issue with US policing, not something that is universal.

You know what else happens with 99.9% of people who deal with cops in the US? They do what the cop tells them and don't get shot by them. It's kind of interesting how that works huh?
  • Like 3

Seems like proper proceedure. Unfortunate but, hey, don't do drugs and comply with what an Officer tells you to do when pulled over.

Only in the US. In Germany or the UK you rarely ever hear of a police officer shooting someone dead, let alone if they're unarmed. We have to be clear that this is an issue with US policing, not something that is universal.

He was warned, he was asked what he was doing, he was given a chance, didnt comply, and was shot because of it.  There are many cops that are shot and killed themselves in situations like this.  But I guess it is ok if cops are shot/killed but if a civilian in shot and killed by a copy, poor person and it should never have happened.

Maybe if the guy wasnt so high all the time, he would have complied and this situation wouldnt of happened.  But who knows.  All we know is he put himself in this situation.

• Like 2