Windows update: identity of bad updates?

I have an OEM laptop and I set my update. For some reason, I had a shopping list of updates, I'd say, to be fair, that most were important updates.

I tend to look over the updates to see if they apply to me. however, the vast were listed under "important."

however, afterwards, my system was messed up. first I got a "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" message with a BSOD. upon reboot, my KERNELBASE.dll went bad or corrupt. it was still in my System32 folder however so much of the OS was missing. steam took a dive as did alot of system important features. I couldn't open control panel.

Q: How does one determine if an update is the culprit?

So I ended up reinstalling Windows 8.1 all over again.

many thanks,

Chris

Well, you could use the recovery and system restore your system back before the update and then install each update 1 by 1 until your system crashes again.

Well, you could use the recovery and system restore your system back before the update and then install each update 1 by 1 until your system crashes again.

whatever it did, completely borked my system. I tried system restore. couldn't get to it. KERNELBASE.dll did me in.

added later:

this is odd. I checked my system restore settings. last install i didn't mess with the last restore settings. But by default, the setting for system restore is turned off. I know the disk implications of using system restore but, for future reference, I'd rather use it and give up some disk space

whatever it did, completely borked my system. I tried system restore. couldn't get to it. KERNELBASE.dll did me in.

Hmm, well system restore is excessable on the recovery partition which boots separately from the Windows partition, so any update installed on the Windows partition shouldn't effect the booting of the recovery partition.