CPU Question

Hello,

I'm going to be building a new PC and I was wondering, is this CPU going to be too much for what I want to do with my PC? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900&FM=1 or do you think I could get something a little cheaper that will still do the job?

Besides the basic web browsing etc.. I mainly want to play some PC games as well as live stream PC,PS3 games with OBS.

Thanks in advanced!

Hello,

I'm going to be building a new PC and I was wondering, is this CPU going to be too much for what I want to do with my PC? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900&FM=1 or do you think I could get something a little cheaper that will still do the job?

Besides the basic web browsing etc.. I mainly want to play some PC games as well as live stream PC,PS3 games with OBS.

Thanks in advanced!

Would be helpful to know what your needs are? 

Eg. Ultramaxxed ubercrazy graphics

On the same site,

And honestly, I'm using a 6350 in a workstation/gaming rig I built, ignoring all the crap, they're not bad at all some would say

If you specifically need intel

This'll save you quite some cash without losing too much performance in normal pc use...

In which case, Aheer is right, i74770 is for enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

Would be helpful to know what your needs are? 

Eg. Ultramaxxed ubercrazy graphics

In which case, Aheer is right, i74770 is for enthusiasts. 

I would just like to play some PC games smoothly. and to be able to live stream through OBS without any troubles.

Why are you looking at the Core i7 4770?

The Core i7 4790 is newer, has a faster clock speed, and the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116987

I didnt know there was a newer version. I just went to newegg then selected CPUs then sorted by best rating.

I would just like to play some PC games smoothly. and to be able to live stream through OBS without any troubles.

I didnt know there was a newer version. I just went to newegg then selected CPUs then sorted by best rating.

You can play almost all the games smoothly with Ultra settings on Core i5, don't waste money on Core i7, instead spend on High end Graphic Card.

• Like 3

I've got an 3rd generation i5 and can run most games on Ultra/High at 1920x1080.  If you've got the money, get the i7, but from what you've said, I would get an i5.

You can play almost all the games smoothly with Ultra settings on Core i5, don't waste money on Core i7, instead spend on High end Graphic Card.

To add to Xahid's post, an ssd will be of benefit also

I went cheap in Nov 2010 and bought a 6 core AMD phenom II underclocked to 2.6 ghz for $600 instead of a $900 i5. Big mistake as it went obsolete fairly quickly. Sure it ran business software and even some VMware sesstions ok.

But SWTOR in 2011 came out and had trouble due to the cpu being so poor with IPC per clock. That i5 if I bought it would still run my stuff fine. I am not really heavy into gaming. But Skyrim too suffered just 1 year after it came out!

But an i7?? No. That is silly as it is meant for people running many tasks in parrelal, compiling software, or running virtual machine sessions. Even video editing these days shows little improvement over a a cheaper i5 unless you do several 4ks at the same time.

Get an i5 unless you have a professional return on investment you can give at all?

If money is an issue for sure save it and buy a better video card or bigger SSD. This my friend will make games much run quicker. Loading 10 gig levels on a mechanical disk can take up to 5 minutes! 512 gig SSD makes it load in 45 seconds.

If you played no games at all I would say i3. A phone with the cpu power of an Pentium IV (Galaxy S5 or iphone 6) is fine for typing a document and loading websites. Hence Windows XP is live and well as much as it pisses off developers and Neowinners alike :-)

They still work fine for basic office use. So decide carefully. An i3 will go obsolete quicker for the newer generation of multithreaded games optimized for the PS4 and XBoxone but it depends if you are light gamer or not and your budget.

• Like 1

I have a 1st gen core i7 and that still runs BF4 at high-ultra (because I have a much newer R9 280X GPU).

Smooth gaming is far more related to the graphics card than the CPU, I'd get the i5 Aheer linked and spend the difference on a better graphics card and/or an SSD is you've not got that in your planned build (it is essential these days for a good setup).

Also AMD is pretty far behind in CPU tech atm, stick with Intel if you can.

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll spend more on the graphics card like you all suggested. I found this one  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024 Is this a pretty good one or should I get something a little more powerful? EDIT: forgot to mention I do have a SSD drive on my current PC that I can use for the new build.

Also AMD is pretty far behind in CPU tech atm, stick with Intel if you can.

+1 No matter what they say, Intel is pretty solid nowadays. Though AMD does have some offerings, their current desktop line up is over a year old  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piledriver_(microarchitecture) ) Intels offerings are more power efficient, more IPC efficient and generally better (not withstanding price/performance, however if you then factor in electricity savings, it adds up in favor of intel)

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll spend more on the graphics card like you all suggested. I found this one  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024 Is this a pretty good one or should I get something a little more powerful? EDIT: forgot to mention I do have a SSD drive on my current PC that I can use for the new build.

For a balanced gaming PC you need to aim towards a 2/3 CPU/GPU price ratio. So yes, the 750 Ti is pretty weaksauce in a i5 gaming build.

+1 No matter what they say, Intel is pretty solid nowadays. Though AMD does have some offerings, their current desktop line up is over a year old  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piledriver_(microarchitecture) ) Intels offerings are more power efficient, more IPC efficient and generally better (not withstanding price/performance, however if you then factor in electricity savings, it adds up in favor of intel)

True, but in balance, they cost no where near as much, ok they cannot compete against the intel variants, but if AMD disappeared, there's nothing stopping intel charging whatever the hell they want due to there being no competition

For the record I am in the AMD camp, but I do recognise they don't hold a candle to intel, and in normal pc use and gaming, the difference to me is negligable

Thanks for the suggestion. Someone else had recommended The GTX 970. I'll check the one out that you linked to as well.

The 970 is a beast.  Pair that with the i7 and yeah, good times.

The 970 is a beast.  Pair that with the i7 and yeah, good times.

Yes it is with my 4790k.